• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Legacy Software that is ESSENTIAL for machine operation that is no longer maintained should be free. (Right To Repair)

NightShift Vinyl

Hey guys, After quite a bit of hunting on the internet for a piece of legacy software that is no longer maintained, along with the equipment (VP300i) You would think they would offer the download for the software for free?
Spoiler, they don't. These kinds of anti-consumer practices are what really leave me with a foul taste in my mouth. I went ahead and decided to fork over the 40 dollars for this old ass DVD to have the installer for the software.
With full intention of ripping the ISO for everyone else to use.
This is Roland Versaworks 5.5, from what I know is the last Versa works to support the printers using the DX4 printheads.
All I ask is for you guys to upvote so the SEO can have this be a post on google when others search for the software to download. Thanks!

https://www.mediafire.com/file/wipvff2xmct2pdq/Roland_Versaworks_5.iso/file
Mirror:
https://mega.nz/file/FEZETYTT#Wh4s_6SeLUGioW9TdDEMgMOcG7PryxJcuto6-IMYKtY
Internet Archive (Direct/Torrent)

Last edited:

FrankW

You are not a consumer if driving a large format printer for business. Why should roland send a CD for free or set up a download for free to let you continue using an outdated printer to earn money yourself?

I think some people around here have a strange egoism that only they have the right to earn money, all others have to support them for free.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Lets start with this.
What you're doing is illegal.

Just like everything else, Cars, Bikes, computers etc, The all have a life.
At the end of life, companies will not maintain the product.
It's a waste for companies to continue to support a legacy product when they are using resources producing newer, better products.

Also

$40? you're complaining about $40 so you can continue to make money with your machine?
pay the $40. Make $100 on your next job.

Hate to see what you do when you see how much real RIP software costs.

NightShift Vinyl

You are not a consumer if driving a large format printer for business. Why should roland send a CD for free or set up a download for free to let you continue using an outdated printer to earn money yourself?

I think some people around here have a strange egoism that only they have the right to earn money, all others have to support them for free.
The software is no longer maintained / supported,
The machines that NEED this software to run are EOL. Otherwise deemed for the junkyard once they stop selling CDs,
Versaworks 6 is free to download so why isn't 5.5? Because of their backwards "proprietary agreement"
You are paying multiple thousands of dollars on this machinery, you expect it to run it to the ground. If your laptop dies and the disk is broken, you now have to source a program that isn't even made/sold anymore...

I really find it kind boggling that you guys are so pro corporate and don't even think about Your Right To Repair..
You paid for the machine that included the software at time of purchase.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
The software is no longer maintained / supported,
The machines that NEED this software to run are EOL. Otherwise deemed for the junkyard once they stop selling CDs,
Versaworks 6 is free to download so why isn't 5.5? Because of their backwards "proprietary agreement"
You are paying multiple thousands of dollars on this machinery, you expect it to run it to the ground. If your laptop dies and the disk is broken, you now have to source a program that isn't even made/sold anymore...

I really find it kind boggling that you guys are so pro corporate and don't even think about Your Right To Repair..
You paid for the machine that included the software at time of purchase.
But how is it the companies fault that your laptop broke, you had lost/broke your disk that came with the machine and you have no backup?
They just can't support stuff forever in this todays competetive world. Unless people run OEM ink and buy new machines (that mostly cover the hardware, not the support or delevoplement) they don't have the funds to do that.

I find it really well done from Roland that they sell you the old software for $40. Other companies would simply say it's not available any longer at all. Buy new or figure something else out.

Johnny Best

NightShift, I applaud your cheapness and logic. Spoken like a true sign maker from the past.
Taking an old nag and making it a racehorse again to compete again is a good challenge. Good luck.

weyandsign

You don't NEED versaworks 5 for this printer. You can use flexisign, and some others. I've probably wasted $40 just reading this post.

NightShift Vinyl

But how is it the companies fault that your laptop broke, you had lost/broke your disk that came with the machine and you have no backup?
They just can't support stuff forever in this todays competetive world. Unless people run OEM ink and buy new machines (that mostly cover the hardware, not the support or delevoplement) they don't have the funds to do that.

I find it really well done from Roland that they sell you the old software for $40. Other companies would simply say it's not available any longer at all. Buy new or figure something else out.
Those problems were hypothetical which I've seen multiple posts of cases that do happen.
We obviously never will see eye to eye as you shill out for these anticonsumer practices.

If I were to buy an older sp/vp series printer and the software is no longer made, that machine is now waste for a landfill. We don't need more waste if you didn't know.

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
Those problems were hypothetical which I've seen multiple posts of cases that do happen.
We obviously never will see eye to eye as you shill out for these anticonsumer practices.

If I were to buy an older sp/vp series printer and the software is no longer made, that machine is now waste for a landfill. We don't need more waste if you didn't know.
so does every other piece of electronics around you.

you going to buy an iphone 3g and start using it?

