• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Maximize Size of Object on Artboard

shepherddesigns

Does anyone know of a script or tool to maximize the size of an object by rotating and scaling to the artboard?

I know I can get close by trial and error, but thought there might be something out there.

Christian @ 2CT Media

So I know with automation software this simple, but looking through my plugins I can't find any that do that automatically. You can probably build a smart action in illy to test rotating and scaling, but the math is pretty straightforward if you just need to figure it out then scale it manually.

shepherddesigns

So I know with automation software this simple, but looking through my plugins I can't find any that do that automatically. You can probably build a smart action in illy to test rotating and scaling, but the math is pretty straightforward if you just need to figure it out then scale it manually.
Yeah, the script would be used to find the correct rotation that produces the smallest width. Beyond that, scaling it is easy enough to manually do.

visual800

i did this on my cs5, cretae a new document and choose the dimensions that you would like for the artboard and see if that works

Christian @ 2CT Media

I guess I'm not understanding your process because your description doesn't make sense.

In most cases you choose a material based on the artwork size not the other way around. But in your case, I will try to make a spreadsheet for you to figure that out. If you used coreldraw we could write a macro that automatically does it.

shepherddesigns

Here's a crude example of what I mean. Art board denoted with pink outline. By rotating the black shape, you can increase the size of the object. The trial and error approach, you can manually rotate the object and watch the width value increase and decrease.

View attachment Object-01.jpg

Christian @ 2CT Media

Oh, you want true shape nesting with resizing. This is a crazy advanced calculation that essentially involves rotating a rectangle and then reassigning a rectangle, measuring, and then comparing.

I don't think anything exists but I will build an assembly line in my automation to see if it can be done.

shepherddesigns

Oh, you want true shape nesting with resizing. This is a crazy advanced calculation that essentially involves rotating a rectangle and then reassigning a rectangle, measuring, and then comparing.

I don't think anything exists but I will build an assembly line in my automation to see if it can be done.
I don't need the resizing portion. Rotation to find smallest width is all that is needed.

shepherddesigns

Looks like the easiest way to do this manually is by manipulating rotation in the transform panel. You can make 0.1, or smaller, rotations and stop when the width goes back up. Not a perfect way to do it, but it's way better than dragging the rotation with your mouse.