• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki jv33 No yellow and no magenta, sudden loss

I have a jv33 160 been running great for four years. Suddenly last week both yellows went out completely mid print. I changed the cap and got everything working again. Then within a few days I lost both yellows again mid print…and now one side of the magenta. I will list what I’ve done so far
New cap
New cap station
New wiper
New dampers
New pump
Bled the lines
Cleaned the head with nozzle wash for several days

I called mimaki and the tech on the phone thought it was an electrical issue and that I should have a tech come out, but I know that can get real expensive especially with me being a couple states from the nearest distributor.
I am not real sure what else to do but I cannot get any change and still missing both yellow and the left magenta on the test strip. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This seems to be a problem as these models age out. I've worked on a few older JV33 and CJV30s that simply needed new ink lines. We tried everything and it just wouldn't stay consistent. As soon as we changed out the lines (and o-rings at every connection), everything worked perfect. It's a surprisingly easy procedure to do actually. If ink is flowing during cleanings and you still can't get consistent ink flow, I'd try ink line and o-rings before going electrical.

This seems to be a problem as these models age out. I've worked on a few older JV33 and CJV30s that simply needed new ink lines. We tried everything and it just wouldn't stay consistent. As soon as we changed out the lines (and o-rings at every connection), everything worked perfect. It's a surprisingly easy procedure to do actually. If ink is flowing during cleanings and you still can't get consistent ink flow, I'd try ink line and o-rings before going electrical.
That sounds like a good idea…never done it before so is there any special notes before I attempt the lines and o rings? Also where to purchase? Digiprint supplies?? Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That sounds like a good idea…never done it before so is there any special notes before I attempt the lines and o rings? Also where to purchase? Digiprint supplies?? Thanks!

Here's a link to the ink line and o-rings on our site.

What you want to do is use a syringe to empty the line first. You will need to open the valve in the back of the cartridge. If you're by yourself, just push the valve and tape it open and pull with the syringe from the damper (make sure the ink cartridges are out of the machine!). Once the ink line is mostly empty, then you can disconnect the line. I like to start from the back by the cartridge valve. You will see some small pieces of ink line that need to be replaced and you can just disconnect those, cut new line to length, pop an o-ring on the line and reattach. Those are all about 5 to 6 inches long and easy to replace.

Now for the longer line that goes all the way to the dampers, what you want to do is take the new line and tape it to the old line. The key is to butt the ends up to each other and tape the connection with scotch or electrical tape. You don't want to overlap the lines. They should be connected in a way that makes it look like a single line. Then you can just pull the old line through from the front of the machine where it connects to the damper and eventually the new line will make it's appearance. Cut it where it can reach the damper and attach to the damper with a new o-ring.

Edit: Also keep in mind that if you're using a 4 color setup, each color is connected so make sure to drain both lines. Otherwise you can make a mess when the pressure changes on one line and the other empties out of the damper.

Here's a link to the ink line and o-rings on our site.

What you want to do is use a syringe to empty the line first. You will need to open the valve in the back of the cartridge. If you're by yourself, just push the valve and tape it open and pull with the syringe from the damper (make sure the ink cartridges are out of the machine!). Once the ink line is mostly empty, then you can disconnect the line. I like to start from the back by the cartridge valve. You will see some small pieces of ink line that need to be replaced and you can just disconnect those, cut new line to length, pop an o-ring on the line and reattach. Those are all about 5 to 6 inches long and easy to replace.

Now for the longer line that goes all the way to the dampers, what you want to do is take the new line and tape it to the old line. The key is to butt the ends up to each other and tape the connection with scotch or electrical tape. You don't want to overlap the lines. They should be connected in a way that makes it look like a single line. Then you can just pull the old line through from the front of the machine where it connects to the damper and eventually the new line will make it's appearance. Cut it where it can reach the damper and attach to the damper with a new o-ring.

Edit: Also keep in mind that if you're using a 4 color setup, each color is connected so make sure to drain both lines. Otherwise you can make a mess when the pressure changes on one line and the other empties out of the damper.
Thank you for the detailed information. I’m gonna get that ordered. For now is it all good to leave the head on a nozzle wash so the inks don’t dry up in the head while I’m waiting?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Thank you for the detailed information. I’m gonna get that ordered. For now is it all good to leave the head on a nozzle wash so the inks don’t dry up in the head while I’m waiting?

It's fine although I prefer to just leave it capped without solution. It only takes one fluke siphon overnight and ink all over the floor to make you regret it. I would just leave it as you normally would when not using it. These machines can sit for a days and weeks on the cap and still be recoverable. You should only be a couple days.

It's fine although I prefer to just leave it capped without solution. It only takes one fluke siphon overnight and ink all over the floor to make you regret it. I would just leave it as you normally would when not using it. These machines can sit for a days and weeks on the cap and still be recoverable. You should only be a couple days.
Cool deal. One more question. How many feet of line and how many o rings to buy? I have a jv33 160 running mmccyykk