FrankW

Lot of people will not run their machines to the ground. They want safe production, and wont run into trouble because a spare part or a software is not available anymore. They not only pay thousands of dollars for their machine, they earn money too with that machines, so it pays for itself in a reasonable period of time (not until 10 years after EOL).

By the way: the machine comes with a CD: where is your copy? I have a lot of older CDs as images on my dropbox, why dont you? If it isnt the software today, what will happen if tomorrow a spare part is needed which is not available anymore?

You can be very happy with roland, lots of third party software providers will not provide you with any software which is long outdated.

NightShift Vinyl

so does every other piece of electronics around you.

you going to buy an iphone 3g and start using it?
See that's where you are confused, I try not to indulge in super consumerism, but also base many of my purchases off longevity / 3rd party support. Obviously I didn't do enough research on Roland and my vp300i but the fact is, anything that reaches EOL/dropped support should have all barriers opened up. It hurts no body and helps the owner of said devices/machinery.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Software developers are business people. They don't make any money by maintaining old software, particularly software that was designed for past operating systems and ancient computer hardware.

My bigger concern is being able to use archived files, assets, etc that were created using old software and hardware. A bunch of that stuff still has value. And it's a historical record of sorts too. If a certain company goes out of business and/or no longer develops a certain application any files tied to that application risk dying too if the files have no migratory path elsewhere.

I've been pretty angry with with the Corel company in recent years for some rather idiotic choices they've been making. They've been doing a terrible job maintaining current builds of their main application (CorelDRAW). Not only that, they've been shutting off the ability for CorelDRAW to open early version files. The current build can only open/import CDR/CMX files made in version 6 or later. For a long time it open/import CDR files from version 3 and up. By contrast Adobe Illustrator can still open any AI or EPS file regardless of how old it is. Quite a few rival graphics applications can import AI, EPS and PDF files (with varying degrees of success). Few rivals to CorelDRAW offer any CDR import capability.

Apple screwed things up for many of its Final Cut Pro users a decade ago with the very destructive "upgrade" from FCP 7 to FCP X. There was no file open/import options for existing FCP 7 projects into the FCP X workspace. Users were rightfully angry about that.

In most of my sign projects I usually convert any active type objects to curves/outlines when I'm done editing the project. Others accessing the full size file on the network won't have to install any fonts to open the file. Adobe is about to pull the plug on Postscript Type 1 font support. So that's threatening to mess things up pretty good for anyone with AI layouts using older T1 fonts. I'm wondering if Microsoft will also follow suit and no longer allow Postscript Type 1 fonts to be installed in Windows.

balstestrat

Problem Solver

Yet it's not true. You can get aftermarket supplies and parts. You also have the option of multiple 3rd party RIPs.

I also bet you I'm pretty right to repair. I'm sharing my secrets here with people that ask. But I'm also realistic with big business. Laws could change things but not complaining here about legacy hardware.

Last edited:

FrankW

Obviously I didn't do enough research on Roland and my vp300i but the fact is, anything that reaches EOL/dropped support should have all barriers opened up. It hurts no body and helps the owner of said devices/machinery.

A VP300i should be EOL since around 10 years, as far as I remember. You will run into problems with any manufacturer, not only roland.

I told you what will be the problem with holding old software available:

Lots of this RIP-Software will contain third party modules (for example the RIP-engines), or be third party versions of RIP-Software (OEM-Softwares). If a hardware-manufacturer give it away for free or offering it for free downloads, he could run into licence issues.

Some people will nevertheless ask for support, and will be angry with the manufacturer too if he dont help.

The manufacturer want to sell a new machine sometimes, and he do not want to keep people trained for supporting old software. You will not replace signs for free until eternity too. Most of the time the manufacturer will support their products for 8-10 years after stopping selling them.

You have a really old machine and you have a problem. The manufacturer will help you out for a fee of 40 (forty, 4-0) dollars, and you shout out … totally crazy.

I‘m in the machine and software business for nearly 25 years, and I told you, if one of my customers will show such a disrespect to me and my business as you do, I would not even pick up the phone if you would call me.

Jim Hill

My SP-300 works every day and prints perfectly, and I have many spare parts just in case something needs replacing.

Since I cannot buy the parts of Roland, there are a number of companies in China making reproduction parts and yes they just fine, and I have had no problems.

I still use Roland ink and have never used after market ink.

When my Roland became a legacy printer, Roland did me a favor because now I no longer had to listen to the service manager telling me the old story about Roland making their own heads any longer.

Epson makes the DX-4 heads

Jim

CanuckSigns

Look at it this way, when you got the printer you were given the software to run it, part of your business continuity plan should include backing up and having copies of all your critical software, you didn't do this so Roland is charging you a very small fee to do it for you. It costs them money to continue to offer old software for EOL machines, things like server space, staff to answer the phone when you call etc.

I'm far from a Roland fan, they messed me around years ago to the point I won't own another of their machines, however I don't think they are wrong about this.