• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG-FXII Plus 160 cutting 0.6mm Magnet Rubber and it keeps slipping/moving

Stickerman

Hi,

The magnetic rubber is 0.6mm thick, 360mm across and 650mm in length. I set up the cutter so all 4 pinch motors are across the cutting sheet for maximum hold.

I put the levers up at the back so it has maximum grip on the sheet with the rollers, as per the manual.

When I set it to detect mark, and then plot to cut out the 30 magnets with "half cut" it checks all four corners positions by rapidly feeding the material through the motors and I believe it moves it so fast that it slips by approx 2mm by the end of the cut, so the whole thing is out. Even though when it detects the mark it does it correctly, when it gets to cutting the magnets (2 inch circles) at the end of the cutting, it's out by approx 2mm.

Does anyone know the correct terminology to find how to make it detect mark slower in the manual, or what's a good fix?

APCInk

Merchant Member
Hi Stickerman, I think I can help with this. Two places to change the settings:

1. Under the MARK DETECT Setup menu, set SPEED LIMIT to around 10 cm/s. This should slow it down as it searches for marks
2. Under the Main Function Menu, there is an option called SHEET TYPE, set this to HEAVY. This will reduce the acceleration/deceleration on the motors as the plotter changes directions during cutting

ALSO:

I would not use HALF CUT. Instead, just cut like you're kiss-cutting vinyl and set the depth/pressure so that you just heavily "scoring" the magnet material. Magnet is quite brittle and you'll find that with just a heavy score you can "tear" the magnets out quite easily. Cutting all the way through is not needed.

Finally, one more tip that may help is to let the magnet material feed out onto a table or slightly down-sloped surface, rather than letting it hang out of the plotter. The weight of this stuff is quite high and can cause it to slip.

Best of luck,

-DM

Gary1

Hi Stickerman, I think I can help with this. Two places to change the settings:

1. Under the MARK DETECT Setup menu, set SPEED LIMIT to around 10 cm/s. This should slow it down as it searches for marks
2. Under the Main Function Menu, there is an option called SHEET TYPE, set this to HEAVY. This will reduce the acceleration/deceleration on the motors as the plotter changes directions during cutting

ALSO:

I would not use HALF CUT. Instead, just cut like you're kiss-cutting vinyl and set the depth/pressure so that you just heavily "scoring" the magnet material. Magnet is quite brittle and you'll find that with just a heavy score you can "tear" the magnets out quite easily. Cutting all the way through is not needed.

Finally, one more tip that may help is to let the magnet material feed out onto a table or slightly down-sloped surface, rather than letting it hang out of the plotter. The weight of this stuff is quite high and can cause it to slip.

Best of luck,

-DM
Great answer!