• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

New HP Latex Printer Model

ProColorGraphics

I thought it was skewed too, mainly comparing a printer/cutter versus a separate print and cut setup. Of course an all in one unit is cheaper, but didn't they say the production was faster? I found it way slower for myself and would never go back to an all in one. The other thing I thought of too right away is that the latex must be really eating into their sales to come out bashing the other guy versus saying whey theirs is better. haha. Sounds like politicians.

rjssigns

See guys, wasn't that simple to explain yourself regarding latex vs. eco-solvent? I also find Roland's latest ads odd and I own one. When you have to deride a competitor the argument has been lost.

printndisplay

Almost same, say 98%......

Specification and technical parameters were same for 110 and 310, no difference at all with a little added features.

printndisplay

I thought it was skewed too, mainly comparing a printer/cutter versus a separate print and cut setup. Of course an all in one unit is cheaper, but didn't they say the production was faster? I found it way slower for myself and would never go back to an all in one. The other thing I thought of too right away is that the latex must be really eating into their sales to come out bashing the other guy versus saying whey theirs is better. haha. Sounds like politicians.

The print quality of HP latex is superior than Rolland, best than any other machines. Don't compare print quality of both machines

printndisplay

Allow me to quote from the esteemed and knowledgeable FrankW:

"I have worked several years (and still do that work) as a technician for roland printers, and now work for more than 3 years for a HP Latex dealer. I think I could comment the marketing Roland does.

Print heads

In Switzerland, the cost of ink and consumables (heads and maintenance cartridge) per ml for the HP is lower than for the Roland Eco-Sol-Max ink only (and both the original Mutoh- and the Mimaki-Ink are more expensive than the Roland Ink in Switzerland). And the HP don't suck ink just for cleaning the nozzles. Conclusion: don't be confused about changing the heads more often than on a Roland, calculate everything ... it could be that you will be surprised. I'm shure the situation is not different in the US.

Even changing the heads or the equivalent of Wiper, Capping, Ink Pump and so on can be easily replaced by the customer in minutes. You will never have a Roland up and running again around twenty minutes after a head is broken, even if you have one on stock ... this will work with the HP only.

With the new roland models, you will not pay only a few hundred bucks for print heads, they will charge much more (including ink dampers which should be replaced with the head). And there are 8 ink channels on one head. So if the black nozzles run into problems (the black nozzles are usually the first nozzles with problems), you need to replace the whole head. Because of this you will sometimes run into situations that the permanent piezo head will not print as accurate as new, but you will not replace it because of the costs. We know that because it happens that people are asking us for doing transluzent jobs, or jobs with monochrome surfaces, and after they saw the results very often they order their latex printer within a few weeks instead of spending tausands of swiss francs for replacing a head for a JV33, Mutoh Valuejet or VersaCamm Pro.

Software

Comparing VersaWorks with Onyx is an affrontery. VersaWorks is easy to use, but of really poor functionality. And that is true too when comparing VersaWorks with the FlexiPRINT HP Edition or other RIP's. And the FlexiPRINT will not cost $ 4'000.

And not to forget: the media profiles for the HP Latex 300-Series are universal, can be used with every RIP. There are nearly 500 downloadable directly to the printer, most of them created by professionals in HP's certification agencies. And it is easy to relinearize them and so solve a lot of problems filling the Signs101-Board (grey balance, gradients and much more) easily. With the Latex 360, you could create a complete media profile including ICC from scratch in the printer ... just with interpreting an ink limit swatch and pressing two further buttons (one for automatic linearising and one for automatic ICC swatch printing, reading and profile calculating). With VersaWorks, you can't even get an integrated ICC-Profiler, even if you have a spectrophotometer.

No further request on bulletin boards "Do have someone a profile for me"? Wouldn't that be nice?

Cutter

Comparing the integrated contour cutting system of a Roland Printer with a 7'000 bucks contour cutter is a affrontery too.

