• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mutoh Falcon Outdoor - Banding Lines?

daenterpri

I've noticed that I've been getting some weird banding on my prints lately. It's not the worst I've seen, but on some jobs it's quite noticeable. I've attached some pictures.

Seems worse on dark colors such as blue and black. I don't notice it that much with lighter colors.

I've tried playing around with my heat settings, I've tried different color profiles, I've tried cleaning, I haven't been able to knock it out.

My nozzle check seems to look good, but notice how cyan looks a little funny? Like, the nozzles are all there, it's just a little sloppier than the rest of the colors. It's been that way pretty much since I replaced my heads. I'm not sure if it's a problem or not.

Let me know what you think and what it could be. Thanks!

Attachments

• printer-lines.jpg
    printer-lines.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 84
  • nozzlecheck.jpg
    nozzlecheck.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 102

daenterpri

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I've done head soaks in the past and it seems like everyone has a different opinion on what to use for the soak? Blue shop towels? Microfiber? What can I get in town that will work?

daenterpri

Well I did a head soak this morning and the nozzle check looks identical to how it was. It still prints with a slight banding. I'm now messing with the step adjust function, but that doesn't seem to help. Only makes things worse :)

Any other ideas? Do you think it's that Cyan nozzle?

randya

There are basically two reason nozzles get misdirected.

1. Ink drying on the nozzle opening, in which case it may take some extended soaking to soften up enough for the wiper to remove.
2. Damaged nozzle openings.

You can see in the photo that some black nozzles are not lined up in the diagonal pattern.
They should all line up.
You are also missing some black nozzles.

Step may help, but only as a mask.

Soak for a few hours, if you dont see any improvment, soak for a few more.
If no change at that point, you probably are not going to recover or realign nozzles.

daenterpri

Gotcha. Thanks :)

That black diagonal issue was a glitch. My current nozzle checks and even my previous nozzle checks didn't have that.

I believe that my Cyan color has looked like that since I replaced my heads last month. Think maybe it came damaged somehow? It's hard for me to know how long this has been going on because, as I mentioned, most things you cannot see it. But when you print solid colors, you can see it.

CRD

Deantepri,

May I ask you a few questions for my convenience?
Did you replaced the color head yourself last time?
Did you put the correct head rank in then?
Did you made a test print after that and did the testprint looked the same as the one you have now?

On my machine RH 38 I performed a 30 minute head soak too. Also with no result for better output. So might go for the overnight head soak by filling the capping station with eco-solvent cleaner fluid.
I have ordered a new color head but it is in back order. DigiPrint says that Epson has discontinued the DX2 head and aksed if I need to order more then one........
Found out the pump is leaking too so this must be replaced too :-(

Cheers,

Paco

Last edited:

daenterpri

Hey CRD,

I did replace the head myself, and I did enter the correct head rank.

I'm sure I printed a nozzle check after the head installation, but I don't remember if the Cyan looked like that then or if it was a little later. I think at that point I was just so excited to have each head and color showing up :)

So you are having a similar issue then?

I left my head to soak overnight and I'm about to go check on it shortly.

Thanks!

Andy

CRD

Yes, but I am missing 6 nozzles in the magenta that cause the white strikes/banding :-(
Did a head soak for 6 hours again. Resulat was that the yellow was contanimated by cyan in the damper. Had to purge/clean several times and print full yellow to get it back on order.
I have to wait for the new head and go from there.

Probably the piezo elements in the head are dead for the missing nozzles and also the NWC might be damaged on the black head too.
BTW NWC stands for NON WET COAT.
This is the last brownish coating on the printhead surface.
Its job is to release the inkdrop from the nozzle in a perfect drop shape.
If the NWC at the round edge of the nozzle is damaged (by paperjams etc) the inkdrop exits the nozzle but the last part will stick to the nozzle exit and can then deform in shape and therefor become less straight and exits the nozzle at an angle. Also this cause the drop to splatter more.

Still eager to know if yours will run in the end as supposed/expected to do.

Cheers, Paco

daenterpri

Well, I went to the shop to complete the head soak. No change :( The Cyan still looks a little chaotic. I think I might just order another head and clean this one up for a backup since its pretty new and works fairly well.

Stickertom

Where did you order your dx2 head Ive had a time with my outdoor i had a mainboard blow ordered another installed and my heads had some heavy banding and can't seem to find any at a reasonable price I bought one for $380 but hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure if it has head ranks listed or not I'm new to this end of it any input would be GREATLY appreciated