• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

It's time to buy a little plotter...

Tim4

I have been blessed to do business with a couple of fine merchant members on this fine forum (Neato and Sign Team Alison come to mind) but after two years of selling signage, I find myself looking for my first piece of equipment.

Vinyl cutter, small, preferably 24" or so. Name brand, used. I have sent printed products to 34 states and 2 Canadian provinces but I want to have the ability to do DOT#'s in house and when a good customer called and wanted an hours sign for his store door, I felt kind of dumb not being able to turn it around as fast as I would have liked.

I am not an artist, and I have no desire to bring production in house. I don't want a printer, I don't want anything big or fancy. Hopefully, I won't need to use it more than a time or two a month.

So, who has what sitting in the corner for sale?

Thanks,

-tim

splizaat

You've run a sign business for 2 years without a piece of equipment? Good for you!!!! If you've been in business for two years with little to no overhead, I'd be looking for new - surely you can afford it! A 24-30" SUMMA plotter with a stand is around $2400 I believe, and it'll give you a lifetime of income with no issues. Don't be cheap :)

I'm referring to SummaCut D75 - bulletproof machine. I'd suggest 30" instead of 24" or there'll be plenty of jobs where you hoped you had a 30"

Dizimoto

Roland GX24 - Sits on a desktop taking up no room - Cuts straight from Illustrator - Cheap Second Hand - does a nice Job

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Admitting you have no artistic or design abilities is the first step of understanding your strengths..... or lack of. Even a simple hours sign or delivery plaque, need a sense of layout . Why not find a good local guy who will work with you on a few jobs a month ?? I'm sure they'd work with you. If we were closer, we'd do it for you, but it sounds like need someone down the street, so you can pick it up right away.

neato

Summa, Graphtec and Roland would all treat you well Tim. Even older models will be fine for your needs. I'm using an old Graphtec CE-2000, I'd guess at least 15-20 years old, but works great for my limited needs. Very accurate and never lets me down.

I've also owned a couple of older roland Camm-1 plotters and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. They never die.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I second Summa... I've tried using Roland at past employers , and they are ok, but long ago, when I had to buy a plotter at one company I worked at, I chose Summa (and I looked at them all)... when it was time for me to buy for my own company, I didn't even look around. I went with Summa. 24" is fine for what I am doing, I doubt that I would want anything larger... I do wish I tangential rather than drag knife.

splizaat

I second Summa... I've tried using Roland at past employers , and they are ok, but long ago, when I had to buy a plotter at one company I worked at, I chose Summa (and I looked at them all)... when it was time for me to buy for my own company, I didn't even look around. I went with Summa. 24" is fine for what I am doing, I doubt that I would want anything larger... I do wish I tangential rather than drag knife.

Tangential is STILL a drag knife, it just picks up the blade an twists it on he corners. You really wish for tangential over a wider plotter? Unless you're doing clear bra I just don't see the value

player

Many many years ago I had a tangential cutter that was truey tangential. It did sometimes leave little tick marks as it turned.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Tangential is STILL a drag knife, it just picks up the blade an twists it on he corners. You really wish for tangential over a wider plotter? Unless you're doing clear bra I just don't see the value

The one that I bought years ago was a true tangential machine. It was a 48" plotter that ran off a serial cable...

It's so much better at small detailed work, but a bit slower. Very rarely have it wished for a wider machine. My 24" does me just fine...

Jackpine

Graphtec CE series is a big bang for the buck. The CE3000Mk2 was the first optical eye for contour cutting prints. I believe the CE6000 is their current model. They have a 15" also but 24" is more versatile. I have seen CE5000 15 and 24 inch on eBay often as low as $350.00.
Summa has an excellent cutter also.

I bought my CE3000Mk2 new and use is everyday for vinyl and contour cutting. I use a Summa DR75 also I picked up for $1300.00.