• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Motorcycle wrap questions

Trip59

Started some modifications to my 98 Road King, things got delayed and I got tired of it being on a lift. I'm still working on the modifications, but off the bike, I picked up some extra tins and parts to use for now. There lies my dilemma. Nothing matches, and I don't feel like burning a couple weeks stripping and painting the 'spares' that will ultimately be replaced inside of a year.

So, my thoughts turned to vinyl. I've said before, I have no interest in getting into wraps, and I really don't, but perhaps I don't know where the line is between graphics as a part and partial wrap is, forgive me. I could just go with a color, but I'd like to go with a printed design, something demonstrating capabilities to go beyond cut vinyl and painted work for vehicles. So, three questions, and if you're going to give me grief, please tell me why so I can learn...

1. I'm not getting into printing anytime soon, anyone have preferences over sources? First thought was Signs365, nice big ads in the magazines, but I'm open to suggestions and recommendations of smaller businesses to work with.

2. Lots of really funky shapes, deep cuts and big compound curves, what brand/line should I be after?

3. There are a few chips on the existing surfaces. The design I'm working on would hide it, what would the appropriate process be for those areas? I'm talking like a small rock strike spot, just go over it, or should it be leveled somehow? (not overly concerned with the paint upon removal, the chips are on a fender that will get re-painted)

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
I found the Avery supreme wrap to much better on our bike rather than the Arlon. The Avery was much softer and easier to do the complex curves, including the helmet. We removed all fairings, fenders, disassembled the saddle bags. Lots of work but looked cool. And the customer is happy. The big tip was to have at least 8-10 inches more vinyl than the coverage area required and love the heat gun.

Attachments

• 1157559_566619956732752_766696182_n.jpg
    1157559_566619956732752_766696182_n.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 72

worthy1

I found the Avery supreme wrap to much better

+1 Have found it better to use then 3M 1080 and Hexis Controltac. This can always be personal preference though.

Cant help with printint as i am in Australia.

Bikes can be fiddly due to the complex curves and cuts. Be prepared to add joins due to this but if you plan this well the joins should be well hidden and barely noticeable. Just the nature of the game.

Covering chips will come down to personal preference. It does make them look a lot better but they will be noticeable. I have wrapped over little cheaps and even clear coat peeling areas in the past and although outlines are visible it does look a lot better then before. Of course these areas can be fixed before hand but work will need to go into that.