• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

LEF2-200 rear panel removal to accommodate a large part to print...

Novadon

LEF2-200
I have the needed (13" deep, 20" wide) "printable area" to ink my part placed at the conventional 0/0 corner reference position on the table, but my piece has an additional portion (total depth of 17 1/4") and will physically hit the rear printer wall if ran on the print table as is.

Can I simply remove the rear panel and achieve the clearance I need? This is a probable one-time panel job, and I intend to minimize the open back exposure to a minimum amount of time.

Looking from the inside, this panel if removed would provide the needed clearance, it appears.

Any thoughts or experience on this idea?

20231025_071345.jpg

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
I don't know that I'd try it, no clue how the printer is assembled, but often times panels add the necessary rigidity to the overall structure. Is there adequate framing around the inside of the printer? Is this a really flimsy piece? Does it have a lip formed around it? Are the screws going into framing or just another piece of sheet metal? Do you even have that additional 17" behind the printer or will you have to drag it out too?
Assuming it has this excess unprinted area on the opposite side too, so you can't just spin it around?

Novadon

LEF2-200
The rear panel is flat, thin, tin. The amount of cabinet stick-out the back from my printed part would reach a max 2-3 inches. This removable panel appears to be more of a repair / maintenance access point, and not off structural significant.

And no, positioning the printed-on piece differently won't fix the issue, unfortunately.

On another forum just now, I was since instructed that they remove this same model panel frequently to accommodate oversize pieces.

Looks like I'm all set, but thanks for your feedback.

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
On another forum just now, I was since instructed that they remove this same model panel frequently to accommodate oversize pieces.

Looks like I'm all set, but thanks for your feedback.
See, that's what you want to hear!
I don't know anything about this machine, but I was a touch concerned when pauly said it couldn't hurt, I just wanted to throw some caution into the mix.

Novadon

LEF2-200
So...for print test and panel fit verification, I'm going to send this same size mocked-up panel (made of sacrificial cardboard) through the process. You know, just to be sure.

Test Panel.jpg

Last edited:

Novadon

LEF2-200
Military Electronics Rack front panel. Filled with connectors and switches. Simple black identification labeled positions on paint (front) and on Conversion Coated (Aluminum) rear as well. I'll post a pic when I print it next week.

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
Military Electronics Rack front panel. Filled with connectors and switches. Simple black identification labeled positions on paint (front) and on Conversion Coated rear as well. I'll post a pic when I print it next week.
Well that's pretty rad right there. I had a guy bring in his instrument cluster from his kit plane to get lettered. He spent hours marking and drilling this panel, which I had to recreate and space out labels. I told him if he built another, I'd be happy to layout and CNC the piece for him, since it took me 3 times as long to sit there and mic out the whole thing and draw it up before I cut the vinyl.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
no idea if it’ll work but I’ve taken the whole top off to replace ink lines etc and it’s an awkward job putting it back on. Just be prepared for some possibly swearing

Novadon

LEF2-200
Thank you! 25 year Navy Vet here. Cussin' not an issue. In fact, I removed 5 of 6 screws yesterday in prep for printing! NO prob.

Here is an example of the shorter panels that I do in mass to put this job in perspective, typically .125 x 4.5"x 19" long.

The new BIG Panel is .375 x 15.5" x 19" long from Aluminum, weighing 10 lbs! Nearly the maximum (11 lb) weight limit capacity of the LEF2.

Panel.jpeg

Last edited:

Novadon

LEF2-200
Just FYI:

Roland maximum on-table part specs...

Width 21.2 in.
Length 14.4 in.

So I'm a little over length with my 17.25" in depth piece. ;)

Last edited:

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
See, that's what you want to hear!
I don't know anything about this machine, but I was a touch concerned when pauly said it couldn't hurt, I just wanted to throw some caution into the mix.
I wouldnt have said it if it was structural.

I have a background in engineering, from exp covers like that are mainly access panes or for AUX used.
That looks to be offset to have access to the full table and it the gantry.

Look like it all worked out

JBurton

Signtologist
I wouldnt have said it if it was structural.

I have a background in engineering, from exp covers like that are mainly access panes or for AUX used.
That looks to be offset to have access to the full table and it the gantry.

Look like it all worked out
Didn't mean to say you were talking out of your rear there, just hate the idea of something getting wrecked out of nonchalant considerations. Obviously you guys know far more about these than I, but I did just want to put some more considerations out there.
This reminds me of the time my buddy got in a fender bender, couldn't latch his hood, then took off down the interstate, up until his car went full tommy boy on him...
tommy_boy_will_always_be_a_classic_28.gif