• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Multiple colors of cut vinyl in a logo - assemble on table, or on site

Signarama Jockey

I've worked for a few different sign makers, and everyone seems to have a different approach to this. I'm curious how you all do it.

Here's the situation. We have a logo with 3 distinct colors. These colors are each to be cut out individually out of vinyl; let's say that printing is not an option. How would you personally approach the situation?

Do you cut them all out and assemble them together in the shop? Do you cut them, and mask them and then put them up one at a time on site? Wet or dry app? Is it different if the colors touch or overlap? What do you use for registration/alignment marks?

What is your process?
istockphoto-1331491686-612x612.jpg

Johnny Best

If that is the graphic you are installing, at shop, dry, and no colors to overlap. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do this.

Signarama Jockey

If that is the graphic you are installing, at shop, dry, and no colors to overlap. Lots of YouTube vids on how to do this.
Oh, I know how to get it done. But there are many ways to skin a cat, and I wanted to know how you all approach these kinds of vinyl jobs. And that pic was just something I grabbed that had three colors. Some of the work I do regularly has drop shadows and outlines and all kinds of fun integrations of color.

I'd like to know how other people do it.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Depends on the size - if it's really big, I'd have separate pieces to assemble on site or during installation. If I can easily do it on the table, I'd "pre" assemble at the studio

I'd create registration no matter what size though, I don't typically like to eye ball it.

unclebun

It really depends on how big the graphic is, who is going to install it, and what the installation site is like.

If there are two colors and none of them overlap or are laid on top of the other, then it's often easy to put them together on the table and carry them to the installation site. Makes for a quicker installation. That makes a difference if it's up on a ladder or something.

When there are three colors it becomes more difficult. Using the sample logo you pictured, it can be done preassembled, but you have to be careful with the application tape and trim away places where the application tape for the second color goes into the places where the third color goes, and then put application tape over the whole graphic to hold it all together.

There are many 3 color designs that you might put together two of the colors and have the third one separate.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I do it wet on-site then no bubbles on the edges where it overlaps. Plus, it's much quicker that way - IMO - than doing it on a table. I suppose one benefit to doing it in the shop is it's one or two less things to mess up but pretty hard to screw up wet applying.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
When there are three colors it becomes more difficult. Using the sample logo you pictured, it can be done preassembled, but you have to be careful with the application tape and trim away places where the application tape for the second color goes into the places where the third color goes, and then put application tape over the whole graphic to hold it all together.
Good point.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
It really depends on how big the graphic is, who is going to install it, and what the installation site is like.
This. We've done both, and it really depends on a lot of factors. I'm a huge fan of dropping smaller 2nd color objects in and masking together, then peeling mask and getting rid of all the bits and pieces. This way when you get to site it's a 1 piece install.

Installing in-house, we'll do it either way.

Signarama Jockey

Usually I will throw in a level line and drop little registration squares strategically around the logo, then cut out the individual colors (one of them will get the level and center point marks), then weed and mask each individual.

When my installer gets on site, they can use the center line and level lines to get centered in the window or whatever, then lay the pieces one at a time. If I do my job right, and they do theirs right, then it all works.

We do dry application, but that's an installer decision.

assembly.jpg

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
If it's on glass, I'll cut a negative out of some excess color, then float each into place, and remove the white.
If it's on a wall, I'll cut a small section of each other color to match to, and start with one with a section to level/measure from, so each piece is reliant on the last for trued-ness.
1707954211207.png

somcalmetim

I've worked for a few different sign makers, and everyone seems to have a different approach to this. I'm curious how you all do it.

Here's the situation. We have a logo with 3 distinct colors. These colors are each to be cut out individually out of vinyl; let's say that printing is not an option. How would you personally approach the situation?

Do you cut them all out and assemble them together in the shop? Do you cut them, and mask them and then put them up one at a time on site? Wet or dry app? Is it different if the colors touch or overlap? What do you use for registration/alignment marks?