The Roland Contour Cutting system is the same since around 15 years, it is slow and of poor functionality. Buying for example a Summa (which for my opinion is the best contour cutting roll plotter on the market) wo allows batch processing (OPOS Barcode), have an enhanced punching system and have a lot of help to optimize cutting accuracy (more than 4 Markers, OPOS Panelling and so on) is much more value for the money.

Models

Comparing a VS or RF640 with a Latex 360 is a joke, but not a good one. The maximum speed of a RF640 is around 18 square meter (High Speed Mode): that speed is less than the regular speed of a Latex 360 producing good quality prints on banner, vinyl and paper (6-Pass), and similar to regular indoor quality printing mode (8 Pass). For being fair, with the VersaCamm Pro or VersaExpress, Roland should have to compare them with a 330, not a 360 ... for comparing a 360, use the Soljet XF640 ... a machine for a list price of $ 29'995, but still less functionality.

Other issues

The scratch resistance of the prints are much higher, with the 360 regularly no feed adjust is neccessary/no feed banding appears (OMAS), the printer prints mesh without liner or fabrics where the ink could drench thanks to the ink collector (360 only), the printer (360 only) can print double-sided easily, the ink don't smell during printing, the motorized unroll-axis will handle rolls constantly independent from the weight, and at last but not least for doing remote control through an app, in opposite to the roland app, with the Latex mobile app you do not need to be in the same network.

Sorry, Roland

I still feel sorry when Rolands arrive for trade-in after replacing them with a Latex-Printer (some of them I've sold myself some years ago). When the XR-640 was released, I have seen the countdown on the website and was happy that something new will arrive ... and was really disappointed that it was another soljet only. I'm aware of that HP have a lot more ressources to develop real innovations than companies like Roland, Mutoh or Mimaki ... but blaming the innovations, doing unfair comparisons and so on will not guide to success.

Two weeks ago I've got in contact with a very loyal roland user for years just because he asks for a software update, he had a look on an XR-640 ... this week we have installed a Latex 360. When the people, if roland user or not, enter our showroom we will catch them most of the time ... sometimes printing samples only will guide to a buy. I keep my fingers crossed that roland will have printers in the near future which will make selling Latex 360 against them not as easy as it is currently ... just for old times sake."

HP latex machines already started to screw other machine makers, it is slowly capturing 80% market, now 110......another big screw

printndisplay

I have no experience with printers and have been looking into getting one. Upon reading this post I did a Google search for "HP Latex 110" and found the following comparison from Roland, https://www.rolanddga.com/products/...susA_tjAmkQFXrBLRGytHyfxdVKq2_h8TdRoCq63w_wcB

I have no idea how accurate this is so I would be interested in hearing from others if the numbers Roland is throwing around are accurate.

One point that caught my eye is that there are materials that CANNOT be run in the latex printer due to the high heat. Is this correct?

offcourse they will shout against ? They too have to exist in market.

Dennis422

I just ordered the Latex 110. Got it from USCutter.com for $7500 shipped.

Already have the 64" laminator, but only a 30" Versacamm (can still do print cut!).

I have BigfishMD supplying the cheapest medias mainly.

Found this Ink supplier: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-compatibl...793626?hash=item33aa9db25a:g:~IIAAOSw4HVWExcz

Super upgrade from my HP 5500PS UV 42" that I bought used/broken and fixed and nursed for five years!

Make sure those will work with your 110.
That printer takes 400ml ink cartridges and not 775ml

BetaCtz

Very much a long time lurker on here.

I was just sent a promo here in Canada by one of our distributors for $9950 cdn.
I'm new to Latex printers. Can I still run the same banner and print media as you would an eco-sol?

Do you laminate latex prints just the same/as usual as you would something out of a eco-sol?

Cheers

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes of course, you can run those same materials no problem. You don't really need to laminate your prints with latex unless your doing certain applications but for stickers and banners I would say no need.

mark galoob

We are an in-house print operation for a huge Medical company. We might use it 3 days a week and lightly at that. We were looking into getting a 360, but do you think this may be good enough for us?

We will be printing Dreamscape Suede and retractable banners mostly.

