• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Job pricing help

Acho

Hi,

I have big job to quote.

The customer wants 7500 stickers to be printed and eventually cutted to individual stickers.

The size of the stickers is 5" x 5.5" black text only on clear vinyl with anti grafity overlaminate.

What would you charge just for printing and laminating and what extra for cutting them.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Probably sub it out to someone who has all the machinery to do it automatically.

T_K

At that quantity, we'd be hard pressed to get a reasonable price doing it in-house compared to outsourcing it. Not to mention it'd tie up our printer for too long, since we have only one print/cut machine.

1-color on clear is an easy job to outsource and still make a good profit.

TammieH

figure the square footage of vinyl and laminate you would use,
+ whatever you charge for printing similar amount
+ Your Labor
+ Your mark up for material

If you have never printed anything like this you will have to take a stab at labor cost to cut out individual decals
If you have printed small quantities, use that as a starting point

Then get a quote for outsourcing

To put this nicely, I have always thought one should learn to price on their own.

Acho

The info provided is highly appreciated.

The question is what would you charge per sticker for order of such volume. I did calculations but want to hear what yu guys would charge to see if I am on the right track.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know......... let us in on what you want or need and maybe we'll tell ya what we'd do/get. This is your project. You go first.

Acho

What I was thinking is $0.50 per sticker uncut.

For cutting I was thinking to add $0.20 per sticker if they decided that I have to cut them

rossmosh

Stouse's suggested retail is $.25. I easily found two sources online to sell for $.57 and $.39 cut and ready to go.

As everyone has already stated, this is a job you outsource. If you order from Stouse and even pay the full $.25, you can turn around and charge $.50 and make $1875. Assuming the order takes 2 hours to complete between dealing with the customer, emails, artwork, and invoicing, that's still $937.50/hr. It's hard to beat that.

Acho

Stouse's suggested retail is $.25. I easily found two sources online to sell for $.57 and $.39 cut and ready to go.

As everyone has already stated, this is a job you outsource. If you order from Stouse and even pay the full $.25, you can turn around and charge $.50 and make $1875. Assuming the order takes 2 hours to complete between dealing with the customer, emails, artwork, and invoicing, that's still $937.50/hr. It's hard to beat that.

I also would outsource this order if regular finish is requested. I have not found any supplier who can ofer them with anti grafity laminate

player

You have laid out the 7,500 squares to see how much material it will take?

If you did them in batches of 500, that would be 15 sheets. Offer better materials, and charge more. It won't take more than 15-30 minutes to cut up 500 decals x 15= between 4-8 hrs.

ams

For that amount, I'd increase the pressure with a 60 degree blade and actually have the printer/plotter cut them out fully, wears down the cutting strip but worth it for large orders.
With normal laminate I'd be at about 55 cents per decal. However with the special laminate you would need to adjust your pricing for that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Same here...... about $1.25 each

Still, I'd farm it out. I like to keep as much as possible in-house, but not when it's not a big money maker. You can double or triple your cost having someone else do it, while you make money on more profitable jobs.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Ok but still need to know what would be the price per sticker

"The price per sticker" depends on a lot of things...namely your COST per sticker first. Then how much YOU need to profit from each sticker to keep your business running.
Since your cost per sticker is completely different than any of OUR cost per sticker...and your required profit per sticker is different than any of ours...it won't help you figure out what YOU NEED to charge for them. All it will tell you is how much WE will charge in our area.

Single color...get them screen printed on sheets or on roll with drum printer then laminate them yourself with graffiti guard.
Then figure out how much you need to charge so that IF you get the job, it will be worth it because it makes you enough profit for your time and overhead.
IF they don't go for it, then you did what you could and they will have to find someone else who can pull off what you couldn't.
You gotta be willing to let some jobs go if they won't pay you enough for them.

Acho

Guys,

may be it is me not being clear - the question is what would you charge if it is your inhouse job.

The reason for this post is not that I want someone to do my pricing but to see what what others will charge.

I know it is differend for everyone.

I don't want to overcharge the customer but also don't want to do it for stupid cheap.

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Guys,

may be it is me not being clear - the question is what would you charge if it is your inhouse job.

The reason for this post is not that I want someone to do my pricing but to see what what others will charge.

I know it is differend for everyone.

I don't want to overcharge the customer but also don't want to do it for stupid cheap.

Just a side note...most of the time people on here don't blurt out their pricing. It's kinda relegated to the premium Paid Subscription rooms since any person/customer can have an account here and even pull up these threads through google.
Also, and addendum to that side note....seeing what 5 or 6 peoples sticker prices are won't tell you if you are charging too much for you area unless they are all in the same area, with the same quality service and product. And it sure as root'n toot'n won't tell you if you are making money or being stupid cheap. Because technically, Stouse is doing them stupid cheap to you so you can mark it up and resell it. So are they really doing it stupid cheap or is everyone else that resells them...doing them stupid expensive?
You're just not going to get the kind of answer you want here...and if you do...it won't even apply to your anyway.
My advice to you if you're going to try price stickers....go on ebay and try and undercut those guys by 5% and you'll get to the top of the list and have as many customers as your heart desires.

rossmosh

Here's my simple opinion on pricing:

You need to think both global and local. Global = if my customer tried to buy them online, what would they pay? Local = If my customer tried to buy them from a local competitor, what would they pay? It does not matter what another shop charges that is 500 miles away. It just doesn't matter. So once you get those two pieces of key data, then you sit down and compare it to your cost of making them. You'll quickly figure out if it makes sense to do it yourself or farm it out.

To me, you're going about this project backwards. You shouldn't even be thinking about pricing it and doing it yourself. I'm not even really in your industry and I know you shouldn't even be considering doing the job in house. The real project is finding a vendor that will do the job you want the way you want it. Once they price it out, simply mark it up between 30-60% and move on with your life. My guess is if you call any of these big sticker producers, they'll do it the way you want.