• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advice if this is even possible

gabagoo

A client called me and tells me they have 18 vehicles that were fully wrapped. They are a subsidized govt non profit agency.
They have changed the logo and want it replaced in 4 areas on the vehicle. The older logos were vinyl cut and applied over the main wrap.

The areas are pretty small, I would guess about 6" x 10"...My concern is that if I use heat ( probably a steamer) to remove the old logo, how do I deal with the wrap material being damaged underneath. I can only guess you have to work slowly and carefully, but pulling vinyl off of vinyl in a heated state can certainly cause problems of the original layer underneath?

What recommendations do you guys suggest?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Make the patch portion larger than the original logo being replaced and just go over top.

gabagoo

Make the patch portion larger than the original logo being replaced and just go over top.

nope, you will see the layers through the vinyl patch.. I suppose that is an option...but also on eof the logos is on a printed orange section, I would never be able to duplicate the colour 100%

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sorry....... without pictures for this kinda situation, it's kinda hard to give anyone decent advice.

2B

yup,

if there are already layering the vinyl then follow the same protocol.
since they are a subsidized govt nonprofit agency, they will be driving for bottom dollar.

bigben

Not a newbie
From my experience, removing vinyl on vinyl without damaging the ''bottom'' layer is more than likely impossible. I've tried it maybe 3-4 times without success.

If you ever found a solution, let me know.

scott pagan

see if it will remove without heat. how long has it been on? be cautious when starting your "pick point", i've punctured the laminate before, damaging and pulling it from the graphic that can only be fixed by careful cleancut to remove damage/ wrinkles and covering up w overlay graphics.

lgroth

We do sponsor updates on a bus for an educational program in our area, they send us the files they want, we print-cut them and when the bus is free for a day we peel off the old and put on the new. I don't know what material the full wrap is, we didn't install that, but if you take your time, use a little heat, not so much where you're going to release the bottom layer, the old ones can be removed without damaging the base wrap. We've been doing updates to this once or twice a year since 2012 and haven't done any major damage yet.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 72

Andy D

I think I would try to make their logo design change so that
I could remove a square area of the wrap and the applied cut vinyl,
and patch in their logo..with the right design it wouldn't look patched.

I've removed cut vinyl off of wrap vinyl with a little bit of heat before and had no issues with a little practice. I did learn the hard way that you must go about it very carefully though when starting to lift the edge of the cut vinyl. I used a plastic scraper and took my time and lifted ever so carefully. Once you get enough lifted to grab the material between your fingers, the rest lifts pretty easy. If you don't take your time and exercise a bit of caution, you can definitely nick or ding up the media/laminate below but it's not as hard as you might think. A small 10" x 6" area shouldn't be much trouble at all.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I think I would try to make their logo design change so that
I could remove a square area of the wrap and the applied cut vinyl,
and patch in their logo..with the right design it wouldn't look patched.

Yeah but how are you going to cut out that square without cutting the paint? It can be done...but 99% of the time, you're gonna cut the paint.

jfiscus

Rap Master
What material is the old logo overlay cut out of?
If it is an air release/wrap material then removing will not be bad; if it is a regular cut vinyl then removal will not go well if it is even possible at all.

Andy D

Yeah but how are you going to cut out that square without cutting the paint? It can be done...but 99% of the time, you're gonna cut the paint.

Good point, probably with a knife that has depth control, so that it's more of a deep score than
a cut.

TammieH

Have you done a test yet? You may be fretting over nothing ...the old logos may come off without too much hassle

decalman

If the top vinyl has been on there a long time, it aint coming off. No way, even if its fresh, it's still tough. This is a hard call with no picture.

gabagoo

I'm going to see a vehicle next week and figure something out. Maybe the patch is the way to go as it would be cost effective to get me in and out fast.