• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help deciding. Roland Vs540 or Roland vg540

ElevateWraps

Whats up everybody I need other perspectives in this, I have a decision to make either purchase a roland vs540 or Roland vg540. I've been trying to find and do my own homework on both machines. So far I'm leaning on the VS just because I see a lot less headaches compared to the VG (where i see ALOT of problems). I have a RS640 and Sc545ex both work great other then minor issues but definitely been work horses. Let me know if you guys have any own perspective on these printers. Thanks

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
No more mainboards available and they die quite often
For real? What actually causes it?
I have repaired about hundred mainboards till now and never had a chance NOT TO succeed. All the problems are always the same - HV cascade or, at most, Epson drivers what happens pretty rearly.
1 hour with some regular soldering and measuring devices in hands are MB works like new.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: spb

ElevateWraps

That's what I thought but through me off when VP got brought up. Would you happen to know when one has better quality print? The VS or VG. I know the inks are different VS is eco sol max were as VG is TR2 .

ElevateWraps

Also which one would be easiest to maintain? I've been seeing a lot of reviews saying the VG is more hard but how true is that. Thank you

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
That's what I thought but through me off when VP got brought up. Would you happen to know when one has better quality print? The VS or VG. I know the inks are different VS is eco sol max were as VG is TR2 .
It depends. If I'd be you, I'd pay a visit to some local dealer and spend a while in the showroom, ofc having your preferable media and desired print files with you.
After all, u r the one who decides in the end....

V. V.

Inkjet printing guru
Also which one would be easiest to maintain? I've been seeing a lot of reviews saying the VG is more hard but how true is that. Thank you
If ya looking for such an advise, my advise would be not to get your hand into the machine. Don't ruin it. Find a local FSE.

cornholio

For real? What actually causes it?
I have repaired about hundred mainboards till now and never had a chance NOT TO succeed. All the problems are always the same - HV cascade or, at most, Epson drivers what happens pretty rearly.
1 hour with some regular soldering and measuring devices in hands are MB works like new.
Well, you answer it yourself. Hundred mainboards... the mainboard failure rate of the VP and VPi is by far the highest. (Mostly the network circuit fails)

Patentagosse

You asked for opinion, here's mine.

Got my VS540 in 2011 after 7 years on SP300 :)rock-n-roll:) and even if it had some nice features, I've wasted so much time trying to solve issues that were due to bad engineering. I've had many techs coming, inspecting the printer high & low, telling me I was "within the specs" but curiously last year I sold it and buy a VG2540, the same peoples now admit the VS was shit, had "uncurable" problems due to cartridges position, reason why 2 years later when they released VS540i the inks were now horizontal (...). Color consistenacy was the main issue here. For example I was printing a trailer graphic in 4 tiles: 1 of 'em had a different hue in the gray so ending up with a no-match tile you had to reprint but to realize the new one is worst than 1st one. you go again for a third one and still hitting another shade in it. Crossing my fingers, holding my breath everytime I had larger print to do was no longer an option.

The new VG2is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better at everything. Gradient are perfectly smooth, color consistency no longer an issue, even on big prints of solid colors, no more banding*

* banding were intermitents but the one I experienced were of a different kind, what techs called "starving"... let's say I printed a big graphic of 10ft long... everything was perfect and suddently at the 9th feet, just as you almost got it, a lighter pass happened... like lower density of ink, a noticable 12 where the ink flow was different. So frustrating.

Honestly, I had it with these random problems from 2011 to 2020 and I should have get rid of it WAAAAAYYYY sooner. Oh damn...
So many nights working 'til 2-3am trying to save my butt and my soul. Yardsssssssss of precious cast vinyls thrown away, gallons of ink (that precious fluid...) wasted.

I was so upset when I heard the very same peoples telling me they couldn't tell the truth at the moment they were called for service... they had hands tied vs. their employers & HQ.

Yes I decided to stay in Roland's due to all the knowledge I acquired in VersaWork to "bypass" issues and because I knew the OEM inks are premiums (remember I use Roland printer since 2004 (!).

So that being said, good luck