• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Marine plywood with vinyl

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Thank's but :
What do you means with ''properly coated''

I figured you wouldn't know what that means, that's why I put my response. They mean the same thing. If the board was properly prepped, painted sealed or whatever, you have a good chance of the vinyl staying on. Otherwise, probably not.

lgroth

Properly cured paint, clear coat, or stain/clear coat for desired appearance if it's not completely covered, something to seal the actual wood. Woods of any type need to ne sealed, wood will de-laminate under vinyl, wood fibers swell when wet, shrink when dry, and everyone knows what happens when moisture gets behind vinyl.... Good-bye adhesion. Once sealed properly they accept vinyl well and last for a while. Even when I do applications on wood that will be indoors and never see the light of day or rain I clear coat it first, regardless of the wood species to guarantee adhesion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
it's a rwa plywood customer won't pay for substrate he was home builder and want's to provide the substrate

Then decline the job. There are certain fundamental rules one has to abide by to do a job. If your customer is going to be a dummie about it..... walk away. You don't hafta lower your standards, just because he won't listen to reason.

J Hill Designs

Then decline the job. There are certain fundamental rules one has to abide by to do a job. If your customer is going to be a dummie about it..... walk away. You don't hafta lower your standards, just because he won't listen to reason.

or slap on vinyl, get paid, write NO GUARANTEES on the invoice and have him sign it

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:thankyou:

This is a business and you are here to make money ie keep your doors open.
Explain the issues to customer, and then they are free to do as they please.

I'm all about getting paid for doing the job and walking away..... or run if necessary, but not when you know down right, it's wrong. You are the professional and you should act like one. Not a money-hungry-grabbing-no good-for-nothing..... common thief.

J Hill Designs

I'm all about getting paid for doing the job and walking away..... or run if necessary, but not when you know down right, it's wrong. You are the professional and you should act like one. Not a money-hungry-grabbing-no good-for-nothing..... common thief.

way to steamroll it...

"I would like to use my own material"
"OK, but theres no guarantee it will last"
"whatever"

TXFB.INS

and this coming from the guy who charges $25 SQFT for a banner.

we did 2pcs. 4' x 8' banners, 1-sided and got almost $25, a square foot.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?92460-banner-pricing&p=981568#post981568

moreover, who said anything about being a thief? besides you. a thief isa person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth, you are clearly provided a tangible product for compensation.
it was clearly stated, that the customer is told of the potential issues and if the customer chooses to ignore said advice then who are you to turn away the customer ie money that pays your bills and provides for your family

Gino

Premium Subscriber
and this coming from the guy who charges $25 SQFT for a banner.

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?92460-banner-pricing&p=981568#post981568

moreover, who said anything about being a thief? besides you. a thief isa person who steals another person's property, especially by stealth, you are clearly provided a tangible product for compensation.
it was clearly stated, that the customer is told of the potential issues and if the customer chooses to ignore said advice then who are you to turn away the customer ie money that pays your bills and provides for your family

Wow, you must've waited a long time to use that one. It was a typo as pointed out. I said almost $25 a square foot and it only came to $23.97 a square foot. :Oops:

You are not comparing anything. In fact, you're just spouting off and flapping your lips like normal. Making as much as you can for any particular job, which as stated back in that old thread, was not our norm, is good business. And they got a total of 4 banners like that. They were very specific.

Moreover.... I did. You're a thief and a money grabbing scoundrel if you take money for doing something knowingly wrong. Did you know if someone threw some trash in your dumpster, that is theft by law ?? Evidently, you don't get out much. Reading threads 3 years old ?? Sheesh !! Imagine, waiting 3 years to throw that in my face. You must be killing 'em at your front counter, huh ?? Yeah, I'll do that 4 x 8 banner 2 sided for $43., but if ya let me do it on paper, I'll do it for $39.50. The print will last a few years. the paper won't, but don't tell anyone........

Techman

it's a rwa plywood customer won't pay for substrate he was home builder and want's to provide the substrate

Then walk away. Do not bother.
We are supposed to be professionals doing top work. Allowing a client to dictate what we use is fruitless.

Would you go to a doctor that allowed you to bring your own skill saw because you are too cheap to let him use a real medical saw??

How about going to a CPA and giving clay tablets because you are too cheap to let him use real paper?

Clients do not tell us how to do our job. We are supposed to know the best materials. In this case a sheet of alumalite would be just fine. Never ply wood. It would cost more for the wood in time and materials after a proper prep than it would to use the right materials.

TXFB.INS

Wow, you must've waited a long time to use that one. It was a typo as pointed out. I said almost $25 a square foot and it only came to $23.97 a square foot. :Oops:

You are not comparing anything. In fact, you're just spouting off and flapping your lips like normal. Making as much as you can for any particular job, which as stated back in that old thread, was not our norm, is good business. And they got a total of 4 banners like that. They were very specific.

Moreover.... I did. You're a thief and a money grabbing scoundrel if you take money for doing something knowingly wrong. Did you know if someone threw some trash in your dumpster, that is theft by law ?? Evidently, you don't get out much. Reading threads 3 years old ?? Sheesh !! Imagine, waiting 3 years to throw that in my face. You must be killing 'em at your front counter, huh ?? Yeah, I'll do that 4 x 8 banner 2 sided for $43., but if ya let me do it on paper, I'll do it for $39.50. The print will last a few years. the paper won't, but don't tell anyone........

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

what a great comic relief you bring, makes the afternoon much more enjoyable.
THANKS!!!

Baz

Marine grade plywood if i am not mistaken should be Crezon. It should have a thin brown paper coating if it is raw.
It also comes pre-painted (although i am not a fan).

If you apply your vinyl to raw wood. It will fail prematurely.

Here we have 25 sheets of 1/2" Crezon with one coat of oil based primer and one coat of oil based paint. (lightly sanded and cleaned between coats)
Ready to accept full prints :thumb:

Attachments

• 20151001_194006.jpg
    20151001_194006.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 78