• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Layout critique

joshGN

I can appreciate Rick's layout and design. From an install stand point, using 751, that'd be a nightmare. Considering the rivets on the trailer, that design would have to be implemented with 'wrap' materials.

Here's the same layout, simplified for a true cut vinyl application.

Attachments

• motorcycle-simple.pdf
    45.9 KB · Views: 100

joshGN

Another thing to consider, the passenger side of the trailer most likely has a walk through door.

I'm interested to know how others approach this hurdle in design.

Do you shorten the total image to not over run onto the door? or just do it exactly as the driver side?

Craig Sjoquist

As for shading colors.
Normally..take the background color & make it a bit darker also lighter than letter color,.. Example white background with red, black, blue letters.. good shade choices light grays, for more decorative colors yellows, light greens or any other color ya like as long as light in color.

Good rule of thumb is to look at colors as dark grays to light grays as strength the eye sees.
Red & black are the same strength, they both attract the eye, red excites & brightness, black cartoonish & strength.

Get the book I will tell you everything.

John Butto

just black

I took some ideas from Rick and Josh and just made it real simple as far as the lettering. The motorcycle I did with Illustrator that I had drawn for something else and it does not really need the gray shades. The newbie just needs to buy a roll of black and use Helvetica. Scan the motorcycle and put it in vector and cut in in sections. If it is different on the other side, adjust it, your not splitting atoms.

Attachments

• gainesville.jpg
    gainesville.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 60

Solego

All the help I have recieved so far has been much more than I expected! Thank you everybody for all the input. You have certainly given me much more to think about for design other than slapping some letters on a trailer and calling it a day.

Where does everybody source their clipart like the first motorcycle?

All the help I have recieved so far has been much more than I expected! Thank you everybody for all the input. You have certainly given me much more to think about for design other than slapping some letters on a trailer and calling it a day.

Where does everybody source their clipart like the first motorcycle?

When we use clip art, we use the Vector Art Mega Collection and the Action Illustrated collection. If we can't find what we need from either of those resources we buy online or charge an art fee to create the image from scratch. We mostly just use our clip art for t-shirt design, not so much for signs.