• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Matte Black 2005 Cadillac STS

g&eprinting

Oracal 970RA

088.jpg

093.jpg

Attachments

• 091.jpg
    091.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 154
  • 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 389

Intense01

Looks nice. How was the 970RA to work with? I have been using 3M 1080 for all the matte black wraps I have done. It is easy to work with and lays down really nice. How much does the 970ra run? Looks really good.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Looks good but is that vinyl lifting in the crease under the rear license plate or an 05 Caddy starting to rust away?
The rest looks very clean.

wayne k
guam usa

g&eprinting

Yes it lifted.
That was the second round on that trunk. Took 3 to complete.

1st one was perfect and stretched then customer didn't want the STS symbol there anymore, so we cut around it at 1st, (no likey) then, removed it and re-wrapped.

In the end I did a relief cut on the trunk above the license plate, below the symbol. Just where the light is below that overhang, which had to be cut anyway.

Which leads me to a question,,,,,???

When you have such an overhang of a trunk are you doing a relief cut or in separate pieces, (I hate seams) or stretching the whole trunk into place?

Some cars do not have such a large or long license plate light like this one???

073.jpg

077.jpg

075.jpg

094.jpg

g&eprinting

Looks nice. How was the 970RA to work with? I have been using 3M 1080 for all the matte black wraps I have done. It is easy to work with and lays down really nice. How much does the 970ra run? Looks really good.

Was very easy to use and easy to stretch. Felt much thicker than what I'm used to which was a little weird on door handles.

The glue seems to separate very easy from back so if you lay something down make sure it is correct the first time. If you need to pull a section up you might leave glue residue that is kind of thick behind which is a pain to remove.

Not looking forward to removing this at all.

While working when I cut off pieces sometimes I will put them on the car with no pressure just to hold while I'm working. Big NO NO with this!
Left glue residue anywhere I put a piece to hold on the car.

When stretching a bumper like I did on the rear, you could be 12 inches short on a cut and stretch that over 4 feet to make 5 feet with no gloss.

Heat entire length of 4 feet to make 5 feet in sections pretty nice stretch with no gloss.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I wrapped my setpside pickup with the same film and in some places have the same problem with lifting. It just does not want to stay down in smallish but deep recesses. Larger recesses seem fine and yes - the adhesive separates from the film far too easy in my opinion.

I think the vinyl looks superb - the finish on it is very unique and very cool. It's not super flat or matte like primer, more like an ultra smooth eggshell satin finish. The cab on my truck overall looks great but I'm going to re-do the sides of the bed. One thing I did that I've read I should not have done is I used Primer 94 in the recesses and channels. I read on some other thread that an Oracal rep specifically warned NOT to use primer as it does not play well with their adhesive and actually increases the chance that the adhesive will separate from the vinyl.

Again, my opinion, but I really do feel that the adhesive does not bond to the vinyl as well as it should. Air release REPOSITIONABLE adhesive should NOT sperarate from the vinyl if it so much as touches the paint prior to squeegeeing it down. I ran into the same issue - you just about need an extra set of hands installing this vinyl. If I let it touch the paint and tried to pull it back - not always, but very often a hunk of it's adhesive woudl get pulled off the vinyl and would be left stuck to the paint. :frustrated:

To be honest - I really do like Oracal's films but if I go for another solid color wrap I'm probably going to try 3M's film. I only went with the Oracal as I got the film before 3M really had their 1080 product out.

natedawg9640

I ran into the same issue - you just about need an extra set of hands installing this vinyl. If I let it touch the paint and tried to pull it back - not always, but very often a hunk of it's adhesive woudl get pulled off the vinyl and would be left stuck to the paint. :frustrated:

That statememnt alone will be a reason why i will never use oracal to wrap a car. I'll stick with something more expensive that i trust.

megacab

Other than the license plate area, good job:thumb: on something like that license plate area, i usually go in and wrap it first and then put a seam all the way around it when i wrap the rest of the trunk. especially with 970ra. it just doesn't seem to do as good at staying in tight spots as good as other materials. you can put the seam in the right spot and it'll hide really well. it also makes it bullet proof. it's the same way i do door handle areas with deep recesses also.

CheapVehicleWrap

Curious as to what temp/humidity you guys installed with the adhesive sticking to the paint and separating.

Agreed 970ra doesn't like deep small concave surfaces.

The trouble I've had with the adhesive is DO NOT let the adhesive side touch another adhesive side! If won't happen every time (actually almost never), but when it does a TINY amount will separate. This tiny amount will look like a rock chip under your panel and there's no way to fix it. As you already know; matte black will emphasize an and all imperfections. One reason to not wrap just any vehicle with matte black.

g&eprinting

It was about 70 degrees out and the door was open so not sure of humidity.

I post heat very generously. All areas even flat.

Also saw some lifting on front bumper appearing on a not so concave area..:banghead: I notice not customer but I showed him.

Customer is still very happy and recieved many compliments already.

Matte black is not enough attention :rock-n-roll:,,,, We will be adding some yellow accents, maybe lower front lip, mirrors, and a racing stripe. Might add some light graphics as well. Wheh!

I will post better pics after and explain if I was able to repair lifting or had to replace.

Can you please post pictures of your seam placements... :notworthy::signs101:

091.jpg