• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP Latex Printer Model

HP today introduced the HP Latex model 110, a 54 inch latex printer intended for the SOHO market. It arrives at a price under $10,000. It is available in the North American market.

Attachments

• HPL110.pdf
    646.1 KB · Views: 338

klmjff

It is most similar to the Latex 310 model, but the model 110 is positioned below the 310, as an entry-level unit.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/commercial-printers/latex-printers/110.html

We are an in-house print operation for a huge Medical company. We might use it 3 days a week and lightly at that. We were looking into getting a 360, but do you think this may be good enough for us?

We will be printing Dreamscape Suede and retractable banners mostly.

Any feedback is appreciated.

All of the models in the Latex 300 Series use the same generation of inks + optimizer, so their compatibility with media is consistent across the line-up. The Latex 110 is intended for lighter duty cycles, and is intended to be assembled and set-up by the user, as opposed to the other models in the series.

400ml ink carts. Not going to last very long at all. Especially if you use daily. Basicallly same speed as the 310. But it will only hold rolls 55lb or less the 360 will do 92lbs. Cool machine not for us.

rjssigns

Interesting. May be a good fit for our shop. Although we won't do anything until there is a serious issue with our Roland.

Robert Gruner

Folks,

The L100 is slick! HP is targeting the 2-3 day a week printer. It targets Roland 36" print and cut small user market. Add a 24", 30", 8", 54" 64" cutter and upgrade included SAI PS RIP to Print and Cut PS RIP.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Folks,

The L100 is slick! HP is targeting the 2-3 day a week printer. It targets Roland 36" print and cut small user market. Add a 24", 30", 8", 54" 64" cutter and upgrade included SAI PS RIP to Print and Cut PS RIP.

Or for $2000 more you can get a full fledge 54" with cheaper inks and better support

Robert Gruner

2CT

I will concede that for$2K more you can purchase the same 54" printer and an ink that is a couple pennies per sq ft printed cheaper; however, I'm not sure about better service?

The L100 includes 6 mos warranty; however, an additional 6 mos warranty is available at no cost if enduser takes HP's online training course.

For decal mfg, I would marry the L110 with a 24" desktop cutter (less than $2K)

Good printing

Christian @ 2CT Media

2CT

I will concede that for$2K more you can purchase the same 54" printer and an ink that is a couple pennies per sq ft printed cheaper; however, I'm not sure about better service?

The L100 includes 6 mos warranty; however, an additional 6 mos warranty is available at no cost if enduser takes HP's online training course.

For decal mfg, I would marry the L110 with a 24" desktop cutter (less than $2K)

Good printing

The Dealers are hands off on these and the 775 cartridges are roughly $0.18/sq vs $0.28/sq on the smaller ones.... that is $50/mo for the rest of the printers life at the 500sq/ft mo they recommend.

BrianKE

I have no experience with printers and have been looking into getting one. Upon reading this post I did a Google search for "HP Latex 110" and found the following comparison from Roland, https://www.rolanddga.com/products/...susA_tjAmkQFXrBLRGytHyfxdVKq2_h8TdRoCq63w_wcB

I have no idea how accurate this is so I would be interested in hearing from others if the numbers Roland is throwing around are accurate.

One point that caught my eye is that there are materials that CANNOT be run in the latex printer due to the high heat. Is this correct?

Christian @ 2CT Media

I have no experience with printers and have been looking into getting one. Upon reading this post I did a Google search for "HP Latex 110" and found the following comparison from Roland, https://www.rolanddga.com/products/...susA_tjAmkQFXrBLRGytHyfxdVKq2_h8TdRoCq63w_wcB

I have no idea how accurate this is so I would be interested in hearing from others if the numbers Roland is throwing around are accurate.

One point that caught my eye is that there are materials that CANNOT be run in the latex printer due to the high heat. Is this correct?

That entire comparison is pure crap.... They lost over 20% of their market share to latex so now they are scrambling to make their archaic solvent seem relevant. What Roland isn't saying is all the materials ecosolv won't print on.... The list is a lot longer than latex now that the 300/110 series is out.

rjssigns

That entire comparison is pure crap.... They lost over 20% of their market share to latex so now they are scrambling to make their archaic solvent seem relevant. What Roland isn't saying is all the materials ecosolv won't print on.... The list is a lot longer than latex now that the 300/110 series is out.

Feet to the coals time. If it is as you say "pure crap" please post your hard data.
What were your research parameters?
What formulas were used to arrive at your metrics to eliminate skewed data?
What was your n ?

Or are you basing your statement on the Null Hypothesis?

"Far easier to condemn than it is to prove"

RJ

Christian @ 2CT Media

Feet to the coals time. If it is as you say "pure crap" please post your hard data.
What was your n ?

RJ

Ink - I'm averaging $0.16/sq ft based on print logs spanning 2 printers over 5 years.
Maintenance Kits - I change my Ink Maintenance Kit and Container 4 - 5 times a year (No Extra cleanings or gutters used) We are averaging 20,000 sq ft /year. $650 total per year
Print heads (biggest lie) - Last year I replaced every head 1 time and Cyans twice. $736 per year

Onyx can be had for under $2000 and is far superior to VersaWorks. A Built in cutter is not an advantage in my opinion and is actually a hindrance for any production shop.

Solvent vs Latex Longevity is debatable but I have unlaminated prints that are 3 years old in AZ that show very little fading.

