• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material for horticulture stake sign

gnubler

I have a customer wanting printed inserts for a metal stake sign used in landscaping/nursery horticulture labeling, so needs to be weatherproof. I received a sample insert of what looks like .030 styrene. From what I read styrene isn't recommended for outdoor use, gets yellow and brittle. Is it 'good enough' for an insert like this? Any suggestions on other materials? .040 is probably the thickest that will slide into the tabs. I tried 4mm Coro and it's too thick.

images.jpg

unclebun

Styrene is what the disposable stakes that come with little plants are made of. They will last a year or two outdoors in the ground before getting brittle and crumbling.

That looks like it's not meant to be a museum label but something an actual nursery/gardening shop would use to identify things, and that they'd change it seasonally or annually. Styrene should be fine.

gnubler

Thanks for the info.
S365 states it can be used indoor/outdoor, but they can't cut down to the size I need (7"w x 5"h)
Firesprint states not recommended for outdoor use, but they can cut it down to that size.

gnubler

I'll keep that in mind. I think these are just temporary markers for inventory at a landscaping company, so I'm going to quote printing on styrene.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Printable semi-rigid PVC. Used to make inserts for store displays with it years ago. Got it from Big Systems, they had a heavy and medium. Comes on a roll, printable, and you can run it through a cutter (just score/ fold and tear out), or cut by hand. I don't see the heavy stuff on their site anymore, which is what we used, but they still show the medium, which is 12mil. Maybe contact them for a sample, and see if they still carry the heavy stuff.

gnubler

Thanks for the info. I think that would be too thin and prone to cracking or warping - even their description lists 'indoor use'.
I think the styrene discussed above will work for this application.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Thanks for the info. I think that would be too thin and prone to cracking or warping - even their description lists 'indoor use'.
I think the styrene discussed above will work for this application.
Go to Home Depot and look at the vertical blinds. They have them that are smooth and approx. 3-1/2" wide by about .030" thick.

They have a slight crown, but they are UV stabilized, and they are EXTREMELY weather proof outdoors. I used to make an outdoor product with them using my hot stamp machine.

You can snip them off in a paper cutter.

JB

s-l960.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Stacey K

I like making signs
That's a great idea with the blinds! I second that. I've used them for plant stakes in the past with a sharpie. They are very durable. Sharpie comes off obviously. You could also check at Walmart but I can confirm they are not as sturdy as HD.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If it were me, I'd dye-sub them on aluminum blanks. Fast, cheap, and lasts a long time.

gnubler

I've used old blinds for plant stakes too. They were from the 70s, a lovely burnt orange color, and made of metal!

FYI, the inserts I'm quoting are 7"w x 5"h.

gnubler

Polycarb is a good idea, too. S365 offers .010 polycarb for backlit panels. That seems really thin...they refer to it as 'film'.
Since I'm outsourcing this I'm limited to whatever my suppliers can print on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're limited to what your suppliers stock. Those machines will virtually print on anything. It'd be like going into a restaurant and ordering something that's not on the menu. They could make it, if they stocked it though.
.010 is too thin and polycarb will yellow in 2 or 3 years, too. Do it right and get some sheet aluminum around .032.

gnubler

Do it right and get some sheet aluminum around .032.
You win this one! Customer said no to the styrene after I told them it would eventually start yellowing, they want something nicer and permanent for tree identification in a nursery.
Qty 200 pieces 7x5" printing variable data (all different), black text on white background on .030 or .040 aluminum with radius corners
S365 can't cut down into pieces that small, and I don't want to apply vinyl prints or decals on 200 individual plates.
Any suggestions on a vendor who could do this for me?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You might entertain the idea of having a flatbed print up a sheet at a time, then cutting them apart on your bench, unless you know someone with a sheer. You'll only need a sheet and a half to do the whole thing.

On .032 aluminum printed, you'd make out around $4 bucks each

gnubler

Good idea. Signs365 can cut down to 7x10", so I'd have 100 2-up pieces. I have a local person with a shear who might cut them all in half. If I lay them out foot to foot the top edges would end up having radius corners and the bottom edges square corners, which is fine since they're being inserted into a frame.