• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Refresher on 'Head Soaking'

96XP

In a nutshell, we moved and printers had to sit for a bit, thus having issues with some clogs.

Need help in doing a head-soak - DX4 solvent type.
I know and have done the procedure of clamping and such, just haven't in a very long time and can't recall how to get the heads out of the way and parked overnight without going through a cleaning cycle.

Machines are SP 300v (two head) & SC-540 (6 head).
Can someone offer guidance or link to an existing post?

96XP

Found this - Quote from: player
Post #7
https://signs101.com/threads/versacamm-sp300v-dropout-question.125063/#post-1240170

What do for a head soak is I pinch off the black hoses from the caps to the pump. I fill the caps with cleaner, re-dock the heads, then turn the power off.
I use the head height (sp540v) (but I don't think the SP300 has that) to access the caps. Then I fill the caps with cleaner, dock the heads, and shut the power off. You will need to use some trick like wiper change or test print, power off when heads are printing to access the caps with the heads out of the way. You could use the manual cleaning to do that as well, but it will do a thorough cleaning that won't work because the pump tubes are pinched off.

Q: With power off and in park position, can I raise the head height bar in order to clear the carriage enough from the capping station so that it can slide over? (SC-540)

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I'm not sure about the SC-540, but the SP-300V you can lower the capping station while the power it off with the tube thing that come with the machine, you just go underneath and insert it in the hold and turn to lower and then the opposite direction once back in place to raise it. Hope that helps some.

96XP

I'm not sure about the SC-540, but the SP-300V you can lower the capping station while the power it off with the tube thing that come with the machine, you just go underneath and insert it in the hold and turn to lower and then the opposite direction once back in place to raise it. Hope that helps some.
Thanks Zoogee, however I'm not understanding 'tube thing'. When I received the printer from the dealer, that was all I got. Nothing extra, no tools or devices, not even the headlock key or blanks for transport.
Though I will look from underneath with a flashlight to see if I can find a way to navigate via your description. Thank you :)

96XP

Many thanks Jim; first time seeing that tool. Does it simply fit over the exposed shaft - and turn it to raise or lower? Is it CC to lower, CW to raise? Do I need to do/prep anything else beyond using the tool?
Is clearance critical when turning the station back up - and I imagine counting turns during procedure would benefit.

Bigger question is, why the heck hasn't my service tech or dealer whom are both 5 fkn hrs away (one way) whom I've bought two printers and laminators from - ever told me about this? Not like I can get a service call up here in the mountains during the winter season. Sheesh...

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
It's been a while, so the terminology will be off.

We parked ours in the manual head clean area at the far side of the printer. Then, I squirted some cleaning solution on a piece of glass and pushed it against the head for 10 mins or so. You might be able to tape or bungee it up if you need to soak longer. The cleaning solvent will melt some plastics, and the glass is rigid enough that the head's edges will prevent it from making direct contact with the delicate nozzles.

96XP

Thanks for the advice Jester.
It in fact came down to installing a new cap for the 'K'. Waiting for delivery as I'll be swapping out the others too. Sometimes - it's the simplest of things.

MikePro

there no nozzle wash option that allows you to fill caps & park head for up to 99min? thats what we used to do on our dx4 mimaki and just unplugged the machine to bypass the cleaning cycle and the caps/heads stayed soaking overnight

96XP

there no nozzle wash option that allows you to fill caps & park head for up to 99min? thats what we used to do on our dx4 mimaki and just unplugged the machine to bypass the cleaning cycle and the caps/heads stayed soaking overnight
Thanks for dropping in Mike. No option on the SC as far as I'm aware. However I have had to trick it and catch at the right moment to perform the soak. Works, just would have been more convenient had Roland considered just such an option during initial programming.