• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Need Help with Test Prints- Roland XC-540

alexbaumgarten

Been using this Roland XC-540 for about 2 months now. No training, bosses just told me to figure it out and print with it. I understand the basics (cleaning/Maintenance) but I'm having problems with test prints. I've done multiple powerful cleanings...still nothing...help please!

Images Here: Roland XC-540 Problems - Google Drive

Thanks,

Alex

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
With the amount of deflections I am seeing on the Cyan and Black heads, they are most likely fried and need to be replaced. You can try soaking them and flushing them with cleaning solution but in my experience those heads look like they are done.

The fact that there is so much deflection also points to bad cap tops, dirty wipers, failing dampers and/or defective pumps. These are all things you will want to check before replacing the head. You can put 2 brand new heads in there and then they go bad in a week due to the same reasons the original heads went bad. This is why I always recommend changing the dampers with the new heads to start out fresh. And it's also why, if you have the budget, I would just change the cap top as well. Pumps tend to not go bad as often and usually just get clogged which is an easy fix. Just flush cleaning solution through it until it unclogs.

One work around that may help you save some money is to put one of the deflecting heads into the Yellow or Light Cyan channels. It's harder to see the deflections in lighter colors but this is not the optimal setup obviously.

Deflections are caused by partially clogged nozzles but also physically damaged nozzles. If you have had a lot of head strikes, the nozzles are most likely deformed and non-repairable. As stated above, it's totally worth trying to soak and flush but don't get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Mysticalvibes

After a very similar problem with our sp540 we had to replace the heads. This was due to head strikes caused by not using the media clamps, and media which was warped from sitting on the machine. Was a costly mistake, took over a grand to put right :-(

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hey,

VanderJ and Mysticalvibes are right in mentioning the problem is most likely the heads (especially considering the age of the printer). You can try some of VanderJ's suggestions, but ultimately if the problem continues, it's recommended to call an authorized Roland dealer to have the machine serviced.

If you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: https://www.rolanddga.com/support/product-support-form

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

alexbaumgarten

Thanks Everyone! It was the heads, had our outlet store come and take a look....maintenance hadn't happened for years apparently...it was in rough shape.

Everything's perfect only $5000 later!

PMac

Been using this Roland XC-540 for about 2 months now. No training, bosses just told me to figure it out and print with it. I understand the basics (cleaning/Maintenance) but I'm having problems with test prints. I've done multiple powerful cleanings...still nothing...help please!

Images Here: Roland XC-540 Problems - Google Drive

Thanks,

Alex
I'm with VanderJ. It looks like two heads are needing replaced, BUT, Try a good flush first. Move your print carriage to the cleaning position. Turn your printer off completely, and disconnect the power cord in the back (to be safe). Put a glass jar below the head (or something else that won't dissolve from the solvent) disconnect your dampers, using a flat head screw driver going straight up. They'll just slide off. This will expose the two feed tubes on top. They'll be cone shaped on top. I take a big 50ml syringe that I purchase from Tractor Supply (or another CoOp) put the nozzle on top of the head tube and push cleaning fluid through. Get a flashlight so you can see this... Below, It should look like a perfect waterfall of cleaning solution, flowing into the jar. If it's spraying out all different directions, or many lines of the waterfall are missing. Your printhead is officially jacked.
MAKE SURE you don't get any fluid on the little circuit board of the head. IT WILL blow a fuse. If you drip fluid on it make sure it's completely dried off before you test print.
If your flush goes well and you heads are still printing like that. Try new data cables?? Good luck. It can be a mess sometimes.