• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Logo Critique

SignManiac

Yep, it's just a place setter. I don't have the time to come up with a better image. I would try to find a simple motor graphic and that would still work. Ten minutes don't give you much time to play around with tweaks. That's what the OP will get paid the big bucks for :)

HulkSmash

Yep, it's just a place setter. I don't have the time to come up with a better image. I would try to find a simple motor graphic and that would still work. Ten minutes don't give you much time to play around with tweaks. That's what the OP will get paid the big bucks for :)

i was referring to the op's logo :wink:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
"ELECTRIC MOTOR & SALES AND SERVICE"
should be taken off the actual "logo".

I recommend designing just the logo, then doing a few layouts
with the added "ELECTRIC MOTOR & SALES AND SERVICE"

The best reason is when on a business card, it would be
impossible to read, and on say, a vehicle graphic, you can
make it more prominent if it were a separate element.

Attachments

• OROURK.jpg
    OROURK.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 111

2B

"ELECTRIC MOTOR & SALES AND SERVICE"
should be taken off the actual "logo".

I recommend designing just the logo, then doing a few layouts
with the added "ELECTRIC MOTOR & SALES AND SERVICE"

The best reason is when on a business card, it would be
impossible to read, and on say, a vehicle graphic, you can
make it more prominent if it was a separate element.

:U Rock: exactly right

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The original post and the twenty-odd replies are, all of them and especially those attempting alternatives, confirming instances of why sign people should generally refrain from attempting to do logos. Sign people do signs and a logo is supposed to be a symbol, an icon, preferably one that's recognizable without having to be able to read.

When a sign maker attempts a logo it invariably ends up looking like a little sign. More often than not, not a very good one. I have an associate and good friend that's a designer of catalogs, product packaging, brochures, etc. Every now and then he lays out a sign for a client just as every now and then something I do encroaches on his bailiwick. For his sign efforts I invariably tell him that it's supposed to be a sign, not a magazine ad. And, conversely, when it's his turn he'll tell me it's supposed to be a brochure [or whatever], not a sign.

To quote Inspector Harry Callahan: "A man's got to know his limitations." [Magnum Force, 1973]. A logo done by an otherwise competent sign maker usually turns out to be somewhat less than an optimum solution.

p3

Yes, Bob, that is right, but a logo doesn't have to be a symbol. A logo could be a mark (logo) or it could be a logo type - such as coca cola. They usually coincide with each other and whenever possible they are to be used together, but for small places such as favorite icons or tricky areas, they use the mark, and if they are limited on height and have width, they would use the logo type or both. For a logo, it's good to have a mark that's associated with type along with a color pallet that someone sticks to. This is why most companies provide branding guidelines when people are using their logos.

artbot

i.e.

this is the logo from my failed partnership $600,000 spent...one single square foot of proprietary substrate produced. (i was warned not take on partners). i digress. the company was to be an architectural panel manufacturer. the "F" is to somewhat resemble the corner of a building.

my motto is a logo should be a "brain tattoo". if a client can't crudely sketch it five minutes after seeing it for the first time, it's too complex.

Attachments

• FAUCADE LOGO OPTION 12_21.jpg
    FAUCADE LOGO OPTION 12_21.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 110
  • faucade business card.jpg
    faucade business card.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 119

Marlene

my motto is a logo should be a "brain tattoo". if a client can't crudely sketch it five minutes after seeing it for the first time, it's too complex.

that is some good advice

the type of company that this is will more than likely have it's sign as it's main use of the logo so having it signish looking isn't a bad thing. is that a motor or an alternator? up in Canada, I've seen a ton of signs for people who rebuild alternators and all have been called (fill in the blank) Electric. I even dated a guy who owned a company like that. people like an image on a sign even if we don't. for business cards and such the same logo can be done without the extra stuff, it's one all the time. that way you can have a print ready logo and a sign ready logo that clearly work together, but may not be exactly the same

Jillbeans

I think the original has too many words, and using "electric" on there twice seems redundant.
I think their name should be smaller, with ELECTRIC bigger, maybe a motor off to the one side.
Love.....Jill

peavey123

The original post and the twenty-odd replies are, all of them and especially those attempting alternatives, confirming instances of why sign people should generally refrain from attempting to do logos. Sign people do signs and a logo is supposed to be a symbol, an icon, preferably one that's recognizable without having to be able to read.

When a sign maker attempts a logo it invariably ends up looking like a little sign. More often than not, not a very good one. I have an associate and good friend that's a designer of catalogs, product packaging, brochures, etc. Every now and then he lays out a sign for a client just as every now and then something I do encroaches on his bailiwick. For his sign efforts I invariably tell him that it's supposed to be a sign, not a magazine ad. And, conversely, when it's his turn he'll tell me it's supposed to be a brochure [or whatever], not a sign.

To quote Inspector Harry Callahan: "A man's got to know his limitations." [Magnum Force, 1973]. A logo done by an otherwise competent sign maker usually turns out to be somewhat less than an optimum solution.

Cool. Thanks for your help on making this little tiny cottage country motor repair shop look like a coroporate empire bob! muhaha Their logo is now just a white lightning bolt....That's it. Powerful eh?! Now all those cottagers will know exactly who will fix their sump pump. /Thread jks I see what you're getting at, but where's the help?

i.e.

this is the logo from my failed partnership $600,000 spent...one single square foot of proprietary substrate produced. (i was warned not take on partners). i digress. the company was to be an architectural panel manufacturer. the "F" is to somewhat resemble the corner of a building.

Yea. I realize that I've been making a sign not a logo. Thank Artbot you got my brain workin' now. :thumb:
I needed this input because in the shop here I'm surrounded by "yes men". "yes! That's awesome" blah blah. haha

Here you go:

http://tinyurl.com/oxoshoj

some of these elements are already present in a few of the suggestions above.......

wayne k
guam usa

If you are calling me a hipster...just know it's not the first time or the last. :p SO you know though, I do not have a creepy mustache or wear suspenders or frequent starbucks coffee shops.

I think the original has too many words, and using "electric" on there twice seems redundant.
I think their name should be smaller, with ELECTRIC bigger, maybe a motor off to the one side.
Love.....Jill

Agreed. Apparently I was making a sign and not a logo. Thanks Jill, I was waiting on your input there..

peavey123

Alright all, Here's my totally different take on the logo.

I talked to my friend and they really want to go with red for their colours. As well as a logo that will work well on horizontal spaces. This one also has, lightning, a motor symbol and a wrench. ...Crazytalk I know.

Is it somewhat better?...

Attachments

• logoconcept4.jpg
    logoconcept4.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 104

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Alright all, Here's my totally different take on the logo.

I talked to my friend and they really want to go with red for their colours. As well as a logo that will work well on horizontal spaces. This one also has, lightning, a motor symbol and a wrench. ...Crazytalk I know.

Is it somewhat better?...

I would reduce the copy but otherwise, pretty sweet...