• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mutoh printer acting funny printing lines?

Davidomilligan

Just got this printer when I was at the shop printed some stuff no issue. Just hooked it up at my house now and printed out a color chart and this is what I'm getting mutoh valuejet 1204as using flexisign. This is my first printer so explain things to me like I am 5 thanks in advance
4322c7e7b872e8c660879ed9e9442bbe.jpg
df5bee0e0eb1e0b2f51eb4d1ada183fc.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The only time I have seen a pattern like that is when the print head was not the correct version. Normally the issue doesn't show up on prints that are shorter than 17" wide but if you go over that size, it will print this pattern. If that is the case, you will need a new head or you can try to get one of the decoders that will allow it to work in that machine. The issue is that if the head is a newer head, there is no decoder for it. If it is older, it does have a working decoder but it is hard to tell which is which. If you just bought the machine used, I would say that the seller tried to put a cheaper "locked" print head in the machine and when it didn't work, they sold it to you.

Davidomilligan

The only time I have seen a pattern like that is when the print head was not the correct version. Normally the issue doesn't show up on prints that are shorter than 17" wide but if you go over that size, it will print this pattern. If that is the case, you will need a new head or you can try to get one of the decoders that will allow it to work in that machine. The issue is that if the head is a newer head, there is no decoder for it. If it is older, it does have a working decoder but it is hard to tell which is which. If you just bought the machine used, I would say that the seller tried to put a cheaper "locked" print head in the machine and when it didn't work, they sold it to you.
It worked on his computer with flexi print is it possible I'm using the wrong driver then? Not sure what you mean by decoder

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It worked on his computer with flexi print is it possible I'm using the wrong driver then? Not sure what you mean by decoder

How big was the sample print he printed for you? If it was smaller than 17" wide, it would have looked perfect. If it was bigger and looked fine, you might have some loose cables in the machine that could be causing the issue or even a dirty encoder strip. By decoder I mean a small electrical board that gets installed on the print head to override the locks that have been put in place to prevent people from using that head in a Mutoh.

Davidomilligan

How big was the sample print he printed for you? If it was smaller than 17" wide, it would have looked perfect. If it was bigger and looked fine, you might have some loose cables in the machine that could be causing the issue or even a dirty encoder strip. By decoder I mean a small electrical board that gets installed on the print head to override the locks that have been put in place to prevent people from using that head in a Mutoh.
We printed a full sheet like I just did. Wasn't an issue. Any specific cables to check? Is there a way to clean the encoder strip I know you aren't supposed to touch them so Havnt messed with that

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can clean the encoder strip with a lint free cloth or swab and no stronger than 80% rubbing alcohol. Be gentile with it as you are just trying to get any dust or grease off of the surface. My policy is to only clean the encoder when I start seeing issues and leave it alone the rest of the time. Cleaning as a daily or weekly maintenance can damage it. Cleaning it when it needs to be is totally fine.

I would air dust the cables and the terminals for the head cables on both ends. Also the other cables that plug into the CR/Slider board. While you are in there, check for any damage, corrosion and/or ink splatter on the cables leads and replace if necessary.

Davidomilligan

You can clean the encoder strip with a lint free cloth or swab and no stronger than 80% rubbing alcohol. Be gentile with it as you are just trying to get any dust or grease off of the surface. My policy is to only clean the encoder when I start seeing issues and leave it alone the rest of the time. Cleaning as a daily or weekly maintenance can damage it. Cleaning it when it needs to be is totally fine.

I would air dust the cables and the terminals for the head cables on both ends. Also the other cables that plug into the CR/Slider board. While you are in there, check for any damage, corrosion and/or ink splatter on the cables leads and replace if necessary.
Thanks I'll take some pictures and post later as well I know this head does make a line but it was after the 36 in or so mark this is the first time its made a line this close. Guess it's better to have issues now and learn to diagnose them

Davidomilligan

Did 3 cleanings and no luck. When I do a nozzle check just get a white strip where the magenta is if you can see in the pic
c866dd7856b8e438b4e04f03d101a1b4.jpg

Davidomilligan

Red strip on top is my computer with the new flexi software it creates two lines I marked and labeled.

The bottom is with flexi 8 on a old desktop but only creates the line on the far left. Confused why the different software versions are doing this
02d4e14b5d15232c5a2eb5de94ca82ce.jpg