• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Layout tool not working in Onyx 21.1

josephd

I have a few problems with the layout tool.

1. The layout tool is not sending files to printer (Epson R5070) and crashing when I hit cut and print.
2. Cut files are being "warped?" as in cut lines are not even close to what has printed (1/2" off left and right). This is not a cutter alignment issue (Graphtec FC8600) because when I print directly from the rip queue, it cuts perfectly.
3. Cutter marks cannot be edited within the layout tool. The marks that are default are too small and too close to the print for the cutter to read correctly every time. I have been able to change these when I print directly from the rip queue, though.

I use it for printing vinyl labels in multiple ~60" sheets with 4" vertical spacing between sheets. If there is a way to do it without using the layout tool, I am open to doing that as well. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Joseph

josephd

The way I would accomplish it, would be to create a custom page size in RIP Queue and use conserve media and Best fit.
I've never played around with custom page sizes but it's an interesting idea. The page size won't always be exactly the same for best yield on the labels so I'm not sure how that would work. Can you print multiple pages without stopping the print?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I've never played around with custom page sizes but it's an interesting idea. The page size won't always be exactly the same for best yield on the labels so I'm not sure how that would work. Can you print multiple pages without stopping the print?
Yes, and you can make as many as you want, but in all honesty seeking out the best size is best left to automation tools. The system I have built on the OneVision platform can do thousands of calculations in seconds.

josephd

Follow up question, are you doing standard nesting or trying to true shape nest?
Just standard nesting. I think since software like OneVision is out of our price range, I will just arrange them on sheets in Illustrator and print them that way. Might take a little longer setting them up like this, but when we get reorders it will be quicker.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
You can set up one job with as many copies as you need and then copy that job again as many times as you need. Add top/bottom margin to your liking.
Then select "print jobs individually" and if you have your full queue set up you can select "print automatically".

josephd

You can set up one job with as many copies as you need and then copy that job again as many times as you need. Add top/bottom margin to your liking.
Then select "print jobs individually" and if you have your full queue set up you can select "print automatically".
I have tried this, however, the printer we are using, Epson R5070, has to cure the previous print completely and then come back up to print the next job. This would make it take quite a bit longer and also double heat the print which has caused issues in the past. There may be a setting to change this, but I haven't found it

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Does it not have continuous printing? Onyx will just keep on sending data job after job. There shouldn't be a gap unless Epson really doesn't support it.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Just standard nesting. I think since software like OneVision is out of our price range, I will just arrange them on sheets in Illustrator and print them that way. Might take a little longer setting them up like this, but when we get reorders it will be quicker.
Check out O2Creative or ECut for a faster nesting process in Illustrator. Alternatively, you can do it in Onyx, set a maximum sheet size, and let it nest.

For instance we use a maximum sheet size of 120" most times on our Summa, Onyx will generate how ever many fit and then make additional sheets if needed.

josephd

Check out O2Creative or ECut for a faster nesting process in Illustrator. Alternatively, you can do it in Onyx, set a maximum sheet size, and let it nest.

For instance we use a maximum sheet size of 120" most times on our Summa, Onyx will generate how ever many fit and then make additional sheets if needed.
This works! Thank you!!