• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

new flex face system....

visual800

well new to me. Ive done several flex faces over the years and its a no brainer. The aluminum tensioners with aluminum retainers. On a recent change out I ran across this crappy Signcomp system, with plastic clips and plastic retainers. We were up in the air and removed the ratainers and then saw these plastic clips .never seen them before never done them. Had to go back on the ground and investigate this. After wacting couple videos we went back up and started popping these clips out. What Ive learned is these clips are not a big fan or being reused and some got damaged which affected their holding grip in the extrusion. even though we cut out material to shape as per old one we still had to "redo" all clips on bottom and one side to correct the postion.

This is something you didnt have to do on the older aluminum clips, it was very aggravating. Another thing that kills me is when you watch videos of them doing this they are office guys and doing a damn 2'x3' sign laying on a table. If you want to impress me get your a$$ 35' up in a truck and try to handle a 10' x 20' flex face and then show me how to do your clips. I am not impressed with this system at all. Have you guys run across this yet out in the world?

JBurton

Signtologist
Oh yes, they are the worst. Any time we quote to reface these in particular (and honestly every flex face), we quote all new clips. There is also a special 'tool' that they sell for inserting and removing the clips, which while not required, makes it a heck of a lot easier to insert the clips (the tool is a forked piece of metal with a slight bend, and two grease-zerts acting as pivot points, it's a joke). The problem as far as matching the old face to new, these clips don't really have any adjustment, just in or out, where the aluminum clips have a 1" adjustment that's easy to work with with a drill and deepwell.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I've done them a few times and didn't really have big problem. I like the metal ones better but still got the job done.