• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV150 pinch roller monkey business

signmeup

Just bought a new CJV150 and have a question. How do I turn off the pinch roller automatic change monkey business? I don't need the printer to faff about with the pinch rollers every time I try to print or cut something. Sometimes it just goes to each one and does nothing at all. Sometimes it lifts or lowers the middle ones. Sometimes it adjusts them to exactly the same state they were already in. This just wastes time and irritates me.

Adrian

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I'd love to know this as well. Our UCVJ does the same thing and it drives me nuts. No less than 10 minutes from boot up to actually being to print on this thing, it's the slowest interface / slowest moving printer I've ever seen.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a fundamental aspect of the machine unfortunately. You can speed things up by making the print and cut mode roller settings the exact same. In that case it will just check to make sure each roller is in the proper position instead of having to also adjust each one so it's a little quicker.

signmeup

Good grief. Well that's disappointing to put it mildly. Not sure what it's supposed to be helpful for. Thanks for the info! I'll set them the same at least.

Still scratching my head over "Local" and "Remote" ...

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Good grief. Well that's disappointing to put it mildly. Not sure what it's supposed to be helpful for. Thanks for the info! I'll set them the same at least.

Still scratching my head over "Local" and "Remote" ...
Those are the two main complaints on this machine for sure. I believe the reason for the weird pinch roller setup has to do with a patent, or so I've heard. Something about having to design it that way to differentiate themselves to avoid patent infringement.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Those are the two main complaints on this machine for sure. I believe the reason for the weird pinch roller setup has to do with a patent, or so I've heard. Something about having to design it that way to differentiate themselves to avoid patent infringement.
Gotta protect those patents, even if it means pissing off every one of your end users! :roflmao:

The local / remote thing is also pretty ridiculous. There is literally no benefit or need for it.

Also the fact that our UV printer stalls at the end of every print job and says "drying"................ :banghead: Not sure which genius decided to add that nice "feature" on a UV printer, it wasn't there when we first bought it, and latest firmware hasn't removed it.

I sometimes wonder if the Mimaki engineers are first year students.

signmeup

I appreciate your thoughts but I don't buy that. Someone at Mimaki thinks it's uber clever and doesn't care if it bothers their customers. A firmware change so it can be turned on or off would be much appreciated.
I really miss my old Roland. It had buttons on the front for common tasks like "Cut sheet" "Base point" "Test cut" "Heater config". Now I have endless menus. Buttons seem to offend the makers of electronic goods these days.

The SS21 ink stinks! It also takes forever to dry! Is there a Mimaki eco-solvent ink? I have to use Mimaki ink to maintain my warranty.(which I thought was illegal)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I appreciate your thoughts but I don't buy that. Someone at Mimaki thinks it's uber clever and doesn't care if it bothers their customers. A firmware change so it can be turned on or off would be much appreciated.
I really miss my old Roland. It had buttons on the front for common tasks like "Cut sheet" "Base point" "Test cut" "Heater config". Now I have endless menus. Buttons seem to offend the makers of electronic goods these days.

The SS21 ink stinks! It also takes forever to dry! Is there a Mimaki eco-solvent ink? I have to use Mimaki ink to maintain my warranty.(which I thought was illegal)
Oh believe me, we're always talking about how the engineers need to actually use the machines in the field that they design. What's clever in their minds doesn't always translate to real world!

Mimaki does have ES3 inks which smell less but they aren't as scratch resistant.

signmeup

Thanks Sol! I laminate everything so I don't care about scratch resistance. I use Ritemedia ProColor ink in my Roland for 15 years with no issues. Doesn't stink and drys way faster than SS21 stuff. And 75 bucks a cartridge vs $187 for the SS21!

Maybe a petition from hundreds of customers would convince Mimaki to drop their idiot pinch roller setup?