• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need help desperately finding a slitter

D Phat

Hi all,

I am new to this site. I own a sign company in Wisconsin. I will be working on a large label job (printing on my wide format printer). I found out today the client needs them cut on the back like a bumper sticker. I need to find a solution fast!

Any help is appreciated - I did see a post on an akukut, but wondered if there were anything else out there.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!!

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK.
I think you need a special paper that has the backing precut. I suppose you could peel the backing back, cut it and put it back on the vinyl before cutting the stickers apart. Or you could have it by a company that does stickers.

D Phat

no can do

i am doing tens of thousands of these. printed as needed. Will be printing on 164 ft roll. Trimming to size then I need the slit on the rear. It would take too long to set up on the graphtec.

Thanks for the inquiries

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you're looking for is called semi-slitting. Try a Google search using that as your keywords.

Here's a link to a machine manufacturer. I would expect that you could find outsourcing services locally in the commercial printing community.

Ken

For something so simple you are looking at an expensive solution to do this in-house. I would look to find someone to out-source this to. However, dont let me put you off in this quest.
Good luck.
Ken

Techman

think you need a special paper that has the backing precut.

I have a back side paper slitter. Hand held. adjustable,, and really inexpensive,, I slit the back in pieces in just seconds.. all the time..

Want one,, $6 bux,,,

D Phat

interesting...

I have a back side paper slitter. Hand held. adjustable,, and really inexpensive,, I slit the back in pieces in just seconds.. all the time..

Want one,, $6 bux,,,

Could you send me a pic of it or post one? Who is the mfg? THere are some other machines out there (thanks Fred for the technical name of what I am looking for). They seem to range in the thousands of dollars.

Thanks a bunch - this site is unreal - very cool.

d fleming

Small piece of wood, razor blade, small screw. Screw the blade on the side of the wood leaving a small bit of tip exposed, slit paper. Once you get it set right it will go quickly. Fasson makes a crack n' peel psa vinyl as well.

Attachments

• slitter.jpg
    slitter.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 160

dieguy

Steel Rule die

I work for a Large steel rule die maker in Minnesota. We have 3 clamshells which we use for small to medium sized runs on. If you have thousands of parts to run it may be cost effective. You have a die built and die cut them from the liner side with a backslit knife. This way you get your parts cut to size/shape and get your backslit all at the same time. This is something that is very common for us to do. If interested PM me. I am the production supervisor there but do not get too involved in pricing but I could probably pull a few strings and get you a good deal. The only problem I see is that you would have to have a way of orienting your parts to the die. the most common way to do this is to egde guide the parts but then you would have to make sure to control your guide edges very closely.

Dieguy

chopper

I found this one (http://www.aheadequipment.com/shop/product298.html). I wonder if anyone has used this particular slitter.

Hey chopper...how much did it cost...where did you get it...how does it work specifically (my labels will be approx. 6" h x 19"w - it would be a vertical slit).

Thanks!
if you go to the link you can see that it is machined block that has a screw in it that will adjust the height of the blade, use the screw to set the correct depth and go to town., I think it was 60 bucks. you could use a straight edge for a guide if needed , got it from the web site listed above in other post //chopper

Techman

Some times we must use some common sense. Sure its nice to have a professional machine to do all our work. Sure its nice to say,"I spent 3 grand for a slitter".

However, is it really a realistic decision to spend a load of money for something we would use once a month or even once a week?
Especially when using a machine would take more time to set up and waste more material than doing the job with a simple hand tool. I use a hand tool that cost just $6 bux and a yard ruler that will slit the back of 1,000 3x4 decals in just a few minutes.

I just had a job that was only 100 decals and slit them in less than 45 seconds.. Is any other tool worth the cost if it takes longer?
Our job is becoming technology driven each day. But there is a point when technology is not worth the cost. In this case I feel it is a waste of money to get machine driven equipment when a good hand tool thats been in use for decades does a perfectly good job.

There are more ways than one to skin a cat. But the skinner has to be the right choice.

chopper

Want one,, $6 bux,,,
hell I am willing o spend the six bucks just to know what it is //chopper

R08

Ok techman...
You're good.

Now,out with it.... we're chompin' at the bit here.

We all want one.