• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Looking for reviews of low end heat presses

natedawg9640

I'd like to pick up a heat press, but can't currently justify the $1300-$2500 expense. Does anyone have any positive reviews of the $300-$600 "ebay" heat presses? Thanks in advance!

Nate

CanuckSigns

one of our customers bought one, he absolutely hated it, the pressure was uneven and so was the heat. it also overheated on a pretty regular basis and tripped the safety shutoff

natedawg9640

I also will not be using it as a "workhorse" more for small run transfers and making my own tacky and likely offensive apparel now and again. :) I also am not in "this" market.

WildWestDesigns

Well whatever press you are in the market for, I would make sure if you are wanting to do sublimation that it can handle 400°F and be consistent with the heat. My business uses heat presses a lot, so while I can appreciate the economics of the situation, it's hard for me to think about getting the low-end. I would much rather buy a used good one that fit the budget then a new low end one, but that's me.

natedawg9640

I'd love a used good one that's working well. Finding one for sale is proving difficult though. I have experience with George Knights and love them... but they are spendy.

WildWestDesigns

ooopppsss!!! Sorry, I forgot about George Knight

They are the ones that I use and as far as I can tell rock solid. But they can be up there in price, even the used ones. However, all mine deal with day in and day out doing different times, pressure settings, and temps.

I just think that a good heat press is a valuable tool to have around the shop.

royster13

Here is a problem with cheap presses.....

"the machine is rated for 15A but they used 10A parts... the power cord and power inlet are rated 10A, so if the machine draws more than thats the issue"

edgette

I had an ebay press when I first started doing transfers. The mechanism that holds it shut wore out so I had to hold the handle down for my 20 second dwell time. The material I used was firm pressure too so it was a lot of work using it. The pressure adjustment also wore out so I had to shim up the bottom plate (underneath the mat) to get the pressure I needed. Finally it kept blowing fuses and burned up the inside wires. Was it worth it? Yeah I did thousands of pieces with it. Would I buy it again now? No way. I'm currently in the market for another after using a 9x12 geo knight (not as good as the swingman of the same size). I think I'll end up spending the extra money and buying a good quality press this time.

Techman

Do not get a low end heat press. The heat will vary 20 degrees over the surface. It will hurt your feelings eveyr time when one part sticks and another part fails.

If you want a low end press I have one with a timer and digital heat gauge..cheap.

1leonchen

pro world press are not bad gotta buy too much stuff to own it a sunnie heat press is great with a two year warranty. i have one it not too bad i use it for transfers.grows dust most of the time. it has digital heat and timer. if for production buy a max press.or a stalls. word of caution clamshell press are a pain in the *** to work under when hot. buy your self a t shirt square works great. and i ain't promoting them but coastal business supply jet pro soft stretch an 3g paper are the :thumb:. i want the geo knight double press.:banghead: buy a 15 by 17 press or larger or else

Border

pro world press are not bad gotta buy too much stuff to own it a sunnie heat press is great with a two year warranty. i have one it not too bad i use it for transfers.grows dust most of the time. it has digital heat and timer. if for production buy a max press.or a stalls. word of caution clamshell press are a pain in the *** to work under when hot. buy your self a t shirt square works great. and i ain't promoting them but coastal business supply jet pro soft stretch an 3g paper are the :thumb:. i want the geo knight double press.:banghead: buy a 15 by 17 press or larger or else

This hurts my eyeballs to try to read this. Will ignore, even it may have been good info!

binki

craigslist is a good place to start for used equipment like this. We sold our 15x15 for $300 there.

scuba_steve2699

Hotronix all the way - I am amazed by people that get a cheap press and then blame everything but the press when their garments come out crappy and the print comes off of it.

I see all the time that businesses will invest in the best products and equipment and when it is time to get the heat press, the most critical element in the garment process, they go cheap! Go with a reputable press from a dealer that will back it up and you will not be sorry.

Just my 2 cents.