• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminate Edge Print Life

paul luszcz

We stopped using our Gerber Edge for outdoor work because the prints faded far too soon. Because different collors fade at different rates, No Parking Signs became Parking signs after a few years when the red circle with slash faded to nothing while the black remained as new.

Has anyone solved this problem by laminating the Edge print? If so, what particular laminate would you recommend.

We have an order of forty traffic signs to print, some on reflective, some on standard vinyl. I don't want to thermally print them, laminate them and find them fading out prematurely again.

Has Gerber tested certain laminates and reported how long they last outdoors when laminated?

jfiscus

Rap Master
The Edge machine here has been printing daily since it was new (20 years ago), and we have long life on all of our prints. Almost all were for municipal jobs until recently when more are for commercial.
We use 3M 8519 (and 8520/8518 some) and the prints last 7+ years. Many are 10-15 years old and still going strong.

Un-laminated most last maybe 6 months.

AF

The Edge machine here has been printing daily since it was new (20 years ago), and we have long life on all of our prints. Almost all were for municipal jobs until recently when more are for commercial.
We use 3M 8519 (and 8520/8518 some) and the prints last 7+ years. Many are 10-15 years old and still going strong.

Un-laminated most last maybe 6 months.

Excellent information. I see faded edge prints all over out here, but the ones laminated or shot with clear do exponentially better.

artofacks1

Isn't there that uv print to protect it?

We're do you get the blanks to make the signs you Mont the print to ?

Billct2

We Frog Juice almost all our Edge prints. This not only protects the print but also pops the color.
We have also applied clear vinyl over some that had especially rough enviroments.

Jase

We get at least 5 years unlaminated from Edge prints?? Aren't they warranted for 3 snd 5 year outdoor use?

jfiscus

Rap Master
We get at least 5 years unlaminated from Edge prints?? Aren't they warranted for 3 snd 5 year outdoor use?
Maybe Indoors they would last that long, not out in the sun.
I don't like to take chances; we laminate everything that is printed.