• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Mutoh valuejet ink low beeping

netsol

our VJ1617h is getting cranky
4 new (last week) ink cartridges, just be 90% full
after "shake all cartridges" prompt, error shows C ink low with constant beep, tried putting in old cartridge with some ink in it, changing smart card
still prints fine, what am i looking at ink level flag?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
That's one model I don't know a lot about as you know. Does it have sub tanks? If it does, I would assume it's a version of a sub tank error which usually means the sub tank bag is deformed so it's not tripping the sensor, the sensor is bad, or there is a clog preventing the sub tank from filling.

Also, take a look in the ink slots with a flashlight. The ink level sensor on most Mutoh's is a tiny black lever on the far, bottom, right side of the cartridge holder. If that lever is broken, it will always flag as near empty and then a timer will eventually flag the cartridge as empty.

damonCA21

It definitely sounds like the ink sensor lever in the cartridge dock is not working properly. These can either snap or fail over time, and will tell the printer the ink is low even when you put a brand new cartridge in.
If it uses the same carts as Rolands ( I think it does, but not too familiar with the Mutoh models ) there are replacement docks on Ebay. We had to change one a few years ago when it was doing this more and more often, and it fixed the problem.

You can see the lever on the listing image, and how the cartridge presses against this when it is inserted

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It definitely sounds like the ink sensor lever in the cartridge dock is not working properly. These can either snap or fail over time, and will tell the printer the ink is low even when you put a brand new cartridge in.
If it uses the same carts as Rolands ( I think it does, but not too familiar with the Mutoh models ) there are replacement docks on Ebay. We had to change one a few years ago when it was doing this more and more often, and it fixed the problem.

You can see the lever on the listing image, and how the cartridge presses against this when it is inserted
It uses the same ink level sensor as the Rolands but the ink chip itself is different.

damonCA21

It uses the same ink level sensor as the Rolands but the ink chip itself is different.
Ah ok, might be worth getting for the OP anyway as they can swap the sensor over if they can't just get the sensor on its own from Mutoh. I know Roland don't sell them ( we tried to get one everywhere ) and it only came as part of the complete dock.