• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Laserable transfer tape recommendation

bigben

I'm making acrylic signs using my laser. Right now, I'm using VHB tape but I'm looking for something I could install on the sheet of acrylic and cut everything with the laser. It will be mostly for small sign like 6inX6in but it could be 1/2 thick acrylic sometime. If I could use this same material and technique for larger piece for interior signs (mostly stick on painted drywall) it would be a must. I was looking at 3M 9502 or orabond 1375 since they are making 24in roll. I'm looking for 12in, 24in and 48in wide roll. I have a roll ok drytac multitac that was laying around and work well for the test I made so far.

That is the industry standard about this and/or what is your recommendation?

Thank you.

bigben

Bron Tapes Killer red if you need thin Or their new Killer Foam if you need a VHB alternative. You can order 48" logs or cut down
I've found their website to see the specifications. From the information there, it seems their tapes are not available over 2in wide. Is it because it would be a special order? Is it something that you have experience with with for the specification I'm looking for?

CanuckSigns

The industry standard is 3m 468 or 467, it's a very thin tape, available in 12" or 24" wide rolls, and is extremely sticky. It works great for bonding letters to flat surfaces (no more texture than painted drywall)

Of you want a foam tape, I know gemini used a white VHB tape before they laser, it melts slightly around the edge, but seems to work well.

Any decent tape supplier should be able to cut the foam tape to whatever width you want.

Just make sure whatever you get does not have any PVC in the tape or the liner.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I've found their website to see the specifications. From the information there, it seems their tapes are not available over 2in wide. Is it because it would be a special order? Is it something that you have experience with with for the specification I'm looking for?
Yes, call them and get a rep. Their website is only the common items and options. We buy 12", 24", and 48" from our local branch all the time. We also use it for banner tape.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Was just wondering about this yesterday. I know Gemini seems to use mostly Orabond foam tape now and seems to laser cut through it, so I'm assuming it's safe.

Still have to go check out those locally made lasers soon.....starting to become more and more appealing.

I wasn't aware that you could get get foam tape in larger widths, that's good to know. 3M 467 I knew because we're sitting on a 24" ($2k) log of it.

bigben

The industry standard is 3m 468 or 467, it's a very thin tape, available in 12" or 24" wide rolls, and is extremely sticky. It works great for bonding letters to flat surfaces (no more texture than painted drywall)

Of you want a foam tape, I know gemini used a white VHB tape before they laser, it melts slightly around the edge, but seems to work well.

Any decent tape supplier should be able to cut the foam tape to whatever width you want.

I've asked Gemini and they told me they are using orabond 3594. But If I check the specifications, it has a red liner. The letters I've ordered in the past all had white paper liner with blue oracal logo on it. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada?
Was just wondering about this yesterday. I know Gemini seems to use mostly Orabond foam tape now and seems to laser cut through it, so I'm assuming it's safe.

Still have to go check out those locally made lasers soon.....starting to become more and more appealing.

I wasn't aware that you could get get foam tape in larger widths, that's good to know. 3M 467 I knew because we're sitting on a 24" ($2k) log of it.
I've bought a thunder laser in December. It's a 63inX40in bed and 130w power. The learning curve is a bit hard because was under the impression it would be as easy as a vinyl cutter. The principle are the same except for the amount of air you have to take in consideration. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

johnnysigns

I use the Orafol 1375 and 1377 adhesive. We order it by the 48" roll when we can get our hands on it. It's really good stuff and it's a lot cheaper than most anything I've found that was similar - including that killer red tape.

bigben

I use the Orafol 1375 and 1377 adhesive. We order it by the 48" roll when we can get our hands on it. It's really good stuff and it's a lot cheaper than most anything I've found that was similar - including that killer red tape.
And what do you use for thicker or foam tape that would be also available in 48in?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I've bought a thunder laser in December. It's a 63inX40in bed and 130w power. The learning curve is a bit hard because was under the impression it would be as easy as a vinyl cutter. The principle are the same except for the amount of air you have to take in consideration. If you have any questions, I would be glad to help.

Thanks Ben! I might just take you up on that. Good luck with your search! I hope you can find some larger foam tape. I believe there are also foam tape dispensers that could work, just add a bunch of strips to your sheet before laser cutting. I'd be curious to know how Gemini applies it their sheets.

bigben

Thanks Ben! I might just take you up on that. Good luck with your search! I hope you can find some larger foam tape. I believe there are also foam tape dispensers that could work, just add a bunch of strips to your sheet before laser cutting. I'd be curious to know how Gemini applies it their sheets.
No problem at all. Hit me up when you want.

I prefer a single sheet than lot of strip since I will be making mostly smaller stuff. The reason why gemini put strip is because they want us to put silicone between the strip for extra strength. I never did it and never got a problem.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I prefer a single sheet than lot of strip since I will be making mostly smaller stuff. The reason why gemini put strip is because they want us to put silicone between the strip for extra strength. I never did it and never got a problem.

Interesting, I never looked at it that way! I just assumed that was all you can get. Good to know.

johnnysigns

I've asked Gemini and they told me they are using orabond 3594. But If I check the specifications, it has a red liner. The letters I've ordered in the past all had white paper liner with blue oracal logo on it. Maybe it's because I'm in Canada?

I run their next size down, shoot me a PM if you've got any questions. I ran a boss laser for roughly 5yrs before I bought the Thunder so I'm fairly well versed in operating and setting up your material for cutting. I've got a pretty robust materials library with a bunch of useful materials that they don't list I can share with you.

For thicker tape we'd likely apply manually and use VHB, but I've found the 1375/77 both have held up outside for a number of years with acrylic letters on a nice smooth surface. I installed laser cut acrylic letters to a window storefront and they were up for 3yrs on the glass on the exterior of the building until we pulled them off - they were back flooded with the orabond adhesive.

Also I believe Gemini's switched to 100% orafol adhesives at this point.