• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh 1204

signfx

I have a problem with my Mutoh 1204 printer and was wondering if anyone could help.
The original problem was a print quality issue (not a sharp and clean print which also had faded black on and off throughout the print)
I changed the dampers as the tech support recommended me to. Now the problem seems to be that the ink does not go to the head!

I pulled ink and filed the dampers and I can see the lines are full of ink but it does not print anything.

I have goes through a lot of cleaning cycles and used the inkfill options a few times.

Last edited:

randya

If it is not printing at all, it could be a fuse.
If you got ink or cleaning down the connector to the head while changing dampers or moved the cable enough, you could have blown the fuse and possibly the head.

signfx

Thank you very much randy.
I will check it out the first chance and I will let you know the results.

randya

I would carefully check all your connections to the head/carriage board.

Make sure to turn the machine off, unplug it, and hit the power button a couple of times to discharge the capacitors, before you start.

signfx

I have already done that!
Let me give you a little more info. maybe it will help.
When I replaced the dampers I didn't pull ink manually, I thought that the refill process will do that. So I put everything back together and did a few cleaning and refill and tried to print and in fact I did get a few lines printed (I guess it was what ink there was left in the head?)
Not being successful. I detached the dampers one by one and pulled the ink...
is it possible that the capping station is not creating a good seal to pull ink to the head?!
(just a guess)

Edserv

This may sound crazy, but most of the time our vj1204 does weird things is directly traced back to the art file. Reading the posts from this site, I'm starting to wonder if we just got lucky with a "perfect" value jet?

But in the last 3 years, we've not (knock on wood) had ANY problems other than the normal cleaning and maintenance.

When we start to have problems, we open a proven file and do a "test" to make sure it's not the art.

Sorry I'm probably not much help,
Good luck,
Edserv

signfx

My Printer was exactly the same as you described until last month! and then all hell broke loose...
Thanks for sharing your experience/thoughts : )

randya

Yes, it could be cap.

Check the waste tank, if it is dry after doing a number of cleanings, then it probably is the capping station.

There should be some waste going into the waste tray.

signfx

I replaced the cap today and did a few cleaning but even the pad on the surface of the cap remained white! (didn't get any ink in the waste tank)
Is it the pumps turn to be changed? : ))
By the way Thanks for all your attention and help.

John Butto

Just the cap?

I replaced the cap today and did a few cleaning but even the pad on the surface of the cap remained white! (didn't get any ink in the waste tank)
Is it the pumps turn to be changed? : ))
By the way Thanks for all your attention and help.
You replaced just the cap and not the whole maintenance station, is that hard to do, have just seen the whole station for sale but not just the cap.

Edserv

Glad to hear "copythat" agrees!
MJ 1204- I'd by 20 more if my business grew to that capacity!

heyskull

I would check the pump is pulling ink through to the waste tank.
I have found if the workshop is warm the ink can dry in the drain lines, causing blockages.
I pour some cleanining fluid on to the capping station pad and allow to soak all the way through the pump and outlet lines.
Sometimes you get it blocked so bad sometimes that the dried ink comes out like pencil lead!.
I have permenatley removed the covering panel on our 1604 so you can constantly see the lines are unblocked.

SC

signfx

Ok, I Solved the problem!
Apparently while changing the dampers the head had come out the alignment and would not sit on the head cap properly and it was causing some air leakage during the cleaning....

Now I have it up and running again but I have a new problem! : ))
Every time I want to print something that has shades of gray it does not come out right (it usually comes out darker with a little green in it)

Any way, thank you guys again for trying to help.

P.S. the Mutoh tech support are really dumb, they almost had me go for the unnecessary part change of exceeding $2000

henryp

Ok, I Solved the problem!
Apparently while changing the dampers the head had come out the alignment and would not sit on the head cap properly and it was causing some air leakage during the cleaning....

Now I have it up and running again but I have a new problem! : ))
Every time I want to print something that has shades of gray it does not come out right (it usually comes out darker with a little green in it)

Any way, thank you guys again for trying to help.

P.S. the Mutoh tech support are really dumb, they almost had me go for the unnecessary part change of exceeding $2000

"Mutoh tech support are really dumb" is a rude and incorrect assumption. Was this done over the phone? You probably did not give them a good description of what you have done on it, just like on a computer, there is a term "GIGO".

signfx

That is exactly my point!
how can you make suggestions if you are not sure about the details of the problem (assuming I gave them not enough details)
In fact Sir. they are the Rude ones for giving my bunch of crap for trying to work on my own machine. @125 an hours labor and $250 just for service call you bet I will try to do it myself....
Thanks for your reply.

randya

Like henryp says our techs work the best they can with the information they are given.
What they give you (I am assuming for free) is the most likely cause of the problem you describe over the phone.

You've described a user error in not seating the damper properly.
Not something a trained tech would do, so a very unusual situation.

BTW, our techs dont work on commission, they ARE just trying to help.
They are not there working and testing YOUR printer, they have to base their recommendations on what you are offering.

And sometimes (unfortunately in your case) free advice is worth what you pay for it.

heyskull

Getting back to the point....

I reckon you have contamination.
I would do a few more strong cleans.
Then print CMYK bands till they all print CMYK.

SC