• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Let me have it both barrels please

Locals Find!

Ok made 6 new layouts with the Help of Steve C & Sam with fonts. Sam also helped with providing me his layout and an element.

Also, thanks need to go out to pat for the inspiration of the ribbon.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• signconcept5-9.jpg
    signconcept5-9.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 82

qmr55

Way too hard to read and not pleasing on the eyes at all! Stick to a simple background or a dimensional sign.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It is considered against the spirit of the flag code to use the image of the flag that way.
Not that anyone follows those guides any more.

United States Code Title 36 Chapter 10, 176:

(i) The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.

wayne k
guam usa

SignManiac

Less is more. Go for subtle subliminal suggestion. Make the message easy to perceive and digest. Contrast and legibility are first and foremost. Psychology plays heavily into effective design.

Locals Find!

Ok, I took the flags out. Better?

Attachments

• signconcept10-15.jpg
    signconcept10-15.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 64
  • signconcept16-21.jpg
    signconcept16-21.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

Justin

The gallery, and thAt border still just don't look right. Whats with the border? You should use what Steve C. Posted, IMO. You could make it white bg, red American, blue stripes/blu bg on the bars, and white letters for kitchen, bath, and gallery red, or blue.

SignManiac

Yep, get rid of the border. It serves no real purpose for your particular sign. Looks like it should be on a paper napkin and makes my eyeball twitch.

CES020

I don't know what colors you are using, but your blues are all a lot more purple on my screen, which is normally fairly good with color (it's not a $129 monitor).

What color blue is that? It needs to be something far different than it is.

Locals Find!

I don't know what colors you are using, but your blues are all a lot more purple on my screen, which is normally fairly good with color (it's not a $129 monitor).

What color blue is that? It needs to be something far different than it is.

Honestly, I am not sure what blue that is. I just pulled it out of my color chart randomly. I know I have two shades on there. One light and one dark.

Do you think the dark blue should be darker or lighter? Do you have a suggested Pantone # I should be using?

CES020

I don't have a specific number as a suggestion. Mainly because I'm not a designer, I only work with other people's artwork for the most part, but a few things, in my unprofessional opinion.....

1) Use Kuler in Illustrator and let it help you pick the colors.

2) My guess is you'd be looking for a more rich, royal blue, the direction you are heading.

3) Dark blue's can really get zapped by UV if they get a lot of exposure. You're rich blue might be washed out in no time, which probably won't make the customer's business look good. That's if you're using printed material. I qualify that by saying I'm not a printer, don't claim to be. I'm only going by what I have seen, which might not be reflective of what others know to be different.

Circleville Signs

When using more decorative fonts like you are going with, a darker background tends to do the opposite of "make them pop". You are still hung up on the unshaped panel with no dimensional aspects at all (which makes no sense to me).

Get rid of the dark background if you want to use those fonts. The background doesn't need to reflect any patriotic symbolism. Try beefing up the "A" in American, and making it a focal point if you really want to enforce the idea of patriotism. Personally, the fact that this guy does Kitchens and Baths seems like it should be what is dominant...

Circleville Signs

I guess I should also ask if the guy has any type of logo currently? If not, you should be selling him on THAT. Once that branding is established, THEN you can work on a sign design.

Locals Find!

When using more decorative fonts like you are going with, a darker background tends to do the opposite of "make them pop". You are still hung up on the unshaped panel with no dimensional aspects at all (which makes no sense to me).

Get rid of the dark background if you want to use those fonts. The background doesn't need to reflect any patriotic symbolism. Try beefing up the "A" in American, and making it a focal point if you really want to enforce the idea of patriotism. Personally, the fact that this guy does Kitchens and Baths seems like it should be what is dominant...

I plan to shape the panel. I wanna get the basic inside layout right first. Giving myself a solid foundation to work from. If my layout is bad then the panel shaped or not won't make a bit of difference. It will still be bad.

Circleville Signs

I plan to shape the panel. I wanna get the basic inside layout right first. Giving myself a solid foundation to work from. If my layout is bad then the panel shaped or not won't make a bit of difference. It will still be bad.

False.

Your layout is 100% dependent upon the shape of your panel. If you have a rectangular layout and then shape the panel, your layout will then lose it's negative space.

You are working backwards and showing your (admitted) ignorance of design principles.

Let's re-cap:

1. Fonts do not make a good layout (you are hung up on certain fonts)

2. Borders do not make a good layout (you DID listen and remove the terrible ones you had)

3. The size and shape of the panel you are planning on using will dictate your layout (you are ignoring this fact)

4. You need to sell this customer branding services before you saddle him with a bad sign that will then, in essence, become a bad brand.

Locals Find!

I guess I should also ask if the guy has any type of logo currently? If not, you should be selling him on THAT. Once that branding is established, THEN you can work on a sign design.

No logo. Working on actually getting him to hire Dan for that part.

For the most part this whole design is probably going to end up just being a learning experience for me. Which I don't mind at all as it will only make me better for the future.