• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Local Competition LOLs

fresh

We are in a small strip mall. There is a print shop at the far end who is impossible to do work with so we just don't get along. A few years ago the owner stormed into our store demanding that we stop selling business cards, and we just were like "whatever dude, go away." Its not like we advertise business cards, but if one of our sign customer's asks, of course we can help them out.

Fast forward a few years, and he's got signs up in his windows advertising "Full color banners" "lawn signs" and "vehicle magnets." Our reaction was GOOD FOR YOU. All of that stuff he has to outsource, and we all know they aren't really big ticket items in the first place. If he wants to fish the bottom of the barrel, so be it. I did ask our landlord to have him remove the signs that said "SIGNS" since it is a sucker move to have someone obviously looking for us get confused and go into his stupid store. (an aside, he'll tell us he sends customers to us ALL THE TIME. Yes, the customers who were looking for us in the first place. We do the same thing, the people who need their id's laminated and documents faxed we send down to him, too.)

Anyway, a little while ago a guy came in requesting a quote for a stupid joke decal for his car. I quoted him our minimum charge, and he went on his way. A few minutes later, my partner noticed print shop guy measuring a car door outside my shop. Hahaha. wouldn't you know it, he's going to spend an hour getting artwork ready, uploading files, ordering vinyl (which will probably be a printed vinyl decal, not cut vinyl) and installing a tiny sticker for less than $50. And yeah, I know, you never know who is walking in the door what they might bring you in the future, but this has a 99.99% chance of going nowhere.

It just cracks me up. I should pass all of my budget customers to him, it will give me more time to focus on the ones who really matter.

rjssigns

No, you just want to send all the "tire kickers" to him which will put him out of business. You are a crafty devil.:D:D:D

CanuckSigns

There used to be a guy down the road from us who was pretty shady. One of his favorite tactics was when someone emailed him to get a quote on changing out a sign face, he would send his installer out to take the face down and bring it back to his shop ASAP. Then he would call the client and ask what he wanted the new sign to say, when they told him they never gave him the job and were just getting quotes, he would play stupid and pretend he misunderstood, but since he had the faces down already, he could do it for $xxx right now and have them back up tomorrow.

That is just one of the many many stories about this guy! Luckily he moved about 30 km away.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
A sign guy around here did 2 years for scamming people. Taking deposits and not doing signs, stiffing other sign shops, doing work without a contract and billing the clients. He was a mess.

Was charged with all kinds of theft, no service contract, hindering secured creditor, fraud.

T_K

There used to be a guy down the road from us who was pretty shady. One of his favorite tactics was when someone emailed him to get a quote on changing out a sign face, he would send his installer out to take the face down and bring it back to his shop ASAP. Then he would call the client and ask what he wanted the new sign to say, when they told him they never gave him the job and were just getting quotes, he would play stupid and pretend he misunderstood, but since he had the faces down already, he could do it for $xxx right now and have them back up tomorrow.

That is just one of the many many stories about this guy! Luckily he moved about 30 km away.

That's a good way to get arrested, I think. Ya know, this little minor thing called theft. That's at least a Class A misdemeanor in Texas, and possibly a felony, depending on how you calculate the value of the sign.

Brandon708

You all should move into an industrial setting where you won't get walk up business. A long time ago I worked for a couple sign companies that were in strip malls. We would get all types walk-ins of annoying requests that are a waste of time. Never again.

fresh

You all should move into an industrial setting where you won't get walk up business. A long time ago I worked for a couple sign companies that were in strip malls. We would get all types walk-ins of annoying requests that are a waste of time. Never again.

Our biggest clients have been those that just walked in. We've considered moving many times, but our rent is very reasonable and we'd have to move out of the area to find something better than what we have now.

We honestly don't get too many tire kickers. There a flea market a few miles down the road with a guy who does vinyl decals, so we usually just tell people to go there for their Calvin peeing stickers.

Marlene

We are in an industrial/business area and two other sign shops moved in. I can see one of them out window they are so close. You would think that would be a bad thing but nothing really has changed as the tire kickers stick to the strip malls.

CanuckSigns

I agree, most of my best clients I've never actually met. Orders come in via email and we ship the product to them.

bannertime

Our biggest clients have been those that just walked in. We've considered moving many times, but our rent is very reasonable and we'd have to move out of the area to find something better than what we have now.

We honestly don't get too many tire kickers. There a flea market a few miles down the road with a guy who does vinyl decals, so we usually just tell people to go there for their Calvin peeing stickers.

"But the guy in the market..." yeah his stuff also peels the paint off your truck and shrinks a half inch within 6 months.

Cyclynn

I've been doing signs in this small town for 18 years now. Several years ago, a fella came into town, walked up and down Main Street and said to folks, "Whatever Colville Sign is making that for you for, I'll do it cheaper." I might have lost a job or two, but he's gone now. He's doing a sticker kiosk in a mall somewhere. Better place for him.