• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need manual tiling method in Illustrator for huge window perfs (ROLAND)

tedbragg

I have four huge window wall sections (16 panes each). These panes are all different sizes, and the dividing metal framing has different thicknesses -- which makes the RIP's built-in tiling feature moot.

What I did for the first section: Copied and pasted the image 16 times into the AI layout, then clip-masked each of them out. Then, I rasterized those clipped images and saved them out to individual files, so-as not to choke our Roland XR-640. This is a very long process.

The "Puzzle Maker" script looked like it could help but it's riddled with errors -- won't work with our version of AI. Anyone have suggestions or could share their workflow? BAsically I need a quicker way to slice up a single, giant sized image, break those into individual panels, and save out separately. CorelDRAW's PowerClipping could do this but we're stuck with AI.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Awesome, glad to hear! I've never used that method before but figured in theory it should work. Tutorial video would be sweet!

Bengt Backhaus

Could you not create multiple artboards (one for each window pane) and then arrange them with proper sizing and spacing for mullions, then export all to PDF?
This is what i always do, even if its just two parts.
The control freak in me just doesn't trust automation.