• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New Equipment Advice

farmfreshads

Hey Guys, I've just been asked by my boss to give him a list of some equipment/upgrades that we could buy for our small sign shop. We have an Odyssey Plotter & HP Wide Format Printer that I have been using for over 10 years. I have to outsource a number of the things I do...digital banners, screen printing, etc. Do you guys have any advice on some good things to add to my list? The items need to be under 10,000 total so a new wide format printer (that I really would like) is totally out of the question. Should I get into screen printing, is it that expensive? Any other equipment, programs that you think would benefit me?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Just to give you an idea about what I have already here's a list. Thanks again for your advice.

Odyssey Plotter
HP 2500 CP
CorelDraw X4
Photoshop
Adobe Illustrator
Gerber Omega Software

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Well depending on the type of signage your doing I know I can get the 60" HP-Z6100's for like $3500 those units are great for backlit, tradeshow graphics, canvas, POP signage. Not great for outdoor stuff but you can get a few years outdoors with lam no problem.

Lifer

Digital has been good for us.

We screen print (mostly shirts, some signs) and have Digital equipment for signs, banners, bumper stickers etc. Between the two, the Digital equipment was one of the better investments. Lots of things you can do with it. The printer, when bundled with a laminator & Cutter (signwarehouse) or others will let you do anything from die cut graphics, Labels, to car wraps and banners.

Our printer (ValuJet 1204) has been solid. The only thing I wish is that we could print directly to Coraplast. I saw signs done that way and they are sharp and save the time of applying the sticker to the signs. XANTE makes a Memjet Excelagrahix 4200. Don't know the price. Looked good because the others I saw took up the whole room.

heyskull

We are running a valuejet 1604 with plotter and laminator.
Now over 5 year old and has been the best investment ever. we are still on the original printhead!
you no the saying "print your own money"?
Well this is it signs, banners, labels, posters, vehicle wraps etc.
I am thinking of adding another if I can find the space.
Get the bigger one (ours is 64") as it's nice to know you can go really large.
Avoid latex as it is still in its infancy.