• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My First Try

Ditchmiester

It's been a long time since I have designed a logo. I took 4 years of graphic design in High school (10+ years ago) and 2 years in college. I've always hated our company logo I think its boring so this morning I couldn't sleep and decided to spend a little time trying my hand at coming up with something simple but different. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also a little bit about what we do. We manufacture ADA signs for the elevator industry and that is our own little niche. Thanks again.

Attachments

• NEW LOGO.pdf
    404.5 KB · Views: 189

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Go back to sleep!!!

Maybe just add your own touch to the current?

attachment.php

Attachments

• a111.jpg
    a111.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 175

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees with above posts

Although you deal with conservative client the font choice was good & kerning was good like joining the X with the others & adding the braille was also good along with the oval, these are good ideas.

On the other hand your current bold font is very good & conservative, you add the oval & braille, reduce font the weight of company (does not need to be strong)

Blue letters with red outline or reverse = purple to the eye,.. in some cases you can do this like for decorative signs but not conservative signs

Remember signs are for Advertising you are creating a image for a brand in how you / they conduct business

Ditchmiester

Thanks Everyone. Craig thanks for the great explanation. I appreciate it and will take what everyone has said and go back to the drawing board.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Actually, not bad for a first try, but not good either after so many years dedicated to it..

Try using some of the tips here and going back to the drawing board and starting in a different direction.

Without using little tricks or odd color combinations, do it in black &white first, to make sure your elements can stand up on their own. It needs to look strong in the field you're in. Whispy type, frilly colors and little gimmicks don't say trust the way a solid image will.

Ditchmiester

4 years of graphic design ...IN HIGH SCHOOL???? really????

I don't know what you are trying to insinuate but if its an insult; This is why most people don't post logos and work on here because people like you are always quick to criticize without giving quality feed back. So far everyone else has either said just stick with the old logo which is fine I new it wasn't perfect or they have given quality feedback on how to improve. There is no point in you commenting just to comment and be rude.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
First the crit: What I see is a layout, that braille spread out is
not visually pleasing, and no one cares about knowing the letter
for letter translation. I like circles, but this is just filling space.
------------
Every time I see someone saying they have "X" amount of
education or experience, I question how good that education
was. I question mine a lot.

Was it "design" education, or software education?

Like Gino mentions, your effort does not match 6 years of
education. Question it.

Some of the mockery you are getting on this thread is from
someone who's education should be questioned as well, and
worthy of mockery too. So don't take offense, many of us doing
this for years think we were great... we can all learn from others.
There are a few comments that are spot on. I agree, the old
one is better. I can't see anything on yours worth retaining.
I think you should start over.

If you want to be a designer, immerse yourself in good design...
you don't know good design? you can learn that too.

Look at the process of design, a good video is this one.
[video=vimeo;113751583]https://vimeo.com/113751583[/video]

I use that process all the time, I looked at your effort and I see no
process, no concept. I took the video's idea of process and thought about
the concept of elevator and braille. This is what I came up with...
The box is an elevator, the braille on the panel is what your specialization
is. I saw no need to jack up the type, I assume you deal with contractors,
sign shops and maybe architects so I thought it best to appeal to them.

Attachments

• truxes oops.jpg
    truxes oops.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 166

OldPaint

i DONT KNOW ...WHAT YOU.................. "other" people read into MY QUESTION........... but that was all it was........NOTHING MORE........ when did they start teaching GRAPHIC DESIGN ....... in high school???? and 4 YEARS OF IT???? you need to understand i graduated HIGH SCHOOL.........1963....... and i took 4 years of DRAFTING........that was as close to graphic design as it got.........HELLL i even took TYPING)))))) so if you took it wrong......
ITS ON YOUNZE...............made no reference to his skills or the design.........
APOLOGY ACCEPTED....)))))))))))))))))))))

Rick

Got back from dinner with my kid and thought I
would show you my other ideas...

When I saw this thread, I scrawled out a lot of ideas
quickly... I was actually not going to participate. It hasn't
always been a good experience for me. But sometimes
I can't help myself.

I used to work for 2 companies who specialized in
ADA signs. Too many companies add braille to their
logos that do not compliment the other elements.

After doodling these in Rapid Viz fashion, thinking about
elevators, braille, T and C, I googled "TC logo" and
ELEVATOR LOGO"... saw the lower right logo in there.
I think it works well in the square because you get that
elevator style arrow on there though it may be hard to
catch the T and C in there.

You'll find most things have been done, it's best to look at
stuff first then be inspired. I now tend to doodle first, then
look it up if my head is up to it.

When designing logos, spew out ideas, good or bad... do more
than one. I think I did 16 very rough ideas in about 20 minutes.
On occasion I can have 25 - 50 ideas, though most will never be
presented cuz they are really bad... There is often many solutions
to a problem, sometimes you have to walk away from it for a
while, then doodle/illustrate again. I'd work on a few ideas if
I were you...

Attachments

• TRUXES MORE.jpg
    TRUXES MORE.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 138

Ditchmiester

i DONT KNOW ...WHAT YOU.................. "other" people read into MY QUESTION........... but that was all it was........NOTHING MORE........ when did they start teaching GRAPHIC DESIGN ....... in high school???? and 4 YEARS OF IT???? you need to understand i graduated HIGH SCHOOL.........1963....... and i took 4 years of DRAFTING........that was as close to graphic design as it got.........HELLL i even took TYPING)))))) so if you took it wrong......
ITS ON YOUNZE...............made no reference to his skills or the design.........
APOLOGY ACCEPTED....)))))))))))))))))))))

OldPaint, Sorry to jump to assumptions. Yes I was able to take 4 years of Graphic Design in high school. It how ever was a lot of different styles of production and designing in 1. I should have said I don't really have a lot of experience designing logos.

Ditchmiester

Rick,

Thank you for the time you took to thoughtfully layout how I can improve and what I can do to help my designing process. I also think that the logo you did with the T and C above it is absolutely brilliant would you mind if I took that idea and played with it?

Ditchmiester

Got back from dinner with my kid and thought I
would show you my other ideas...

When I saw this thread, I scrawled out a lot of ideas
quickly... I was actually not going to participate. It hasn't
always been a good experience for me. But sometimes
I can't help myself....

Rick, I hope you don't mind if I took your idea and tweaked it a little bit. I also watched the video you posted and learned a lot just from watching that. Just keep it simple to start and don't over think it.

Edit: When I attached the image the color didn't show up quite how I wanted it too. Its supposed to be Pantone 801c For the blue.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Truxes Logo 2.jpg
    Truxes Logo 2.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:

Rick

Rick,

Thank you for the time you took to thoughtfully layout how I can improve and what I can do to help my designing process. I also think that the logo you did with the T and C above it is absolutely brilliant would you mind if I took that idea and played with it?

Go ahead!