• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Head error 007

glennp

I am getting an error on a JV3 250SP head error 007. The service manual states it could be a head or a board is there any way of pinpointing which head it might be or if it is indeed a board problem??????

MikePro

done anything out of the ordinary with your printer lately?
I think that's the code I received when I accidentally flip-flopped the two ribbon cables on one of my heads during an install.

MikePro

power-down your machine, unplug from wall, and press your power button a couple of times to discharge any stored energy.

then unplug the cables from the head that's throwing the error code and reseat them properly. may have just come loose?

artbot

yes you can do a data swap. if you do it wrong you will mess us the printer. if you do it right no biggy. the printer is oblivious to the swap.

remember even though this can isolate if the data or the head is bad, it doesn't isloate if the ribbon is bad. so you still may want to even rotate ribbons. if it's a loose cable it should print weird for a bit. also there could be some ink in a print head port.

quadruple check before you boot when doing this. seriously if you don't completely understand the rendering, ask.

glennp

That's the bad part the message doesn't specify a head. Do you know how to figure out what head is causing the error?

I did check all the cables they were replaced about 6 months ago and they look like they are in great condition no ink on the contact area and all contacts look good no missing or bent areas.

artbot

if you don't know what a data swap is or can't tell immediately by the rendering, i would not recommend that you do one. it port printer data to different heads to isolate if a board or head is malfunctioning.

glennp

Well I definetly get "Head 07 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ " when it troughs the error you think that means its a board???

artbot

no way to tell without a data swap. i guess you are running dual cmyk?

if so, you would move the top yellow data ribbon (on the slider board) to the top cyan port. put the bottom yellow ribbon at the bottom cyan port. now put the top cyan ribbon on the top yellow port, and the bottom cyan ribbon at the bottom yellow port.

when you boot it up if your error 07 shows _ _ _ _ _ * _ _ then you have a bad yellow head.

if it shows _ _ _ _ _ _ _ * then your heads are fine and the issue is staying at the boards (slider or main).

if it shows the head is bad, do one more test. hook up in the normal way. but transfer the entire pair of ribbons from the cyan to the yellow. and the entire pair of yellow ribbons to the cyan port. this will isolate if you have a faulty ribbon.

SignsPlus3020

Error 07

Newbie here. First post.

Our JV3 wasn't cycling for a week and a half while we waiting for a permanant chip to be shipped. When we installed the new chip there was an error 07 ------*- . We cleaned everything and eventually I found this forum and we had our Wensco technician try to ribbon swap. After installing a soaked head there were then TWO head errors ___*__*_. I'm at my wits end, we are a tiny sign shop hanging on here in Michigan. The former manager bought the JV3 used and he up and quit - was the one who knew anything about solvent printers. I'm close to wanting to buy new printheads for the * errors, but it's so expensive! The printer has now been off or not cycling for a good 8 weeks altogether.

Does a bad head mean the end, or can they be recovered? Is it possible that if I spend the money on the new printheads that the printer still won't work? The ATS tech I talked to on the phone, of course, said that 5 years was the lifespan of (our) JV3 printer and that we should buy the new HP latex one for only 15k, haha. Not.

artbot

the lifespan of a jv3 is 1000 years. just like a car. it's a machine. the technical prowess may be five years.??? the heads should have been soaking this whole time. if there is ink in the printer, you are in trouble. the second that thing is inked you are in maintenance mode. the pomps will clot, the caps will gum up, the wiper will get gummed up, the heads will clog. there is a company in michigan that recovers heads. it was mentioned on this board a few weeks ago. search for that. and do a ton of reading on this board to first educate yourself about that printer. it will either make you a lot of money or cost you a lot depending on it's maintenance.

ruckusman

Guys you have to be comfortable with disassembly down to the individual head components but I posted a solution I found here

http://signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?p=857660#post857660

I will add that once you get down to the head only with the manifold removed, if you catch the light just right, on the adhesive plastic electrical connectors that go down into the head, you may see some lifting.

Pressing these back down with a piece of plastic, soft edged, running along all of the contacts fixed my error 07's

I know that this may sound esoteric, but when you see it you will appreciate what I'm explaining.

My theory is that the adhesive used detoriorates in sections and the contacts become unreliable for some of the data paths.

I have a permanent fix that I want to try which I'll document with pics, but am in the middle of moving house, so it will be a few weeks at best.

Last edited:

artbot

that's a great observation. i've noticed a kind of "pillowing" at those connections in the dx4. i for some reason never throw away an error 07 head. possibly some kind of odd wishful thinking? i'm going to take some time in the next weeks to see just how "dead" these heads are.

ruckusman

I think maybe you knew I was coming -

"But I'm not the Messiah!"

"I say you are, lord, and I should know... I've followed a few."

glennp

Still trying to figure this out JUV3 250SP 7.10

This is the most frustrating problem I've ever encountered with a JV3. I'm still getting head error 07 but here's the problem, it doesen't indicate any head it shows (_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _). I've replaced all the ribbon cables (slider to head) hooked both power cords to conditioners and still it quits randomly. It will print ok for a week straight and then out of the blue error 07 again!

We think it's power related but who knows. If anyone has any insight or direction please let me know.

Glenn