• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It doesn't look that hard

signmeup

It's a skill like any other.... it takes know-how and practice. (I haven't learned to do it yet but I probably should)

quicksigns

I can remember it took my brother 2.5 days to hand letter a van about 30yrs ago. I can do it in about hour today.

Last edited:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Easy peezy ... what is that ... $1 brushes from home depot, and some craft paint ... I think I'll jump right in on that side of the business. :peace!:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
For any of you wanting to learn how to hand letter, don't take any tips from 'Dusty'.

He thins his paint down w-a-y- too far, he uses the brushes in a fashion they aren't meant to be used and his layout is atrocious. Not to mention his execution is strange. Other than a fine arts artist... no decent hand letterer will paint with his hand in the air continuously dangling around on their pinkie. Hand over fist, mahl stick, just a plain yard stick.... you need to be steady to pull long strokes and your rounds. Otherwise, go back to painting paper window posters where you can blaze through it and keep the accuracy with speed.

Not everyone paints or holds their brush[es] the same, but there are some fundamentals which no one can change for any reason. Even lefties will follow the same rules.

phototec

NO COMPUTER.

NO DESIGN SOFTWARE.

NO VINYL CUTTER (PLOTTER).

NO APPLICATION TAPE.

NO RIP SOFTWARE.

NO PRINTER.

NO LAMINATOR.

NO CUTTING TABLE.

Wow, low overhead, just some brushes and paint.

Sweet, maybe an electrician can lean to do this...

:thumb:

Arlo Kalon 2.0

GEE.... I wonder why I should bother making a hand lettering dvd now? He really DEMONSTRATED how to make the strokes. To be fair, I'd say his ability is about at 85% tho.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
GEE.... I wonder why I should bother making a hand lettering dvd now? He really DEMONSTRATED how to make the strokes. To be fair, I'd say his ability is about at 85% tho.

You are far too generous. :notworthy:

He appears to be self-taught. So, in that sense... he's further than some, but still only about 35% or 40% as a professional. He'd have to break some bad habits, which is hard to do. Who do you know, using oils adds thinner directly to the paint instead of paletting it ?? Who do you know will put a sign in front of his/her place, let alone make a movie doing such amateurish work ?? In my first year, I might've made stuff like that, but to make movies and act like you're doing some kind of masterpiece is stoopid. Who do you know who uses a sword on their side instead of a flat liner ?? Sure, sometimes we'll cut a corner here or there in a pinch..... but this guy's making a movie on 'How to'. What da fug ?? Why use p!ss poor techniques ?? Other than straight lines, I didn't see him demonstrate jack. Anyone can paint a straight line or a curve. I wonder how many drips he had to catch or wipe up ?? He introduced about five bad things in about 1-1/2 minutes of movie. That's pretty good.:thumb:
Heck.... he can't even afford a pencil sharpener........... :doh:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
For any of you wanting to learn how to hand letter, don't take any tips from 'Dusty'.

He thins his paint down w-a-y- too far, he uses the brushes in a fashion they aren't meant to be used and his layout is atrocious. Not to mention his execution is strange. Other than a fine arts artist... no decent hand letterer will paint with his hand in the air continuously dangling around on their pinkie. Hand over fist, mahl stick, just a plain yard stick.... you need to be steady to pull long strokes and your rounds. Otherwise, go back to painting paper window posters where you can blaze through it and keep the accuracy with speed.

Not everyone paints or holds their brush[es] the same, but there are some fundamentals which no one can change for any reason. Even lefties will follow the same rules.

+2 What Gino said!

phototec

You are far too generous. :notworthy:

He appears to be self-taught. So, in that sense... he's further than some, but still only about 35% or 40% as a professional. He'd have to break some bad habits, which is hard to do. Who do you know, using oils adds thinner directly to the paint instead of paletting it ?? Who do you know will put a sign in front of his/her place, let alone make a movie doing such amateurish work ?? In my first year, I might've made stuff like that, but to make movies and act like you're doing some kind of masterpiece is stoopid. Who do you know who uses a sword on their side instead of a flat liner ?? Sure, sometimes we'll cut a corner here or there in a pinch..... but this guy's making a movie on 'How to'. What da fug ?? Why use p!ss poor techniques ?? Other than straight lines, I didn't see him demonstrate jack. Anyone can paint a straight line or a curve. I wonder how many drips he had to catch or wipe up ?? He introduced about five bad things in about 1-1/2 minutes of movie. That's pretty good.:thumb:
Heck.... he can't even afford a pencil sharpener........... :doh:

Gino, you made a good call.

See how much face time he has in the video, like he made the video to feature himself, not a good How-To video.

I have seen many How-To vids, on YouTube, the better videos don't necessarily show face close-ups, they concentrate on procedures...

:thumb:

neato

Wow. I thought he did pretty good. Guess that shows how much I know. He makes my letters look even more horrid.

neato

BTW, maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any claim of that being a how-to video.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
BTW, maybe I'm missing something, but I didn't see any claim of that being a how-to video.

That's my point... it's not at all how to..... it's more... how NOT to. So, what's he doing this for ??

I'll bet like we all talked about some weeks ago..... Arlo could put together a nice 20 minute video which would help and educate lotsa people... new and old alike. One's never to old to learn some new tricks or techniques, but to a trained eye, Dusty would be that guy who was labeled one of the town's worst hand painters and therefore probably a troll using lowball tactics.

neato

I understand you're point. But I think the video was to promote his business. To me, his end product looked just fine. If he's getting results and making a living, who's to say he's doing it wrong?

No offense intended Gino. I know those who have learned this craft have the right to complain about bottom feeders. But I think there are people out there doing worse things to the industry than a guy who's trying to actually be artistic.

I for one am glad to see that video. It makes me want to keep practicing.