• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need advise on what to charge on wall.

arteest7

Need advise please. Been asked to paint a 8 ft. white circle on exterior brick wall,with some black lettering,(not much) and a black outline around circle. any advise on what to charge? Wall is in great shape, will probably pressure wash it before i start. also, any ideas on how to make it appear in distress,(Old)? Thank You for any helpful advise!

player

Tell me:

A complete breakdown of everything you need to do from start to finish. Include loading, setup etc.
A time estimate for each operation.
A list of all materials needed including scaffolds etc.
The cost of all materials needed.

arteest7

advise please

Tell me:

A complete breakdown of everything you need to do from start to finish. Include loading, setup etc.
A time estimate for each operation.
A list of all materials needed including scaffolds etc.
The cost of all materials needed.
I was just going to use a piece of chain with a pencil to get the 8 ft circle i also have an overhead projector but i will have to use that at night to get the copy in place and a fitch maybe roll on the white block out? estimating maybe 100.00 to 150.00 for materials, have roll around scaffolding that will work,thinking maybe 3 days to complete? am i in the ball park?

player

You need to do detailed breakdowns of everything you have to do.

What is your hourly rate?

What is your overhead? Shop, vehicle, equipment, utilities, insurance, phone, advertising....etc...

Techman

3 days?
2 hours set up scaffold
1 hour to lay out.
1 to travel
1 to rough in the 8 ft circle.
few hours to lay out and letter.
lunch break, coka cola break.
1 to clean up.
2 to remove scaffold

2 days at most.

Jillbeans

If you pressure wash give it plenty of time to dry.
This should be a 2-day job, even for a seasoned sign painter like me.
Use Ronan Background enamel. (you could prime with block-out white but if the wall is in good shape, you probably don't need to, especially if going for the aged look)
Your method for drawing the circle seems OK.
I'd cut it in with a 2" cutter then fill with a wider brush. If you use a roller, you might not get a distressed look. You want to see the brush strokes, not roller marks.
Next day project your lettering using charcoal to sketch it on. (some use Sharpies, but charcoal wipes off once the job is dry) Dry-brush the lettering and outline with a fitch to get the aged look. I'd use Ronan bulletin enamel.
http://www.ronanpaints.com/graphic.htm
I wouldn't touch this job for under $1200
Love....Jill

OldPaint

JUST FOR THE COPY/ART WORK/LETTERING
i figure its a 8' X 8' = 64 square feet. @ $10 a square foot
$640.00. one 8 hour day of painting........once prep and background are done.
now you got to pressure wash, layout, repaint wall to white......
at least another full days work......@ 10 sq ft......$640.00.
$1280.00 is where i would be........+any rental of scafold or man lift.
if you didnt have to paint and pressure wash the wall......$640 would be a good price, and iam at 3 days....
i to pressure wash/prep, 2nd day DRY TIME, 3rd day paint.
BUY A BAG OF FOAM THROW AWAY BRUSHES, 6" FOAM ROLLERS/HANDLE 1-12-18" roller.....to fill the major 64 sq ft of white...
a good GLOSS EXTERIOR LATEX......for the white...and if needed give it 2 days of dry time....after background is painted...if you can........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Going out on a limb here, but to power wash the wall will be one day with 2 days to thoroughly dry, in your area. Might be a total of 2 hours, according to drive time.

Prep the wall, draw in the circle with a primer and then a top coat will be another 2 hours, but you should be able to start cutting your letters in almost right away. Start at 6:30 and be ready to letter by 9am. Not knowing the copy, but you said it was simple.... maybe 2 or 3 hours tops. Have this in another thread where I did 18" letters across the top of a building in a bucket truck and it took about 1.5 hours to do each wall..... one on either side of the hangar. If you're on scaffolding, it might take a little longer for moving things around.

Probably around $1,100 or so.

attachment.php

Next time, put this in the correct category, so we can discuss it normally.

Attachments

• 101-7.jpg
    101-7.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 102