Any feedback is appreciated.
how are you even a member here...

ikarasu

I was just sent a promo here in Canada by one of our distributors for $9950 cdn.
I'm new to Latex printers. Can I still run the same banner and print media as you would an eco-sol?

Do you laminate latex prints just the same/as usual as you would something out of a eco-sol?

Cheers
Got to love Grimco ;) I'm putting my order in today and paying for it Tomorrow. Finally buying my own printer.. (I work for a company and do all the wide format printing). This machine seems like the best option for Small operations / starting businesses...cant beat the price, and with Latex... you dont need to run a print everyday or risk the heads getting clogged. You cant go wrong, especially at this price - Btw... it's $9950 WITH ink. Which makes it even cheaper than American prices once you factor in the exchange rate. The ink alone is around 1K for a set.

Lane J

Cheers

I work with a L360. I found I could run about 90% off all my same materials, except my pop-up banner materials. I still do those on solvent. I couldn't get the heat setting right after many attempts, the heat warps it like crazy. Dial back the heat and it won't cure the blacks. Still looking for a pop-up material. that I like, for latex.

I can laminate same day, eco-sol the next day. It's a big boost to getting a print through the shop and out the door.

I had a rough time with the 360 when I first got it. The first printer was DOA (major electrical/board problems) and the support I got from the distributor was horrendous. Totally on the distributors end, the new machine works just fine. Around 50'000 ft² printed since August 2016. If you go through a bigger distributor, like ND graphics, you would probably have a lot less problems than I did!

BetaCtz

Yes of course, you can run those same materials no problem. You don't really need to laminate your prints with latex unless your doing certain applications but for stickers and banners I would say no need.

Most print media is always a lot thinner, and needs the laminate to thicken it up a little, so that general population can actually install a small decal easier.
Correct me if I'm wrong here?

If you're not laminating, I assume you'd be using a thicker mil print media?

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes if your not laminating I would recommend using a 5 mil vinyl, that is the typical thickness I sell.

Most print media is always a lot thinner, and needs the laminate to thicken it up a little, so that general population can actually install a small decal easier.
Correct me if I'm wrong here?

If you're not laminating, I assume you'd be using a thicker mil print media?

Correct Color

Just a couple points...

Onyx can be had for under $2000 and is far superior to VersaWorks.

Actually, while Onyx RIPCenter can be had for under two grand, it's not a very full-featured version. In fact, in some ways it is less robust than Versaworks -- given that it has no Media Manager -- and in fairness to Roland, I've always felt that Versaworks might just be the most user-friendly, intuitive RIP out there. Guys who start on it tend to love it and hate anything else when they have to move to other printers. Since Roland ponied up for Pantone Libraries in Versa, the Versa/RIPCenter comparison is not such a slam-dunk for Onyx.

Color Gamut is spot on to 90% of the pantone book with calibrating.

Well, actually... no.

First, very few inksets will capture 90% of the Pantone Solid Coated Library, and those that will tend to be aqueous machines printing with CMYK+ inksets on very smooth and typically high-gloss surfaces. Second, the calibration and profiling process built in to the Latex machines that have it can charitably be described as adequate but uninspiring. If you're doing run-of-the-mill work, it's okay, but it's sure not going to give you fine-art quality or be testing any gamut boundary limits.

It depends on media, on particular inksets, and more than anything on profiles, of course, but with all factors being equal, solvent beats eco-solvent and eco-solvent beats latex when it comes to ability to get overall gamut; and it's important to note in that regard that solvent and eco-solvent has a pretty significant advantage over latex in particular in darker colors and black point.

jayhawksigns

See guys, wasn't that simple to explain yourself regarding latex vs. eco-solvent? I also find Roland's latest ads odd and I own one. When you have to deride a competitor the argument has been lost.
Three's a line between saying our printer can do this and our competitor can't.

I also have to give kudo points to a company who is willing to admit that their product isn't the best in a certain area. Watched an Epson online seminar Friday. Epson rep specifically said that if scratch resistance was a top priority, go latex, Epson can't compete on that point.