• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

My third car illustration

phototec

Thanks for the link Phototec. I noticed quite a while back that objects were influenced by their environments. Chrome is the most obvious. It looks like whatever is closest to it. (if you look closely at the headlights on the MGA above you'll notice the little puffy clouds and blue sky I added)

The info on how light affects black, white or mid-tone objects was well presented. It makes things you intuitively, new easier to grasp when someone with his obvious mastery of the subject explains it in simple terms.

Yep, if your into photography seriously, lighting is by far just as important as knowing how to use your camera or lens, and although I had been to taking images ever since I was a combat photographer in Vietnam, and have read many books and been to all kinds of training, it wasn't until I attended Dean Collins' seminars that I really got it burned into my brain, he does use a very simple way to get his messages across. Dean is considered the MASTER of lighting for commercial photography, here is another great video, watch and lean...

Mind you, this video was made before the digital camera revolution, however the basics of lighting apply to all photography.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbGJoX8KsA&feature=related

:smile:

OldPaint

Great work Adrian!

Your first example shows the white car, however the illustration was flat looking and didn't show the the form of the white surface, on the other hand, your second revised version using shadows, is much better, using shadows to show the form and texture of the white surface. Much more realistic!

Being a student of Dean Collins, the great photographic lighting master, and attending many of his seminars, he explained, it is always hard to illustrate black or white products, and make them look 3 dimensional. The key for white products is the use of shadows to bring out the from and texture of a white product (car), and for a black product (car), the trick is to use specular highlights to define shape and texture.

Dean Collins came up with a concept in photography, he called "3D Contrast" too explain how this works and how to capture different color objects and make them look 3 dimensional, using Specular Highlights, the Diffused Value, and Shadows. Below is a short video of Dean at one of his seminars explaining his 3D contrast principle. I have been using his 3D Contrast principal in my commercial photography ever since leaning it in the late 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYM6cQYgEgk&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

:thumb:

well attending PENN STATE, the art prof really made us work. DRAWING POPCORN, & an EGG IN PENCIL!!!!!! there are no hard lines.......only shades.

signmeup

Nicely done. Did you ever figure out what method you were going to go with the t shirt?
No I haven't. I figured I'd maybe do some lurking on a T shirt forum or go look at what the local shops are selling. It's something I've seen all my life but never paid any attention too.
Is there anything that can be printed and heat pressed on that looks good?

WildWestDesigns

Is there anything that can be printed and heat pressed on that looks good?

That's what sublimation is. You print it on transfer paper and print it on a light colored polyester shirt. Two good things about it:

1. It actually prints onto the fabric itself, so there is no "hand" to it and it survives washing as long as the fabric itself does

2. No polymer film around the edges like you have with the light colored heat transfers or the little bit of white edges on the dark garment transfers.

I know I keep on going back to sublimation, I just like it alot, if it wasn't just for the light colored and poly requirement it would really do well. Although, I must say I've grown to like poly t shirts moreso then cotton or blended shirts. Especially when working outside.

signmeup

OK. I'll see what I can find around here to look at. Polyester makes me cringe but it sounds like it may have improved since the seventies.

phototec

Attachments

• Chip Foose black_firebird.jpg
    Chip Foose black_firebird.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 93

signmeup

Hey! Signage has offered to print me one of these on a shirt via DTG. Will be interesting to see what it looks like. Thanks Brian!

OldPaint

Last edited:

signmeup

Look what signage made for me! I haven't received it yet but he sent me a photo of the shirt. He has a DTG machine and offered to print me one (for cheap) so I could see what it would look like. I think it looks great. Thanks Brian. I'll be camped out by the mailbox until it gets here!
I'm going to wear it to the British car show if it gets here on time. (we're having a mail strike up here)

Attachments

• MGAshirtSm.jpg
    MGAshirtSm.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 78