What is your process?
Depending on size I would cut that logo all in the grey and then replace the green and teal on the table and mask the whole thing...I dont want to be measuring and assembling complex graphics up a ladder or in the wind if possible...if you are not the installer its easy to think saving a little material is changing the world but a couple extra dollars in vinyl is easily eclipsed by the billable time spent figuring out a spec sheet and measuring/placing multiple colors on site. Haven't installed anything other than PPF wet for years now but we are mostly vehicles so its almost all air egress vinyl now.

petepaz

job can vary based on the colors and how they are laid out but generally i will install on site.
we do a lot of nbc vehicles and i made a template out of removable vinyl to lay the feathers of the peacock out correctly

Attachments

• logo jigs.jpg
    logo jigs.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 1200px-NBC_Peacock_1986.svg.png
    1200px-NBC_Peacock_1986.svg.png
    68.7 KB · Views: 39

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There are so many ways to do this, it ain't even funny. If you have several colors, make a pounce. Three or less. make a template. Based on your sample, if your installer can't put that bottom line on straight...... fire his/her a$$. and if they can't eyeball a simple curve like that, get them glasses.

This place is for solving problems and having great conversation, but 'let's pretend this or that' just seems ludicrous when based upon fundamental components.

JBurton

Signtologist
if they can't eyeball a simple curve like that, get them glasses.
IDK man, 3 colors symmetrically spaced and all, item 1's placement is key, but irrelevant since the others are determined by it. Item 2, placed by hand, could be off a degree or two, which means that item 3 will be off by twice that compared to item 1, or half as much if the error is split between the two. This series of pie shapes has one out by 1 degree. Installer could have tried to check distance between outer points of the circle, but a 1/16" is hard to perceive through premask at times.

1708015244822.png

Gino

Premium Subscriber
IDK man, 3 colors symmetrically spaced and all, item 1's placement is key, but irrelevant since the others are determined by it. Item 2, placed by hand, could be off a degree or two, which means that item 3 will be off by twice that compared to item 1, or half as much if the error is split between the two. This series of pie shapes has one out by 1 degree. Installer could have tried to check distance between outer points of the circle, but a 1/16" is hard to perceive through premask at times.

View attachment 169696
You copied the wrong part. For three colors, I said to make a template. Capisce ??

Signarama Jockey

If you have several colors, make a pounce.

A pounce?
Oh, wow. That's a new one for me. I'd never heard of that technique before. That's pretty cool! Pouncing....

"Pouncing is an art technique used for transferring an image from one surface to another. It is similar to tracing, and is useful for creating copies of a sketch outline to produce finished works. A pounce wheel, also known as a tracing wheel...Pouncing has been a common technique for centuries, used to create copies of portraits and other works that would be finished as oil paintings, engravings, and so on."
https://www.designsandsignsonline.com/pounce-pattern/

Last edited:

Johnny Best

A pounce?
Oh, wow. That's a new one for me. I'd never heard of that technique before. That's pretty cool! Pouncing....

"Pouncing is an art technique used for transferring an image from one surface to another. It is similar to tracing, and is useful for creating copies of a sketch outline to produce finished works. A pounce wheel, also known as a tracing wheel...Pouncing has been a common technique for centuries, used to create copies of portraits and other works that would be finished as oil paintings, engravings, and so on."
https://www.designsandsignsonline.com/pounce-pattern/
You never heard of a pounce pattern? How old are you not to know that. Ya learn something every day.
I personally do not like pounce patterns with vinyl because of the powder left behind and cleaning up afterwards.
I use clear transfer and eyeball it in place, even with boat lettering with outlines.Its not rocket science.

Billings Sign Pro

Sign Company
If we cut out an image that requires multiple vinyl we usually put in registration marks to help out align it all. If we are unable to do the registration mark we measure it out. It isn't hard to get the measurements from composer and take a ruler to the vinyl and the surface it is going on. It just takes longer that way.