• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV 300-160 - Refurbished nozzle check - Black bleeding into yellow is apparently normal?

Stickerman

Hi,

I'm buying a refurbished Mimaki UCJV 300-160 and the tech who was showing me the machine showed me the nozzle check, and apart from the obvious problems he told me that on "these" machines the black always shows up in the yellow nozzle check. Is he correct, or is he just lying?

Thanks.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
No, the black and yellow should be completely separate. Usually when they are mixing, the first thing to do is do is check the pressure system is within spec and do an air purge. The next would be to make sure the cap top is sealing and draining properly. Also just make sure the wiper isn't warped and making good contact with the head surface. Even with missing nozzles, you should be able to get a nozzle check without any cross contamination.

This industry has a bit of a problem with techs throwing each other under the bus so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say maybe he meant, his particular machine does that and he hasn't been able to fix it. In my experience, this model doesn't have that problem regularly when properly maintained.

Stickerman

Okay thank you. How can I check the system pressure - is there a specific name for it when searching the manual? How can I check the cap top is sealing and draining properly, and how can I check if the wiper is making good contact?

Are there subsystems I can go into that give me this information as I haven't done it before. Thanks.

Smoke_Jaguar

System pressure is under Menu> #Test> Air Pressure Check. Usually low or high pressure will immediately throw codes, but good thing to know how to check. Usually set when configuring machine, but useful moving a printer to a new altitude.

Also, since the UCJV300 cap station has a dense mesh on it, I found occasionally cleaning the mesh with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush helped keep them a bit cleaner. Just don't go too scrub happy on the rubber.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
System pressure is under Menu> #Test> Air Pressure Check. Usually low or high pressure will immediately throw codes, but good thing to know how to check. Usually set when configuring machine, but useful moving a printer to a new altitude.

Also, since the UCJV300 cap station has a dense mesh on it, I found occasionally cleaning the mesh with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush helped keep them a bit cleaner. Just don't go too scrub happy on the rubber.
Yeah I usually just check to see if the pressure is staying consistent. If it's all over the place, sometimes it can have issues but not throw an error. Mostly out of habit.