• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Needing suggestions for repurposing a flex face

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Hey guys/gals, I have a client that I recently took down a 12'x18' flex face lighted sign and installed a new one. The customer would like to install the old sign on the inside of the building. I talked them out of putting the cabinet up on the inside of the building since they aren't going to light it, and also it is 5/8 sheet rock with metal studs and offices behind the wall so accessing the backside is not something I want to do. My initial thought was doing a spring type system, but even that may be overkill. I was thinking about grommets with anchors in the sheetrock, but that isn't neccessarily the classiest solution. Does anyone have any ideas that would be fast and effective?

Thanks

JBurton

Signtologist
Weld up a frame smaller than the original size, wrap the face over and around, then mount it to the wall. For a super fancy look, get some excellart bleed face extrusion and put that together. They'll even miter it to ship to you and you can assemble it with screws only.
Either of these products should work, as long as you don't go ham tensioning the face on site.
image (6).png
image (5).png

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
Weld up a frame smaller than the original size, wrap the face over and around, then mount it to the wall. For a super fancy look, get some excellart bleed face extrusion and put that together. They'll even miter it to ship to you and you can assemble it with screws only.
Either of these products should work, as long as you don't go ham tensioning the face on site.
Those flex frames are essentially what I took down. The frame and trim with backs was over 400 pounds. That's why I didn't want to go back that route. I don't hate the idea of making a frame to wrap over, but cost and difficulty handling something that large, inside of the building just adds to the frustration. That's why my mind went to grommets and sheetrock anchors, but I can't seem to get over the idea of it not looking too good.

brdesign

Those flex frames are essentially what I took down. The frame and trim with backs was over 400 pounds. That's why I didn't want to go back that route. I don't hate the idea of making a frame to wrap over, but cost and difficulty handling something that large, inside of the building just adds to the frustration. That's why my mind went to grommets and sheetrock anchors, but I can't seem to get over the idea of it not looking too good.
if it's going indoors could you build some kind of frame out of wood that would be cheap and lightweight. I'm thinking something like a stretched canvas with a cleat to mount it on the wall. Brick molding makes for good canvas stretcher bars.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Hang it the way you are saying then get some 1x4's (or whatever size you need) and paint them and attach like a frame over the edge then add some kind of little trim piece around that edge. You can screw/nail them up one by one and putty the holes in and touch up with paint.

MikePro

+1 Stacey's suggestion. its a banner on a wall at this point.
just slap it up with lots of grommets and frame/cover the perimeter with something pretty.

JBurton

Signtologist
Remove the back and lights when you reinstall! The frames themselves weigh nothing, it's always the back and the steel subframe if it was added that start adding up.
Wood frame sounds nice, depending on the establishment.
You could order standoffs and put them at the grommet marks, but that would look kinda janky where they don't nicely interface with the grommets.