• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layout critique

Solego

Good afternoon all

I am doing a cut vinyl job for a friend's business. I am not a graphic artist by any means, nor do I have any formal design education.

I would like some feedback, if you would be so kind, so that I may improve my skills and expand my knowledge.

Feel free to be mean and call me dirty names.

The design was done in Adobe Illustrator CC 2014 with the intent of using Oracal 751.

Thanx everyone.

trailer-side-mockup.jpg
trailer-end-mockup.jpg

Solego

Thanks for the feedback.

What color combinations would you suggest?

And what do you think about the red secondary text? I am not so sure about it. It's bright and easy to see. But, I worry it may be too bright and blur out when people try to read it from afar.

J Hill Designs

ditch the red dropshade, change the laundry list to black, keep the top copy away from the top a bit

side to side negative space isn't bad, but its crowded on the top

shoresigns

Pick up a copy of Mastering Layout: On the Art of Eye Appeal by Mike Stevens and read it at least 3 times.

If you want to make signs AND do your own layouts, you need to at least learn the basics of how to make a layout that is both appealing and effective.

Craig Sjoquist

Well I am not gonna slam ya since it is readable, more than I can say for my next door neighbors long trailers that park in front of my place, that a long time sign company did for trade, (just happen to know this) & very few of there signs look or are read well.

Think about what you are trying to say, the most important message & clients customers ...Motorcycle Safety

Group into 3s your main copy in this case (the who & what), group the 4 words into 3 sizes to look at, or if you will 3 different weights of copy.

The next group is (where) phone number & or website

Next is information in this case the blah blah blah (meaningless babble) yes the tag line is good but the name is very long so it becomes babble.

You kinda did this already, so some tweaking is in order.

Now if you truly want to learn how to layout advertisements Mike Stevens wrote a book Mastering Layouts, kinda a sign bibile for this.

As for red & black together rarely does it work well.
As for using red keep it to a minimum like the main focus only or where it adds color without taking away from a stronger message making both confusing to look at.

Hope this helps, PS there some good sign shops in your area that charge good money, so I hope you get serious & you will be a welcomed addition.

Solego

You guys have been extremely helpful. I'm going to give it another crack on the layout with everyone's advice and come back with what I hope to be an improvement.

Now, what about drop shadows? Without reading the book suggested, what are some good color combos?

Mike

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Or, use lots of color and larger images... this can be cut vinyl using 3 colors....

Attachments

• motorcycle.jpg
    motorcycle.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 67

Rick

That is definitely beyond my skill level. I don't think I would even know how to design that Illustrator.

What does Illustrator have to do with it?

It's layout using a rectangle, type, outlines/strokes and clipart the same way you used it... just sized and rearranged. I think the only tool you might struggle with is "expand" and "pathfinder"
and even then, it's a breeze once you use it

On the install:

-- you would lay down the red first with the copy reverse weeded
-- next the silver motorcycle outline, Gainesville and stripe
-- then the white motorcycle over the silver
-- then the website/number and black stripe

That is definitely beyond my skill level. I don't think I would even know how to design that Illustrator.

That's exactly what I was guessing as well. Those layouts are very effective, but they might be a bit overwhelming for an amateur to design and apply. If you're not well versed in Adobe Illustrator, might I recommend trying Corel Draw? Learn by watching the included video tutorials and working along with them and you will learn the basic functions in a few days. Corel Draw is seriously some of the most user friendly software I have ever encountered.

You have been given great advice. Everything I would suggest has already been suggested. You definitely want to give your layout room to breathe. Keep a reasonable amount of negative space around the perimeter. Running the copy along the top edge isn't working. Take your three lines of copy, space them equally, and center it between the top and bottom. It looks like you've got a bit of room to work with, you just need to use it more effectively with your spacial relationships. Designing while utilizing a grid may help you some.

As was also already stated, pay attention to the negative space between your lines of copy. It is just as important as the copy.

For color combinations, try using colors that compliment each other, although black will work with about anything, you just need to keep a decent amount of contrast between the black letters and the drop shadow. Black and orange would fit the bike theme, albeit cliche.

Rick

I don't think it matters what software the OP uses...
it's coming up with the idea, practicing layout and knowing
your type, use of space and color.

I remember some time back the argument about learning
design versus learning software. To the OP, don't confuse
software expertise with knowing good layout. I know plenty
of proficient software users who suck at design.

I did my layout in Illustrator, the idea came up in seconds,
the layout, 1o minutes. I'm good at both Corel and Illustrator
and think they are pretty much equal in ability and both require
a lot of practice. I prefer Illustrator because of the type of
work I do.

I included a .pdf... the bottom is how I layed it out with all the strokes
and nothing production ready

The top image is close to production ready with everything welded,
knocked out and layered right.

I used "EXPAND "EXPAND APPEARANCE" "UNGROUP" and "PATHFINDER"
to make it production ready... that took about 5 minutes.

My advice... learn layout, look at good layout... the tools will come to
you about the same time your able to do a decent design. Won't matter
a darn thing if you are fast at your program but can't come up with a decent
layout...

Attachments

• motorcycle.pdf
    279.7 KB · Views: 105

Solego

I remember some time back the argument about learning
design versus learning design. To the OP, don't confuse

I did my layout in Illustrator, the idea came up in seconds,
the layout, 1o minutes. I'm good at both Corel and Illustrator
a lot of practice. I prefer Illustrator because of the type of
work I do.

I included a .pdf... the bottom is how I layed it out with all the strokes
and nothing production ready

The top image is close to production ready with everything welded,
knocked out and layered right.

I used "EXPAND "EXPAND APPEARANCE" "UNGROUP" and "PATHFINDER"
to make it production ready... that took about 5 minutes.

layout...

I'm amazed at how such a simple design can make such a huge visual impact. This really shows the difference between a professional and an amateur like myself.

I'm good at both Corel and Illustrator
a lot of practice.

I disagree completely. I personally feel there is a much steeper learning curve with Adobe Illustrator, which was entirely my point. There is nothing more to be taken from it.

To the OP, don't confuse

layout...

This response is long winded, overly redundant, and off topic. It was never implied that learning a software program will make you a designer. Ever.

Rick

a lot of practice.

I disagree completely. I personally feel there is a much steeper learning curve with Adobe Illustrator, which was entirely my point. There is nothing more to be taken from it.

To the OP, don't confuse

layout...

This response is long winded, overly redundant, and off topic. It was never implied that learning a software program will make you a designer. Ever.

Sowwy

GypsyGraphics

a lot of practice.

To the OP, don't confuse

layout...

long winded??? off topic???? ARE YOU FLIP'N KIDDING ME!!!!!

11pm, and my business partner and i are still working with hours of work still ahead of us... and his idea of taking a mental break, is to pop on s101 and help a fellow member out with a LAYOUT. which is exactly what the OP asked for help with! what he offered was a clean, simple and easily reproduced even with limited skills.

apparently the post you quoted wasn't long winded or redundant enough if you still didn't get, the very point he made was... IT'S NOT ABOUT the software, or which has a steeper learning curve (that came from you, actually).

unbelievable!

and to the OP... where are your manners..... a simple "thank you" is in order.

and to rick.... breaks over, get back to work.