I have Mutoh prints (When I ran them) that faded in a year. I just replaced 2 year old signs that were run on a roland that were completely black on 180Cv3/8518.

Color Gamut is spot on to 90% of the pantone book with calibrating.

I can print on more materials then most solvents and have found very little that doesn't work.... its all about your profile.

This is the same shtick mutoh pulled years ago when Latex was new to market... it was bunk then as its bunk now.

Hotspur

Roland looking more and more desperate...

What was your n ?

RJ

Allow me to quote from the esteemed and knowledgeable FrankW:

"I have worked several years (and still do that work) as a technician for roland printers, and now work for more than 3 years for a HP Latex dealer. I think I could comment the marketing Roland does.

Print heads

In Switzerland, the cost of ink and consumables (heads and maintenance cartridge) per ml for the HP is lower than for the Roland Eco-Sol-Max ink only (and both the original Mutoh- and the Mimaki-Ink are more expensive than the Roland Ink in Switzerland). And the HP don't suck ink just for cleaning the nozzles. Conclusion: don't be confused about changing the heads more often than on a Roland, calculate everything ... it could be that you will be surprised. I'm shure the situation is not different in the US.

Even changing the heads or the equivalent of Wiper, Capping, Ink Pump and so on can be easily replaced by the customer in minutes. You will never have a Roland up and running again around twenty minutes after a head is broken, even if you have one on stock ... this will work with the HP only.

With the new roland models, you will not pay only a few hundred bucks for print heads, they will charge much more (including ink dampers which should be replaced with the head). And there are 8 ink channels on one head. So if the black nozzles run into problems (the black nozzles are usually the first nozzles with problems), you need to replace the whole head. Because of this you will sometimes run into situations that the permanent piezo head will not print as accurate as new, but you will not replace it because of the costs. We know that because it happens that people are asking us for doing transluzent jobs, or jobs with monochrome surfaces, and after they saw the results very often they order their latex printer within a few weeks instead of spending tausands of swiss francs for replacing a head for a JV33, Mutoh Valuejet or VersaCamm Pro.

Software

Comparing VersaWorks with Onyx is an affrontery. VersaWorks is easy to use, but of really poor functionality. And that is true too when comparing VersaWorks with the FlexiPRINT HP Edition or other RIP's. And the FlexiPRINT will not cost $ 4'000.

And not to forget: the media profiles for the HP Latex 300-Series are universal, can be used with every RIP. There are nearly 500 downloadable directly to the printer, most of them created by professionals in HP's certification agencies. And it is easy to relinearize them and so solve a lot of problems filling the Signs101-Board (grey balance, gradients and much more) easily. With the Latex 360, you could create a complete media profile including ICC from scratch in the printer ... just with interpreting an ink limit swatch and pressing two further buttons (one for automatic linearising and one for automatic ICC swatch printing, reading and profile calculating). With VersaWorks, you can't even get an integrated ICC-Profiler, even if you have a spectrophotometer.

No further request on bulletin boards "Do have someone a profile for me"? Wouldn't that be nice?

Cutter

Comparing the integrated contour cutting system of a Roland Printer with a 7'000 bucks contour cutter is a affrontery too.

The Roland Contour Cutting system is the same since around 15 years, it is slow and of poor functionality. Buying for example a Summa (which for my opinion is the best contour cutting roll plotter on the market) wo allows batch processing (OPOS Barcode), have an enhanced punching system and have a lot of help to optimize cutting accuracy (more than 4 Markers, OPOS Panelling and so on) is much more value for the money.

Models

Comparing a VS or RF640 with a Latex 360 is a joke, but not a good one. The maximum speed of a RF640 is around 18 square meter (High Speed Mode): that speed is less than the regular speed of a Latex 360 producing good quality prints on banner, vinyl and paper (6-Pass), and similar to regular indoor quality printing mode (8 Pass). For being fair, with the VersaCamm Pro or VersaExpress, Roland should have to compare them with a 330, not a 360 ... for comparing a 360, use the Soljet XF640 ... a machine for a list price of $ 29'995, but still less functionality.

Other issues

The scratch resistance of the prints are much higher, with the 360 regularly no feed adjust is neccessary/no feed banding appears (OMAS), the printer prints mesh without liner or fabrics where the ink could drench thanks to the ink collector (360 only), the printer (360 only) can print double-sided easily, the ink don't smell during printing, the motorized unroll-axis will handle rolls constantly independent from the weight, and at last but not least for doing remote control through an app, in opposite to the roland app, with the Latex mobile app you do not need to be in the same network.

Sorry, Roland

I still feel sorry when Rolands arrive for trade-in after replacing them with a Latex-Printer (some of them I've sold myself some years ago). When the XR-640 was released, I have seen the countdown on the website and was happy that something new will arrive ... and was really disappointed that it was another soljet only. I'm aware of that HP have a lot more ressources to develop real innovations than companies like Roland, Mutoh or Mimaki ... but blaming the innovations, doing unfair comparisons and so on will not guide to success.

Two weeks ago I've got in contact with a very loyal roland user for years just because he asks for a software update, he had a look on an XR-640 ... this week we have installed a Latex 360. When the people, if roland user or not, enter our showroom we will catch them most of the time ... sometimes printing samples only will guide to a buy. I keep my fingers crossed that roland will have printers in the near future which will make selling Latex 360 against them not as easy as it is currently ... just for old times sake."