• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Networking USB connections for Mimaki printers

Forty One

I've always had a dedicated computer to run both my mimaki printers. Connected directly via USB.
But, we've just moved and am currently configuring the layout and positions for the machines.

If, I have a network switch with USB capabilities, would I be able to connect the printers to these ports and still be able to run them successfully?

netsol

if you are actually talking about USB connections, not RJ45 lan connections, you would want to use a product called Usb anywhere from digi. it allows you to plug a usb device in across your network, and has no distance limitation like USB does. It is also the only rock solid solution. I used it for a large client for electronic order submission, hundreds of orders a day, and only needed to restart the device twice over a period of 19 months.
Are the two printers near each other? (one multi port unit) or would 2 units be necessary?

If you post the model of the mimakis, as well as the network switch you are talking about, I can see if there is an easier way

Forty One

Thanks.
I've converted an old netgear adsl2 router into a switch.
currently, both machines are in seperate rooms. A jv33 and a UJF 3042.
they don't like long USB cables or USB 3.0 extensions either.
I can put them into the same room, but as I mentioned earlier, I'm just starting to work out my options.

netsol

In my experience, it will not work.
Buy a couple cheap Chinese USB print servers, startech for example, they are very forgiving

The USB ports on routers have too many parameters embedded in the firmware that will not work properly with wide format printing.

The startechs work great, (almost all the Chinese print servers use the same chip)

We have every device in my shop networked (3 Roland's, 2 edges, Roland engravers, 2 cncs ) generic print servers work best

I would buy on Amazon. They allow returns for any reason.

APCInk

Merchant Member
In my experience, trying to run these older Mimaki printers over anything other than USB can be problematic. You say that your printers “don’t like long USB cables” however we’ve had great success running Mimaki machines up to 50ft away using the 36’ and 50’ active extension cales from Tripplite:

36ft USB
50ft USB

In fact these are so reliable that I carry one of the 36ft ones around in my tool box and it’s my primary cable I use for doing FW Updates and testing.

netsol

In my experience, trying to run these older Mimaki printers over anything other than USB can be problematic. You say that your printers “don’t like long USB cables” however we’ve had great success running Mimaki machines up to 50ft away using the 36’ and 50’ active extension cales from Tripplite:

36ft USB
50ft USB

In fact these are so reliable that I carry one of the 36ft ones around in my tool box and it’s my primary cable I use for doing FW Updates and testing.
USB 2 is limited to 25 feet
It may work beyond that but can not be relied on

APCInk

Merchant Member
USB 2 is limited to 25 feet
It may work beyond that but can not be relied on
Without amplifing the signal, USB is linited to 25ft. The Tripplite cables have an amplier in them that is powered from the 5v USB power. Agreed, not guaranteed, however we’ve got a ton of customers that have been running these cables for years with zero issues (and to be clear, we do not sell these cables, we just really like them)

netsol

Without amplifing the signal, USB is linited to 25ft. The Tripplite cables have an amplier in them that is powered from the 5v USB power. Agreed, not guaranteed, however we’ve got a ton of customers that have been running these cables for years with zero issues (and to be clear, we do not sell these cables, we just really like them)
So do I. Often 35 ft is not really a problem, with good quality, heavy, shielded &braided cables
My point is you can not count of good luck in spec'ing a project & with wide format the occasional error involves a lot more than
Crumbling a sheet of bond paper & hitting print again.
I can't prove that the frequency of printing problems increases with the price of the substrate, (a variant of muphy's law) but we have all
Experienced it.

IgnacioAxolotl

Hi there, my company just bought 2 CG-160FXII Plus, how can i use 2 plutters with just 1 machine, i know that is samthing with the ports, buy i have a lot problems findind the way.

Windows 10 Pro
CG-160FXII Plus x 2
illustrator 2022
Fine CUt 9
Fine Cut 9 / Comunication /usb/ CG-FXIIPLUS 00000000

bouth have the same number...

Attachments

• Captura de pantalla 2022-07-29 165113.png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-07-29 165113.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Captura de pantalla 2022-07-29 165219.png
    Captura de pantalla 2022-07-29 165219.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 107

Forty One

Ive tried to use my USB 3.0 extension (3m - 9 ft) on the jv33 and it didn't like it.
The plotter had no issues.
It could be the standard USB A-B cable. It has done a few years.
I'll try the good configuration of cables with each printer before I jump ahead with the ethernet cables. Keep it simple.