• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Material/Installation for Billboard type sign?

dale911

President
Here is the info provided by the client. "We have billboard sized sign that has nothing on it at the present time made from marine plywood attached to our building." He is interested in vinyl and the size is 12'x48'

I just started getting some of these larger jobs since I bought an L25500, but I'm doing mostly panel signs and vehicle graphics so I'm concerned about the right material and how to accomplish this without the vinyl pulling up due to the wood. Traditional stretch for a billboard won't work because it's a flat sign on building. My thought is to attach to aluminum substrate and then mount to their panels, but maybe you guys have a better idea.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I would lay your vinyl on ACM panels and attach those to the wood.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're heading in the right direction.

They make 60" x 150" aluminum composite panels. I'd get 10 of them and that will do the job. Attach the panels with small flat screws and you should be good to go. Nothing in the world, not even paint, will stick well to marine plywood. So, an overlay is your best answer.

skyhigh

10 ACM panels overlaid with vinyl?.....:noway:

Attach banner track around the perimeter of the plywood.
jmo.

neil_se

I would also do it as a banner skin with kedar edges and affix with aluminium sail track. Just get the aluminium powdercoated to either match the building or sign background.