• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Must I use rewinders with Gerber equipment

artofacks1

Hello,

Now I am bumbed about the rewinders. They are about 1000 a piece. Every were I look, they are using them. Is it a must and if i dont use them. How much mire difficult is the work flow?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I know of rewinders but have never encountered anyone who used one. Speaking for myself, I have my Envision lined up with the output side of my Edge and feed the print directly into the cutter so I can print and cut at the same time. As previously mentioned I work in 5 to 6 foot run lengths even when I have orders that involve printing more than a full roll at a time. If I need to laminate then I cut off each run from the Edge, laminate it and bring it back to the Envision. If no lamination, then it's straight print and cut and cut off each print run as I go. That way weeding, masking and finishing can be going on while the printing and cutting continues at the same time.

artofacks1

right, 5 to 6 at a time. I forgot about that! I would love to understand more on how u set up the printer to cutter set up. that is awesome!

jfiscus

Rap Master
I've never seen one, I've used the Edge 1, 2 and FX and never seen a need for one. Sometimes we use a whole 50yd roll at a time.
A "catch basket" or area for the vinyl to fall into is helpful, but if it's a big job we usually just manually wind it back up onto the core between colors.
I think the winders are just to eliminate dust getting onto the material before you laminate it, but a good laminator (person) will take care of your dust problems.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
right, 5 to 6 at a time. I forgot about that! I would love to understand more on how u set up the printer to cutter set up. that is awesome!

Six foot table ... Edge at right end and Envision at left end. When sufficient print output has accumulated, thread into Envision and start cutting. Always insure that there is sufficient print output to cut without using it up and pulling at the Edge.

chillGMS

Hello,

Now I am bumbed about the rewinders. They are about 1000 a piece. Every were I look, they are using them. Is it a must and if i dont use them. How much mire difficult is the work flow?

It really comes down to the amount of production you plan to run. I think they are worth the expense, but it's not something that everyone may need.

When your production grows to a very high level, you may want to check this out.

[video=youtube;2F_c2yt7jQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_c2yt7jQg[/video]

jfiscus

Rap Master
We have some funky tables here, but we can let a whole roll run through w/o a winder. (photo attached of one of our setups)

GMS, where does the roll get slit into those different pieces that get rolled up? I didn't see that in the video.

Attachments

• Pic-04102014-001.jpg
    Pic-04102014-001.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 107

chillGMS

We have some funky tables here, but we can let a whole roll run through w/o a winder. (photo attached of one of our setups)

GMS, where does the roll get slit into those different pieces that get rolled up? I didn't see that in the video.

The slitting is being done on the Envision Plotter, once the labels are mounted to small rolls at start up, the stripper / re-winder takes over and does it automatic.

Jase

I have a similar Primera set up with a separate matrix remover and slitter and winder I'm selling, bought it but changed business direction, very good but expensive new. Are we allowed to post links to ebay here? It's in the UK so should not be a conflict?

Tim Aucoin

It really comes down to the amount of production you plan to run. I think they are worth the expense, but it's not something that everyone may need.

When your production grows to a very high level, you may want to check this out.

[video=youtube;2F_c2yt7jQg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F_c2yt7jQg[/video]

OMG!!! I gotta take a serious look at getting one of these babies!!! I do a few runs a year that would be perfect for this and would save me dozens of hours weeding and cutting!!! :Big Laugh

Tim Aucoin

LOVE that set-up. I assume you custom made those tables? Very nice looking indeed! :thumb: