• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

layout station in Omega

beckys

ok, since I am now a home business. I tend to design more in the house, on the Layout station, then e-mail the file to myself in the office, about 20'away.
I double click on the file, and Composer opens-if I have to make any changes etc.
The next day, when I go to open the file, I can't locate it, and even if I can locate it, I click on it, and its says file is empty.
This has happened 3 times within the past week.
Gerber does not support the sep. layout station, now I know why...lol
I am using 2.5, 2.6 was horrible, so I went back to 2.5.
So, other then re-saving the file, which obviously sometimes I'm forgeting to do, any suggestions?

signage

rather than email the file get a usb thumb drive and copy too it and then move it to the design station! If you make changes re save to the thumb drive and take back into design station for back-up purposes!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What happens if you try to open the file on the layout and design station? Does the file have any significant file size to it or is it nearly 0 KB.

The solution we use here is to have our three workstations networked to a hub and then we have a large capacity USB drive on one workstation which is shared by all workstations. The one downside of that is simply that we never turn off that workstation so as to keep the shared drive available ... which is no big deal.

The hub and the USB drive represent an investment of less than $200.

beckys

Fred, I have never done the reverse. But i'll look into the hub.
Until Then I just re-save the file before Doing ANYTHING!!

Lunatic Taskbar

Go to "best buy" locate the USB drives... Kingston produce a 8gb USB drive/Thumb drive for $30.00... buy it If each machine you have has a USB slot you will be set.

You will also have extra copies on each machine, create on machine one, copy to USB drive, then copy to machine two. Three copies incase of corruption.

Thats the quick fix.

The correct and full fix as Fred mentioned is the HUB, cables, and the setup.

beckys

oh, and another weird thing I noticed about the LS is, when I save the file name "thefilename.plt, it will save it as "the_file_name.plt- strange.
Well, I like the 30.00 idea for now. thanks!!

Lunatic Taskbar

I don't know specifically about LSI but some programs ad the extra _ in for compatibility. Some older systems couldn't read:

"my file.doc" due to the space.

where as they would be able to read:

"my_file.doc"

Tony Teveris

Too many holes in your story.
When you say "double click" is it on the file name in the email message or did you save the file on the disk? I’ll assume that you did not save the file on the local disk but “double clicked” on the email message link to the file. If the latter is correct Composer does NOT own that file the email client does and when you “double click” the email client saves the attached file into a “temporary” file most likely in the hidden “Temporary Internet Files” folder and then schedules Composer. When you save back to this file owned by the email client and exit Composer the file most likely gets deleted because it was “temporary”.

No Gerber software will take a file name “thefilename.plt” and give it a name the_file_name.plt or anything like that.
From an email message it is best to save the plt file in your jobs folder and then proceed to use Omega to edit or output the file.

Of course from the info you gave this is a “smart guess” on my part and most would not agree with you on your 2.6 comment. I hope I can save you $30.

beckys

ok Tony, I see what your talking about. It's probably getting stuck in the temp files.
As far as 2.6 goes, been a while but off the top of my head my scanner wouldn't work, and I couldn't get a simple outline around anything, my sentital driver got all screwy on me, and my plotters would not work. It was very frustrating to say the least.
I'm happy it worked well for others.

Marlene

I really love the new features in 2.6 and haven't had any problems that weren't solved in patches. I've kept up with all the upgrades and maybe that's why I haven't had troubles. try downloading and installing all the upgrades from the Gerber site to see if that is a help.