• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laminator suitable for Gerber edge printed vinyl

alistair

Is there a suitable roll laminator for laminating gerber edge printed stock?
one that won't cost the earth, i'd only be doing a meter or so at a time.
some of the things i am printing need to have a high gloss finish.

Billct2

We mostly use Frogjuice, it is easy to apply and gives the color a nice pop, and it's "glossy". If it's not available over there there are other products like Clear shield that are similar.
If we need to apply a vinyl film we do it by hand. For the amount of times we need to do it it works fine.

Billct2

Yes, we usually apply with a foam brush. The only thing is you can't "work" it, you have to apply a nice even coat quickly, it starts to set pretty fast. You can't apply a second coat. If you need to add a second coat you have to use the spray cans. But we have very few issues and have been using it for many many years.

FunkotronXL

Check out ledco laminators, educator model is more affordable for what you describe. Wouldn't recommend it for long runs, skews a lot. Should open up a variety of laminate options for ya.

Not a salesman, just using their models.

alistair

We mostly use Frogjuice, it is easy to apply and gives the color a nice pop, and it's "glossy". If it's not available over there there are other products like Clear shield that are similar.
If we need to apply a vinyl film we do it by hand. For the amount of times we need to do it it works fine.

Any issues using this on shiny gold and silver print?

SlikGRFX

Any cheap eBay laminator will do the job. Just get a 30" or something like that and you can also use it for mounting prints on small signs, applying application tape etc.

Frog juice and liquid laminates are messy in my experience, and they sometimes stink so you'll need a room with adequate ventilation and drying space.

You could also use a gloss scratchguard foil. These work fine over medal foils and don't kill the mirror finish.