• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UCJV 300-75 Moving from one location to another 150 miles.

Stickerman

Hi, it's currently out of warranty, and it's time dependent. I'm moving it from Manchester to Birmingham so a fairly long-ish drive in a transit van.

Is there are checklist of things for me to do to the printer before unplugging it and driving it for two hours down the motorway?

The plan at the moment is to take the inks out, and any material, put it in the back of a van, strap it down as vigorously as possible to ratchet straps and then pray to the print gods.

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Make sure to put something under the legs to raise the casters up off the floor. Strapping the printer down with the casters touching the floor will most likely end in them popping off during transit. Other than that, make sure the head is locked and you'll probably have to run an air purge when you get it to the location.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Yeah, what he said ^^^
In addition to that I usually tape a styrofoam or foam block in front of the head too, so that if it happens to come unlocked it can't go sailing down the rail. Don't know if it can come loose on that model, but I know some can unlock pretty easy if they're bounced around a little, and ounce of prevention and all...

Stickerman

Okay great, thanks for your help. It doesn't seem to be as difficult as I first anticipated, one more question and i'm finished:

In the manual:

What term do I need to search to find how to lock the printhead in place? I can't find it by either using "print" or "lock" separately, is there another term?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Okay great, thanks for your help. It doesn't seem to be as difficult as I first anticipated, one more question and i'm finished:

In the manual:

What term do I need to search to find how to lock the printhead in place? I can't find it by either using "print" or "lock" separately, is there another term?
The head locks automatically when it's not being used. If you just allow the head to return to the home position like it normally does after a print and then power off, it will be locked. As DL mentioned above, it's a good idea to tape some foam to the platen and butt it up against the head carriage so if it does come unlocked for whatever reason, it doesn't go flying. It most likely won't unlock but it's a good failsafe.

Simon kaye

You need to discharge the inks ru head wash you leave inks in the bulk tank will go everywhere when bouncing in the van im a uk engineer done many installs and decommissioning etc id lock the head you must have the yellow install bracket

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You need to discharge the inks ru head wash you leave inks in the bulk tank will go everywhere when bouncing in the van im a uk engineer done many installs and decommissioning etc id lock the head you must have the yellow install bracket
I've moved a fair amount of printers and haven't had that issue but as you know, most tech's experience isn't going to be the same. Do you completely empty the system when you do it or just empty the sub tanks?