• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Making signs for state and federal agencies - reflective materials?

threeputt

We have had one batch of signs rejected already. Now they furnish us with a Sheeting Identification Guide 2014, showing the many makers of reflective sheeting and the grades.
It's very confusing.

Has anyone experience with making road signs that comply? Secondly, can the lettering be cut vinyl (cast black vinyl) or must it be printed? Or cut vinyl which is relective?

At first they simply said the reflective sheeting must be retro-reflective, so we went with that. Now they're being far more picky. (we printed the first batch of signs in black)

Any help greatly appreciated. Especially from forum members who do this type of thing regularly.

J Hill Designs

black needs to be opaque black, else it reflects white

other colors IIRC are supposed to be reflective (usually screened transparent inks on the white sheeting)

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Depending on what your specific needs are, sometimes you can order the signs cheaper than you can make them, such as parking, directional, construction etc. If it's custom, I typically cover the background in reflective with cut vinyl on top, or sometimes I print them, in which case I double print so the ink is thick and it's hard to see the white reflective behind it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We were always told in order to do state and federal level signs, you first had to be authorized. The sad part is.... the city where we are has a sign shop set up in the building. I helped set it up about 20 years ago. They don't know how to make the majority of the signs and are always getting the signs from us, then saying they make them. I have no idea how they hide that from the tax payers. :rolleyes:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You need to research the current MUTCD regulations. There are different grades and specifications for different types and uses of signs. For example a speed limit sign for an interstate has a different requirement than one for a residential neighborhood....

http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/

There are very very specific regulations and also very specific requirements for the fonts (Clearview which is stupidly expensive) as well.... and finally you should also check into whether your state has any specific supplements or requirements in addition to the FHWA regulations.